Okami (Wii)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okami (Wii)

I thought to start a new thread for this new incarnation of Capcom's adventure as the old thread was hidden deep into the bowels of the forum's DB.

These are only quick impressions on the Wii build, much has been said on the game quality. I've played about 10 hours on the PS2 and I always felt that it dragged things a bit too much, so the introduction of the plus button to skip any cutscene is a welcome addition to the formula.

The game supports 16:9 and progressive scan. 16:9 is something that the original game needed, giving the player the freedom to look around without moving or playing with the camera. As a further change to the game's graphics Ready at Dawn chose to greatly reduce the paper filter on the whole game and increase color saturation to the point that some colors are almost too bright (component vs component, NTSC/US). I always thought that Okami was one of the more artistically accomplished games of its generation, and these changes, especially color, partially degrade the game's artistic value...although gray and "evil" places are still mostly gray, the brighter colors definitively how certain parts of the game are felt.
    Probably it's a subtle difference that only who played the PS2 version will notice, but right now I feel that the PS2 version has an edge over the Wii version...artistically. Technically both versions are very similar, slowdowns seem to be exactly in the same places and there are no FPS spikes. At the very least, loading times are shorter. Saving and loading is lighting fast thanks to the Wii internal memory.

Now, controls. Again, it might be something that only PS2 players will notice, but the game doesn't really fit well with the Wiimote.
    Main issue: camera control. On the PS2 it was assigned on the right anlog stick, on the Wii it's mapped on the Wiimote d-pad and 2 button. With environments build with a full (and easy) camera control in mind (just fiddle with the right analog), moving the camera around with the d-pad or using the palm of your hand to change the camera back to third-person is awkward and unintuitive. Probably switching between movement and camera control by, say, using the C button would have felt better.
    A is assigned to jump and B to the celestial canvas, while attack is mapped to Wiimote waggling, being it the headbutt during exploration or mirror swinging during demon encouters. Minus brings up the option menu and plus the Fan menu...maybe ignoring the option menu and mapping the celestial canvas to minus (easily reachable with your thumb) and attack to either A or B would have made things better, as swinging the remote around to attack just doesn't feel right, as the motion has a relatively high chance to get ignored by the game.
    I know that it would have required some more time, work and money to do, but giving players the option to use the GC or Classical pad would have won more points in my eyes.

"But", you would say, "the celestial brush must feel great with the Wiimote".
    Well, yes and no. Basically, you're using the Wiimote in pointer mode. Af first, it feels strange: again, maybe it's just me and my mindset (when I first saw the celestial canvas, a brush and I felt pen-like object in my hand I set myself into "graphic tablet mode" and started to use it like I would with my graphic tablet), but it's something you must get used to, especially if you're expecting to draw immediately perfectly straight lines or perfectly round circles: the Wiimote is too sensible and you will end drawing...things. Luckily enough you can held down Z to have a perfectly straight line to help you during the celestial slash motion. Pattern recognition seems improved and now circles-that-aren't-really-circles are accepted and after a couple of times, everything feels better than with an analog stick, but I'd have preferred being able to use the Wiimote as a real brush...think Zack and Wiki or Warioware, Wiimote in vertical position, "head" pointing down and moving it like it was a real brush. That would have been pure joy.

And, yes, the cover features an IGN watermark near Amaterasu's mouth. When I first read about it I couldn't believe it, then when I saw that it was true I started ROTFLing.

Shame to hear that controls are lacking. According to various reports, wiimote responds attacks far better if you swing wiimote lightly (i.e. not in the same way as you did In Twilight Princess), but I can't confirm this as I haven't played the game yet.

BTW, according to Capcom, most graphical differences are result of Clover's poor sourcecode, and Wii GPU's different color output. Ready at Dawn was forced to reverse-engineer many effects, resulting in subtle, and not-so-subtle differences. I guess RAD did very good for 7 month rush job.

Comment

Yes, the attack responds better to quick snaps than slow, large movements...I know I'm nitpicking on controls, but slower motions would have been better, even with Okami' slow combos. Swinging the Wiimote in combat to see Ammy standing still is a dire sight, but if
      RaD had to reverse engineer almost everything, I cannot complain much.

Comment

thanks for the impressions! is there no option to configure controls/buttons to my liking? and do you recommend the PS2 version over the Wii version after having played both of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
          thanks for the impressions! is there no option to configure controls/buttons to my liking? and do you recommend the PS2 version over the Wii version after having played both of them?
          Nope, no remap option. As for the best version...right now I'll go for the PS2 version, I'm starting to hate how you attack on the Wii: swinging the remote around hoping the motion will be sensed is just too random for my tastes. The Wii version has the upper hand on celestial brush instances and technical superiority (16:9, prog scan, loads and saves faster), but since combat is an important part of the game, having faulty controls there isn't helping.

Comment

4:3 and 480i isn' exactly what i want from a game nowadays... guess this will be a tough choice for me...

Comment

I'm impressed with the Wii controls for Okami. A tiny flick is all that is need for attack. Much like the spinning punch move from Mario Galaxy. I think they've done a rather excellent job implementing them.

I feel a bit let down with the visuals in the wii version. Subtle parchment filter, Over saturated colours. and crap, glitchy shadows.

But widescreen/480p is nice. And the framerate is a bit better.

Comment

Whats with the IGN logo?

Comment

There's an IGN logo on the front cover, near Ammy's mouth. Once you realize it's there, it's even worse than the huge red/white mark with Play's review score.

Comment

4:3 and 480i isn' exactly what i want from a game nowadays... guess this will be a tough choice for me...
                    If you have a BC capable PS3 and a HDTV, it's a no-brainer.
                    Last edited by J0e Musashi; 22-04-2008, 08:13.
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Why is it that Wii ports are so lacking? If all that gets added is a less than perfect control scheme then why bother?

Ok, so I've yet to experience Okami on either system, but given the choice I'd rather take the superior PS2 version for about a fiver these days, than a full priced Wii game full of lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                        Why is it that Wii ports are so lacking?
                        Companies are rushing to support Wii, and ports are fastest way to create support. Unfortunately, nearly all ports are done under tight scheducles (for example, Okami was ported in 7 months). Not to mention that Wii's GPU isn't DirectX or OpenGL based, and if you haven't developed for it before, learning its quirks requires some time. In fact, most companies still can't re-create even most basic shaders with TEV, because there wasn't ever need to learn using it during the Gamecube era.
                        Last edited by elkatas; 22-04-2008, 08:27.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                          If you have a BC capable PS3 and a HDTV, it's a no-brainer.
                          well, yes and no. it's much less of a problem with a quality HDTV setup nowadays. but no soft- or hardware deinterlacer can completely make up for the lack of progressive signal output of the source material, right?

Comment

well, yes and no. it's much less of a problem with a quality HDTV setup nowadays. but no soft- or hardware deinterlacer can completely make up for the lack of progressive signal output of the source material, right?
                            Actually I think it can. The PS3-upscaled and deinterlaced 480i signal looks surprisingly good. Especially on cartoony material like Okami. I haven't seen the Wii-version, but the PS2 version on my PS3 looks pretty awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by HHarm View Post
                              Actually I think it can. The PS3-upscaled and deinterlaced 480i signal looks surprisingly good. Especially on cartoony material like Okami. I haven't seen the Wii-version, but the PS2 version on my PS3 looks pretty awesome.
                              i have a Plasma TV with Faroudja DCDi chispset and i doubt it would look much worse on it. however, there still remains a quality gap. of course you had to compare side by side to actually get the difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X