Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need For Speed (1!) - best version??????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need For Speed (1!) - best version??????????

Just been reading the 3DO/Jaguar thread and soz for this quite anal thread but it got me thinking...

I remember getting Need For Speed on the Saturn back in '96 and found it pretty impressive because I thought it would be jerky shovelware, but on playing it, it seemed like EA took some time over it and it managed to be a good, solid Saturn conversion, pretty impressive. Yes, it handled like iron-coated bricks, but it still had a nice, 'panoramic', real-life feeling, which many racers lacked at that time. I played it for hours on Saturday nights with Jeru's 'Wrath Of The Math' on in the background.

The 3DO version seems to be held up as the best version (possibly because it was the first??), and the PS1 version seemed to be an 'obviously, duh' as the machine was commonly perceived as the bee's knees in terms of 3D output at the time.

Anyway, as this series has proved to be such a phenomenal success over the last decade and a bit, what are your experiences of the various versions, and what's the best one?

I bougt this on the saturn last month, great game and the only good NFS imoh

Comment

I have Underground and Most Wanted on GC, Underground 2 on DS (played Carbon and Prostreet), and Carbon on the Wii.

I would have to say I've enjoyed Carbon lot since I bought it for the Wii, and for the DS Prostreet is miles better that UG2 and Carbon. I haven't played it a lot as I'm waiting to pick up a copy from the States at some point.

Comment

The best one is the original on 3do. It had more sim like qualities and extra info on the specs of the cars and FMV of a challenger. It's been a long time since I played it, I'm sure someone can give you more detail.
        I was dissapointed with the Saturn and PS1 versions as they stripped a lot of the presentation out and the hadling of the cars was different. The recent versions are not really comparable they just have that "need for Speed" franchise.

Comment

The version that comes very close to the original has to be Hot Pursuit 2 (oh, how I was happy), mostly because of the setting: woods, cliffs etc.

After that they bought the Burnout franchise (which initially handled a lot like the original NfS and looked like THC imo) and managed to pull both down the drains... Burnout got a bit of a gameplay boost but lost the original idea of just driving around, NfS got that "bow skeetskeet" makeover where you have to pimp your car and yourself....

All of the charm was lost and every game was just as the previous one.. Wait, could that be EA? "I must avenge my father, for they have killed him"

EDIT: Played the NfS 1 PS1 version and have the Saturn version, must opt for the latter, controlls better.
          Last edited by Shinebi; 26-03-2008, 09:37.

Comment

I used to love the PC version of Need for Speed: Special Edition that was great (had extra courses and a few more cars).

The 3DO version is great, but I believe cut back quite a lot, it just has 3 long point to point courses, 1 vs 1 or time trial (no racing "The Pack") and much more basic visuals than the PS1/Sat/PC versions of the game. It's still an amazing feat for the 3DO though and you just can't believe the (c) year for the game.

Comment

The 3DO version was a revelation in its time. The visuals were pretty astonishing, with the long draw-distance, detailed scenary and effects.

It's the physics that made the game so great though. You could get some decent speed( the feel of weight and wind effect helped a lot ) .. and really felt on the edge, as you tried to stay in control, as you passed other cars, and avoided oncoming vehicles.

The courses were very well designed. The roads had great corners, tunnels, winding ridges, and each was distinctive.

The crashes were full of weight and a joy to behold. This feature really was impressive back in 94/95.

I remember buying Need For Speed 2, for the PS1, and being gutted. EA had given the franchise to a new team, who went for a different visual style( unrealistic and boring ), and gave players weak arcade physics and control.

It just felt soooo mediocre and lightweight.

No NFS game has been in anyway like the original 3DO version. The series went down a different route, and that's why so many people talk fondly of the unique 3DO edition.

I'd really like a modern update, or something like Test Drive used to be.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 27-03-2008, 06:32.

Comment

Thanks for the replies on this. So it's basically 3DO > Saturn > PS1. I didn't know how much had been chopped out of the SS/PS versions, and was assuming the PS one to be 'the nuts' as far as this game goes.

I remember getting NFS2 on the PS1 and initially thinking it was absolutely appalling - the graphics were pretty dreadful, jerking about all over the shop. But there was something fun about it, and that Mediterranean-style track had a nice atmos to it.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                  Thanks for the replies on this. So it's basically 3DO > Saturn > PS1. I didn't know how much had been chopped out of the SS/PS versions, and was assuming the PS one to be 'the nuts' as far as this game goes.

I remember getting NFS2 on the PS1 and initially thinking it was absolutely appalling - the graphics were pretty dreadful, jerking about all over the shop. But there was something fun about it, and that Mediterranean-style track had a nice atmos to it.
                  I loved the 3DO version, and I thought the PS1 would deliver an even stronger version of that, but it turned-out to be shiiiiite

The good points of the original: strong physics, realistic feel, and detailed visuals, had been replaced with a lightweight feel, and on the whole, bland visuals.

Seems like the casual market, or mainstream if you want to call it that, love simple, stress free racing games. It's a real shame.

Comment

Underground 2 aint bad, mainly for the car sounds which are great.

I always enjoyed the Original because the courses weren't tracks. The point to point racing was great.
                    Although it might be a touch of rose tinted glasses because im sure the handling was a bit iffy in the original.

Comment

Working...
                    X