Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The GBA Micro. Retro Picks on the move...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first Wario Ware is the best game on the system.

Comment

i love my gba sp backlit more, not only does it have a bigger screen and buttons, it plays old gameboy and gb colour games too, something a micro will never do.

Comment

I'm very tempted to pick up a micro even though I've got a standard GBA and an SP. The Ganbare Goemon 1+2 cart (basically the first 2 SFC games) would be perfect for it. Try Mr.Driller 2 and the Klonoa platformers, too.

I'll just add the sad comment that Japanese GBA boxes are my all time favourite game boxes.
        Last edited by Wil; 27-03-2008, 08:27. Reason: Sad fact

Comment

Ninja 5-0 baby. Ninja 5-0. Difficult to get hold of but awesomes. Also known as Ninja Cop, as Oh Mutants excitedly states above.

Comment

Coloris is my favourite from the Bit Generations series. Addictive as hell and looks fantastic on the micro, too.

Comment

Also,
              Metal slug,
              all the Castlevanias,
              Street fighter zero 3, the best fighter on the gba. I like sf2 and kof on the gba although not everyone does.
              Gunstar super hereos
              is jaw droppingly good and as you have sonic advance 2 and 3 already you should pick up sonic advance 1 as its better than both 2 and 3, and its the only sonic on the gba developed by Sega Japan, And fact fans it was the very first game Sega ever published on a Nintendo system. O/ high five for Wil jpn gba boxes ftw!

Comment

Lots of good suggestions here, but I personnaly think you should avoid conversions of games that originally required more than two buttons - e.g., I wouldn't buy streetfighter ports for gaming on the go anymore - even the PSP version of SFZ3 was a big letdown control-wise.

On the other hand : stuff like the Advance Wars, Metroids, Metal Slug, Castlevania, Final Fantasy remakes IV-V-VI, Fire Emblem, Gunstar Heroes, Sonic, Super Mario Advance 1-4 remakes etc. is brilliant - really tailored to the strenghts of the little machine.
                Last edited by Swaain; 27-03-2008, 09:28. Reason: typo

Comment

It is my personal opinion that the GBA Micro is the ultimate portable games system. In ways, as much as I love my DS, I resent that the launch of the DS killed the GBA prematurely and just as the ultimate iteration had been made.

As for the small screen, I don't think I've found a game that has any problem with it. Some great suggestions here, although I agree with Swaain on SFZ3 and games that needed more buttons. It's an admirable port with a crazy amount of characters but that you have to press two buttons to get some normal moves just kills it for me.

But many must-haves are already listed. Yeah, get Sonic Advance 1. It's the best of that bunch. Also Super Mario Bros 3 is a must-have. It is absolutely perfect for the GBA. Mario Kart GBA, Astro Boy, the Metroids (especially Zero) and, yeah, if you like RPGs there are plenty of classics to choose from, though not many originals. The Golden Sun ones are highly rated but I never finished the first. The first Wario Ware is a must.

I still think they should have released Pocket Fighter for the GBA. And a souped-up version of Match of the Millennium would have had me wet my pants. But, alas, it wasn't to be. The GBA conversion of Metal Slug 1 also dropped off the planet. Poxy DS.

Comment

Some brilliant posts here! Thanks!

I'm fedup carting the PSP and GP2x around on my travels, and look forward to the small micro in my top pocket!

Gonna try these 4 first.

Sonic Advance 1
                    Mario 4 (Super Mario World)
                    Gunstar Heros
                    Golden Sun

Thanks again!

Comment

Just remembered about puzzle fighter as well. A quality puzzle game and a solid conversion. Also pinball of the dead is ace fun.

Comment

GBA Puzzle Fighter is seriously bugged. I thought it was pretty shoddy and I wouldn't recommend it at all.

There are a few good GBA pinball games. Pinball of the Dead, as mentioned, but also Pokemon Pinball, Sonic Pinball Party and actually the Muppets Pinball game is pretty good too.

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle View Post
                          The first Wario Ware is the best game on the system.
                          +10 love it to bits. Just got myself Twisted too and thats actually retained a lot of the charm from the original, unlike every sequel since.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh_Mutants View Post
                            Ninja Cop! Ninja Cop! Ninja Cop!
                            What is this? Is it good? etc.

Edit, just Youtubed it. Looks good.
                            Last edited by charlesr; 27-03-2008, 11:44.

Comment

They've probably been mentioned already but...

F-Zero: GP Legend....AMAZING game, and still nicely playable on a Micro.

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga...Rad looking RPG with witty and Nintendo nostalgia laced script.

Another mention for Rhythm Tengoku and the Warioware's too!

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                                What is this? Is it good? etc.

Edit, just Youtubed it. Looks good.
                                You should have it somewhere Charlo.

Comment

Working...
                                X