Devil May Cry 2 - a rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devil May Cry 2 - a rant

Just how did Capcom manage to ruin what must surely be one of the best games this generation? You would have thought that a game centered around one of the best videogame characters Ive seen, following on from a game with sublime, intense and exciting gameplay like the original couldnt go far wrong? What we have is a dull, easy and bland romp through uninspired levels consisting of some very poor level design and unimaginitive adversaries. Dantes new moves cannot even compensate for the games shortfalls. For me the game is no better than average, and I expected a whole lot more from Capcom than what they delivered. Am I alone in feeling totally let down and deflated by Capcom in this instance, or do you feel the game is a worthy sequel to the original?

Originally posted by marcus
    Am I alone in feeling totally let down and deflated by Capcom in this instance, or do you feel the game is a worthy sequel to the original?
    You're certainly not alone - the journey through DMC2 is mostly banal, with only moments of greatness (I enjoyed the boss fight against Bolverk & his 2 wolves)

The ultimate example that I always cite is level 5 - where the enemies consist of 3 tanks & a helicopter - which makes for one of the most inane & drawn out gaming experiences I've had.

In it's own right, DMC2 is an OK/average game - as a sequel to DMC it's a disappointment.

Comment

Sir. I find your comments on Devil May Cry 2 to be horrifyingly accurate. This easily ranks as one of the most disappointing sequels ever. All the fun, the character and the cool of DMC1 has been chucked out the window in favour of boring, simplistic combat, a central character with less charisma than Gareth Gates, and IMO the game doesn't even LOOK as good as the 1st (usually graphical improvements are a given in a sequel. Hmmm).

Hatred.

Is anyone reviewing this crock for the site?

Comment

I must admit, what started out as a promising game, considering I'd never really played the first one, quickly turned into a chore rather than a labour of love.

As mentioned earlier, Level 5 was enough to convince me that the experience was being strung out far too much and after the third helicopter battle, I'd had enough.

Comment

The problem almost certainly stems from the fact that none of the original team (bar one I believe) were involved in the project at all.

It was these people that gave DMC its original essence and when you crowbar in a completely different team they are surely going to struggle recreating the work of others.

Comment

I was well disappointed with DMC2

Dante is not the same character is was in the first game, none of the enemies pose a decent challenge to the player, there is no emphasis on style anymore - you can get S grade by simply attaking repeatedly.
            Dante in DMC2 is not an evolution of the 1st design, he's overly simplified - none of the stuff he's known for connects properly anymore and I spent the whole tiome trying to working out something stylish - ANYTHING!! but so far have got nothing compared to the sickness I can pull of on the 1st game.

On the 1st game I can just stand in an area and fight constantly for hours without getting bored (racking up HUGE amount of red orbs) - on DMC2 I spend the whole time trying to find someone/thing that poses some form of threat (even on hard mode)

Could it be due to Capcom listening to people crying about the first game being too hard? - serious, I cant understand what they were thinking...I hate over simplified rubbish like this, games on the whole are too easy now as it is without them being dumbed down even further.

Comment

As a sequel it stinks but on its own its a pretty good game in my view.

Neil.

Comment

Is anyone reviewing this crock for the site?
                I do believe that Rep (Daddy Cool...or whatever he's called these days) has reviewed it. Should be online within the week.

Comment

Since when was the original DMC the paragon of "maximum awesomeness"?

Comment

Devil May Cry was created by the Resident Evil team. Since they're all off completing the new Resident Evil 4, they left the design, programming and shipping of Devil May Cry 2 to the Work Experience guy. Just think, the guy who made DMC2 could in fact be Hula Hoops' own Steve Threlfall.

Comment

Originally posted by Cacophanus
                      Since when was the original DMC the paragon of "maximum awesomeness"?
                      By my estimation, since it was made.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadruharazzeb
                        By my estimation, since it was made.
                        I thought the general consensus was that it was a "flawed gem", which I would agree with. It looks pweddy but the funky camera work and surreal game design for the last section of the game left much to be desired. Beats the crap out of Otogi though.

Comment

Naah, it was a classic. IMO of course. Surreal end sections are all the rage with games these days. Look at Silent Hill (1 & 2), Onimusha (1 & 2), Metal Gear Solid.... 2

Devil May Cry beats them all (and the rest) by offering the perfect blend of in-yer-face precision combat, nice adventure elements, lush visuals, and groovy character design.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadruharazzeb
                            Naah, it was a classic. IMO of course. Surreal end sections are all the rage with games these days. Look at Silent Hill (1 & 2), Onimusha (1 & 2), Metal Gear Solid.... 2
                            I just think that powering up sequentially through a game only to have that "training" amount to naff all, reeks of bad design. Lacks direction.

Devil May Cry beats them all (and the rest) by offering the perfect blend of in-yer-face precision combat, nice adventure elements, lush visuals, and groovy character design.
                            Precision? The rest I would agree with though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cacophanus
                              I just think that powering up sequentially through a game only to have that "training" amount to naff all, reeks of bad design. Lacks direction.
                              Eh?

Precision? The rest I would agree with though.
                              Alright, maybe not as precise as VOOT, but it's still a hell of a lot more precise than the inane button-mashing of DMC2. There was the fact that you had to time button-presses and combine them with spceific directions (and weapons) to achieve certain moves, and that those certain moves worked better again some enemies than others.

Comment

Working...
                              X