Loopop Cube: Lup * Salad DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loopop Cube: Lup * Salad DS

I bought this on the strength of this review and so far, it's looking to be a corker.

It feels like a platformer, but it's really a single move based puzzle game. You have to move set distances, or jump a set height and it's always obvious how far you can go and where you will land.

The ruleset is very small which is good and basically involved pushing blocks around so they touch matching colours and disappear to clear the level. If you don't want to push them, you can jump over.

Blocks drop through holes and you can't pull blocks so pushing them up against a wall is probably bad. You can't push the bottom block in a stack because the stack will crush you.

There's no timelimit and nothing chasing you, so it's just you vs the puzzles. And they quickly get the brain whirring into life. Perfect for short sessions, but realistically, they'll turn into long sessions unless you are out and about.

Bizarre plot thing going on though about a girl and some cake....

No Japanese knowledge needed really.
    Enjoy.
    Last edited by charlesr; 23-04-2008, 11:52.

I got this based on that review to and have only played it for about 15 minutes but it was so cheerful I think i'm going to like it a lot. Seems simple at the moment but I'm sure its going to get much harder.

I noticed on one level that by holding R she solved the puzzle all on her own, though. Is this just in case you get annoyingly stuck and need some hints?
    Last edited by jezzace; 23-04-2008, 14:49.

Comment

This slipped right under my radar. I best get onto getting it.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

From the review:
        "In the opening sets of puzzles holding the R button will demonstrate the solution which is helpful if you simply can’t work out what this strange new block does"

Y undoes the last action too.

Comment

Nice one, cheers. On the ice stages now and it has increased in difficulty a fair bit already. Either that or I'm just an idiot.

Anyways the music is superb, so sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by jezzace View Post
            I noticed on one level that by holding R she solved the puzzle all on her own, though. Is this just in case you get annoyingly stuck and need some hints?
            It still doesn't count it solved if you do that though so you still have to replicate the solution, which is sometimes easier said than done! You'll be cursing the absence of it later on too, the puzzles get really hard. I've got about 25 left to solve now but my pace has slowed to a crawl because almost everything for the last 50 or so has been bloody tough, it's brilliant fun though. Working out a really hard puzzle after tons of attempts is amazing

Comment

That first Ice stage level was devious. Lord knows what the later levels will be like.

Anyone liking this should get loderunner DS and try the Championship mode. Hairloss-tastic.

Comment

You can use the R button to solve every puzzle as long as you dont move, as soon as you move it blanks out. In theory you can see the ending without solving a single puzzle on your own.

It was enjoyable for a few worlds but i found it got dull pretty quickly, however the music is fab & in full on karaoke mode too with the song lyrics going across the bottom. The cake song is the best

Suuupongi fuwa fuwa......
                Last edited by importaku; 23-04-2008, 16:25.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                  You can use the R button to solve every puzzle as long as you dont move, as soon as you move it blanks out. In theory you can see the ending without solving a single puzzle on your own.
                  Only for the first difficulty which isn't much more than a practice mode anyway. The harder two difficulties have the option greyed out from the start and it's all up to the player, no hints!

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                  It was enjoyable for a few worlds but i found it got dull pretty quickly
                  Dull is the last word I'd use to describe this! If you're not a puzzle fan I can't imagine it does much to change that but dull? It's the brightest game in the world

Comment

Well maybe dull isn't the exact choice of word but i have played puzzle games pretty similar to this so it gets old very fast.

Comment

I'm still really loving how satisfying it is to solve a really hard puzzle. I must have spent three or four hours on this one puzzle, at almost every point in the puzzle you've got a 50/50 choice and whatever you move blocks something else off. Ages, it took me, but cracking it was utterly awesome, I genuinely went "YES!" with hands in the air. My girlfriend thinks I'm weird now

Comment

Agh. For the first time playing this game I feel like giving up

I've got just four puzzles left to solve in the third difficulty (and I assume, the entire game) but they've got me entirely beaten. One has, at least, I've not given the other three enough play time but it's not looking good! A good four or five hours has been spent on 12-5 and I'm still utterly clueless.

That's the one problem with these obscure Japanese puzzle games, I guess, I'm never going to be able to rely on GameFAQs/the internet for help, and it may have to remain unbeaten, but so close!

Comment

Loopop Cube Loop Salad - what's that option?

Just finished easy difficulty on Loopop Cube. Bbest puzzle game in ages. Puzzle fans need to buy it right now.
                          Can someone please tell me what the option that appears at the top right is?
                          The next difficulty level up has always been available but on the main select screen with the game, gallery, options, there's another menu where you can change certain options and play puzzles from that.
                          What's it for?
                          If no one knows off-hand, I'll try to provide a picture later for one of the clevers to unkanjify.
                          Ta!
                          Last edited by charlesr; 13-05-2008, 13:49.

Comment

Post a pic and we'll tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by vertigo View Post
                              Best puzzle game in ages, can't believe there's no thread on it apart from the review. Puzzle fans need to buy it right now....
                              All right; I'll take care of this mess:
                              1. There is already a thread about this game in the First Play folder. edit by charlesr: NOW MERGED INTO ONE THREAD.
                              2. The reviewer should know exactly what the 'Hiking' mode is all about. Right, Matt?
                              3. This thread should really be in the 'Technical Services' section of the forum.

Really––poor show there, vertigo. [Shakes head.] Mods: ban him, please.
                              Last edited by charlesr; 13-05-2008, 13:50.

Comment

Working...
                              X