Sega 32X fault...............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sega 32X fault...............

Yeah yeah I know, not the most reliable of consoles to start with!

It powers up fine however when loading up Doom, the Doom splash screen is missing (well, it's there but it's very hard to make out the Doom logo, almost a completely black screen). The menu and select screen appears just fine, however the 3d graphics in the game are as per the splash screen, present but almost non-existent, as though someone had turned the brightness right down on that portion of the gamescreen!

On Mortal Kombat 2, the menu is there although the character selection screen goes to the "who turned that brightness right down!" effect seen in Doom above, and when you go into game the backrounds are present and clear as day, however the sprites, surprise surprise, are not.

Very odd, I've done the usual standard procedure of stripping it down and removing and reseating/cleaning the 2 white ribbon cables in there to no avail. It's definitely not the AV cable and it's something in the guts of the console somewhere.

Any ideas guys? Would be a bastard to have to donate it to my spares bin as it's boxed and complete

Sorry, it's bricked. Unless you can double check on another Megadrive. I know some Megadrive 1s didnt work with 32x.

Comment

Whoa, thanks for the tip. It had worked on my Megadrive mk1/MegaCD mk1 combo only a couple of times, otherwise it kept going on the blink.

Thankfully I'm a hoarder and I've a Megadrive mk2/MegaCD mk2 combo as well. Tried it out, worked first time.

Rather confused. Anyone know how or why the 32X seems to work on my Mk2 MD but not the Mk1?

The only sad thing is that I can't have it perched on the Mk1 combo, it looks so much better on there than on the ugly Mk2.
      Last edited by Hairydavey; 12-04-2008, 13:09. Reason: More ranting and raving.

Comment

Some megadrive 1's have a slightly different hardware revisions making it incompatible with the 32x. When I worked at Future zone when the 32X was launched we had lots back that didnt work on a MD1. Worked fine on mine so I guess I was lucky.

Comment

Working...
        X