Best Ever In-game Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Ever In-game Music

Was playing Symphony of the Night on my PsP last night before the united match and i'd had forgotten just how incredible the music in that game was.
    It got me thinking of my favourite in game music that i've heard down the years, so i thought i'd create a thread to see what game music the other forumers remember as being really standout.

I've listed my top 5 although there are probably loads more i have forgotten about.

1: Vice City (PS2).. Could'nt really be anything else for me. Fcuking ace 80's tunes from the era i grew up in, (Radio Fever was brilliant). I always remember the mission where you had to take out all the gansters at a mansion in a chopper while Michael Jackson was warbling "u wanna be starting something" in the background. Totally surreal and an unbelievable gaming experience

2: Castlevania SoTN (PS1).. Fantastic music in every stage. The clock tower especially. Totally atmospheric and evocative.

3: Guitar Hero (Multi).. Speaks for itself i suppose, but playing the tunes with a plastic guitar raises the game to a stratospheric level.

4: Actraiser (SNES)..Really really good music to this game. A cross between rock and classical.

5: Outrun (Arcade).. Some of the best arcade music i have ever heard even to this day.

Notable mentions: Ghouls and Ghosts (SNES), Xenon 2 (amiga), FFVll (PS1), Eternal Sonata (360)

I'll probably list more as i remember them or see what jogs my memory from other peoples posts

The bow and arrow bonus round music from Rambo III on MD.

Chun-Li theme from SSF2 CPS-2.

Billy Kane theme from Garou Densetsu Real Bout Special MVS.

Intro to MGS/Integral when Snake is swimming into the lift area.

Second part of Stage 5 of Final Fight.
    Last edited by J0e Musashi; 30-04-2008, 12:53.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Super Castlevania is properly the best music I have ever heard in game. Everytime I hear it it never fails to impress.
      Also worthy of a mention: Super ghouls n ghosts, Street Fighter 2, Streets of Rage 2, Revenge of Shinobi, Zelda games, and Super Metroid.

Comment

I really like the music in OutRun 2 - some nice remixes of classic choons (as they say round here).

Super Mario Galaxy has a gorgeous soundtrack. I can boot that game and just stand in the hub section listening to the amazing orchestral piece.

Metal Gear Solid - certainly the main theme from 2 by Harry Gregson-Williams. Always makes me shiver when it really kicks off.

Ridge Racer Type 4 - some absolutely brilliant house tracks on this one. Nice to see them re-used in the PSP versions!

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
          Super Mario Galaxy has a gorgeous soundtrack. I can boot that game and just stand in the hub section listening to the amazing orchestral piece.
          Have to second this. The music in some parts is the best I've heard in my long gaming career.

Comment

Add me to the Mario Galaxy music-loving list. Gorgeous. In my Mario Galaxy review i thought it was so important to share just how amazing this game's music is. Beautifully composed.

I've always loved the music in the Zelda titles, Ocarina of Time had some amazing tunes and that title music will always make me smile.

Metal Gear Solid and Metroid Prime (Phendrana Drifts in particular) are brilliant too.

Though my all time favourite Shadow of the Colossus. Those Who Remain and To An Ancient Hero havent moved from the top of my playlist. Absolutely incredible.
            ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

I was listening to a load of game music the other night when I couldn't sleep. Love...

Bare Knuckle II (of course)
              Secret of Mana
              Rayforce/Layer Section
              Battle Garegga
              Radiant Silvergun
              Soukyugurentai
              KOF '96 (ROM)
              Dracula X (PCE)

Comment

Gotta be Super Mario 64 for me. The music in the castle and in the earlier levels brings back memories to the good old days of gaming.

Comment

Jet Set Radio
                  Jet Set Radio Future

And gotta love loads of the Final Fantasy games for their tunes!

(Big fan of many of the others people said too! )

Comment

Streets of Rage
                    Turrican 2 (Amiga)
                    Outrun (past and present)
                    Metal Gear Solid 2
                    Chun Li Remix SFA 2

More...

Prince of Persia - SOT
                    Legend Of Zelda - LTTP
                    Soul Edge (Khan Super Session - Li Long BGM)
                    Powerdrift
                    Afterburner (Final Take Off)

There is so much good music in games it really is amazing. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface here I'm sure!

Comment

Soul Calibur had some great tracks on the DC

Killer Instinct 2 (the pirate ship in particular)..N64

Warcraft 2..PC

R-type was pretty decent as well..Arcade

Comment

I really like the music in Soul Edge and Metroid Prime. I like the Romancing Sa-Ga 3 music and many songs from Final Fantasy and Castlevania series, the most scary game music I like most is Resident Evil 2 (I love that game so much). ^_^

Comment

Afterburner 2, the music it changes to as the 4th level fades in is still my favourite piece of in-game music.

Just about anything Konami did on the SNES, although Super Contra was the one that sticks in my mind. I don't remember the music, but I remember thinking it was amazing climbing the big wall on the last level(?).

The Secret Of Monkey Island. The CD soundtrack to this is my favourite game soundtrack.

Comment

Big ups to Super Castlevania IV as well, plus Area 88. Most Megaman games, especially 2 and 3 have good tracks as well. And as we're going all 8-bit, then I have to mention Last Ninja 2 and Monty on the Run for the C64 as well.
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

The music in DDR Disney mix PS1 is the nuts.
                              It's euro-techno remixes of classic Disney songs. Even the Japs can't match this for out-there wackiness.

Comment

Working...
                              X