No announcement yet.

Best Ever In-game Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTA: SA, whch I've just been playing, has some great tracks just like the previous GTAs. The use and range of music in those games is without peer.

I could name many other games where I've liked the background music but there are two particular games where the music actually gives me goosebumps : the older Tomb Raiders and Tenchu. I only have to hear TR's haunting and atmospheric harp/clarinet(?) themes and it just puts me in the mood and now also takes me back to some of my most enjoyable early gaming experiences.

Same with Tenchu, the exciting open theme and FMV and that gentle unobtrusive modernised but classical Japanesey background music have an almost Pavlovian effect readying me for some heavy duty stealth killing.

That's the whole point of game music for me - something that has been created or chosen not just to pad out the soundtrack but something vital that actually enhances the experience.

Comment

The Symphony of the Night soundtrack is perfectly gothic and grand. One of the best game soundtracks ever.

Others I really like are;

- Panzer Dragoon Saga
      - Radiant Silvergun
      - Ocarina of Time
      - Secret of Mana

And as much as I love the GTA licenced track approach (which is perfect for the series), I do prefer a proper original score.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
        Big ups to Super Castlevania IV as well, plus Area 88. Most Megaman games, especially 2 and 3 have good tracks as well. And as we're going all 8-bit, then I have to mention Last Ninja 2 and Monty on the Run for the C64 as well.
        Doh! I forgot about the Megaman games, Megaman 2 is my favorite (it has got one of my favorite game endings too). ^_^

Comment

Vib-ribbon! I whole heartedly detest japanese music , it is the work of the devil, but Laugh and Peace's work for this game is just outstanding. anyone know if the two sequels have music as good as the original (i believe Laugh and Peace did the music but it sounds completely different)? and that reminds me, surely it's about time for a DS vib-ribbon?

I cannot believe no one has mentioned Katamari Damacy. Highlights for me were 'lonely rolling star' and 'que sera sera'. wasted many a bizarre evening in Japan rolling up massive klumps of crap and listening to these crunchy tunes.

everybody must listen to the ochestrated version of the zelda soundtrack, 'hyrule symphony', absolutely astonishing. special mention has to go out to Animal Crossing for it's fantastically relaxing soundtrack and of course, any version of bloody tears.

Comment

Some of my favourites are EarthBound, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario Galaxy and Kirby Super Star

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
              And as we're going all 8-bit, then I have to mention Last Ninja 2 and Monty on the Run for the C64 as well.
              The best tune ever on the C64 was thing on a spring...What a tune.

Also crazy comets. Had a miles better version of the Gyrus arcade game song.

Mario Galaxy is good as well i agree
              Last edited by NemesiS; 30-04-2008, 10:35.

Comment

zomg i forgot to mention two things. destruct for the commodore had the most amazing title screen music, to the extent that my brother i downloaded a rom of it and he worked it out on the guitar. and another commodore piece, the loading screen music for commando. you remember, that grey screen would come up with a counter on it and some kickass beats would start up. used to have a mini disc of it which i recorded from the tv, but in realising mini discs were the worst invention ever, i seem to have lost it.

Comment

Got to agree with Super mario galaxy.

The music in Wipeout was also excellent.Wipeout 2097 being my favourite.

Comment

What about Jesper Kyd's Hitman soundtracks? I remember walking away from a kill in the snow (in Contracts) with the music rising... Awesome.

And, of course, the Halo theme - non-Mjolnir mix. The best theme tune to any game, IMO.

I also have a soft-spot for all that bleepy-blorky music from the pre-32-bit era. I'm forever being reminded of the Monkey Island music...

RE: Mario Galaxy. I have a soundtrack CD with a classical rendition of the Smash Bros Melee music - the Donkey Kong track is particularly good.

Comment

Another vote for Shadow of the Colossus here....and one for Portal's Still Alive, pure class....Then there's Silent Hill and Ico, particularly the ending song.

Comment

My Fav Soundtracks would be

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Pazner Dragoon

Souky

REZ

RSG

Out Run

Super R-Type

Super Castlevaina

Power Drift

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Virtual Fighter (Saturn)

Daytona USA

Sonic Adv

JSRF

Comsic Smash

HOTD and Part II

Gradius V

Batman Returns (Mega CD)

Ecco (Mega CD)

F1 BTL (Mega CD)

Wonderboy

WonderDog

Alien Trio

Phantasy Star Online

Get Bass (yes really)

Sonic CD

Lunar (mega CD)

Super Metroid (Snes)

Star Foz (snes)

F-Zero (Snes)

Comment

Xenon 2 amiga and atari st
                          streets of rage 2 and revenge of shinobi megadrive
                          lotus esprit ...ermm well i think i liked it lol (amiga)

Comment

Out of all the Virtua Fighter games, Virtua Fighter 2 has hands down the best in-game music.

Comment

Perfect Dark Zero - Mansion | Infiltration

Can't find links anywhere, but it's during the action sequences when breaking into the mansion. Unfortunately you can never listen to the whole song in-game (ie: the best bits) as the action never lasts long enough so you'll need to find the .mp3 from somewhere. Surely one of the best pieces of music ever written, let alone in a video game.

Others:

PD"

F-Zero GX

I love it when the on the third lap, more synth and guitars kick in progressing the tune further. Total classness.

This is gonna be a very long post for me and I'm late for work as it is... so I'll continue later.
                              Last edited by dataDave; 30-04-2008, 12:05.

Comment

Ohhhhh, it does me good to see one of these threads that doesn't mention Final Fantasy every other post (Nobuo Uematsu = wildly over-rated ).

Comment

Working...
                                X