Crosswords DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crosswords DS

The Nintendo published crosswords game...

Basically it's crosswords, then. You either know how to play them or you don't!

First off, there are four save files, which is good. Select one and you can choose between the three games you want to play, crosswords, wordsearches, or anagrams.

The controls in crosswords are great. Touch any square and it'll tell you the clues across and down for that square. Touch it again and it'll zoom in, allowing you to write the letter. Once you've input a letter it'll move onto the next box across or down, depending on which you've got selected. The handwriting recognition is good for the most part but I'm having trouble with a few. I started in upper case and it kept reading my 'I' as an 'L' as it needs the 'I' to be either dotted or lined at the top and bottom to recognise it. So I tried lower case which read my 'a' as a 'z.' I'll probably stick to upper case, it'll be easier to write 'I' properly than change the way I write 'a' entirely!

Aside from that all is well. The clues are good (though I've only done the first few easy puzzles and one on medium) and mostly clear, though some are a little vague, of course filling in the letters of other words mostly solves any isues. The first puzzles are really boring though, only 4x4 in size and there's a lot of them that size too! They take little over a minute to solve and then you're given a rank. The highest is A+ I think but in easy the highest you can get is A, as you can't turn the assist off. This is hugely annoying. If you write the wrong letter it turns red, and makes you feel like you've cheated, even if it's just the handwriting recognition going wrong! This can be turned off in medium and above though, and you get an extra + rank for doing so. There are four difficulties (the last two unlocked later), I expect to go nowhere near the fourth at all...

Should you get stuck, there's a hint system. Each puzzle gives you a certain number of points to spend on hints. You can use them to buy an additional clue (1pt), a letter (3pts), or a complete word (5pts). These carry a time penalty though and it seems to not award you any rank if you use one, that or maybe I was just too slow for that puzzle to warrant a rank!

Wordsearches play perfectly well, if a little boringly. They're wordsearches, after all. Just drag the stylus from one end of a word to t'other, easy peasy. Difficulty levels are present, but I didn't play them much so I'm not sure how big they get

Anagrams are randomly generated. You select whether you want short, medium, or long, and it gives you a series of letters and you make as many words as you can. The length refers to the length of words you can create. In 'short' you only have to make words of three and four letters, etc. A list is filled in in alphabetical order as you go along so you can work out towards the end what words you might be missing. It's more interesting than the worsearches but still not much more than a distraction from the crosswords.
    Last edited by toythatkills; 09-05-2008, 13:26.

I finally got around to playing this for a few hours yesterday & I've got mixed feelings about it. The wordsearches are fun, although not exactly difficult & I'd have liked some sort of ranking depending on how fast you completed them. The anagrams certainly had me scratching my head & I've had to give up on a few occasions, although I suppose I could've stuck with them & eventually guessed every one. It's a shame that if you do give up, it doesn't count as a completed game. I'd rather the game gave you a percentage of anagrams guessed correctly, so it at least gave you the impression you were doing something right.

Comment

Hey Glider, how would you rate this against picross ds? especially comparing the main system (you know how picross is annoying to move the larger puzzles around)?

Comment

Really rather disappointed with CrossworDS now that I've had the correct one for a week. Having to do 100 medium puzzles in order to unlock the harder ones is, to be honest, a piss-take. While there are smaller ones, I've averaged about 6 minutes on a medium 11x11 grid. 100 puzzles at 6 minutes is 10 hours in-game in order to unlock something a bit more challenging. That's taking the crossword-as-video-game angle a bit far. The main problem is that the challenge of the medium puzzles is minimal, many clues and answers are repeated and most of it can be done by an under-12. I can feel myself getting more and more stupid with each crappy clue, and I honestly don't think the possible reward is worth putting the time in. The special grid for completing each page is a decent idea, but having unlockable difficulties in a crossword game strikes me as about as rewarding as level grinding, repetition for hours on end for the small reward of an incremental bonus.

A lot of the clues aren't even clues, they're fill in the blank of the sentence ("He ---- the table for tea" - Answer: SETS) or ridiculous crap like ("KAY, LAY, MAY ---" - Answer: NAY) so extremely poor offerings with no option to do anything more challenging. Many of the answers aren't even English words, often being parts of words just to fit in with the other words in the puzzle. Example of seriously lazy crossword design.
        I also saw "Sounds made after a lucky escape - Answer: WHEWS" and such dross as "They hit their horns, rhymes with 'peepers' - Answer: BEEPERS".
        My particular bugbear is one that I've already seen three times in 30 or so puzzles: "Bingleburt Oglethwart Gooverswank's initials". Answer is of course BOG. There are other clues you could have for BOG, but apparently this clue, at the level of a 3 year old, is such a work of genius that it's worth repeating in different grids.

Having said that it's too easy, I found the Sun Crossword game nigh-on impossible as the clues were too obscure for me. The Guardian crossword is about my level, but there doesn't seem to be any DS game that has that sort of difficulty. The NYT game was slightly above my level but answers could be worked out with some thought, shame that a lot of the clues are America-centric.

The wordsearches work ok, except for having to scroll for the bigger ones, but I don't find that a huge issue. Control-wise, it all works fine, and a wordsearch is a wordsearch.

Anagrams again are ok, but they seem to have censored some words which may be deemed a bit rude, even though they're perfectly good English words.

Being left-handed, I play with the touch screen on the left. I'm sure most of the other DS Touch-Gen games remember who last played them, so why do I have to go through the rigmaroll of being told to turn the DS around every single time that I play?

In all, I'm severely disappointed by this after looking forward to it for some time. Not sure I can be bothered to stick with it to unlock what may or may not be harder clues or just the same clues on bigger grids. So just as I wait for a Wii golf game that gets the swing and putting mechanisms right, I continue my wait for a DS crossword game that isn't mindnumbingly simple or nigh-on impossible due to cultural differences. It's going on the selling list soon.

Comment

Case in point. The anagram game does not accept the word ALE.
          Is this '80s and '90s Nintendo all over again?

Comment

You've echoed almost every problem I've got with the game. I did quite like it at first but the more you play it you just realise that everything is broken in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
              Hey Glider, how would you rate this against picross ds? especially comparing the main system (you know how picross is annoying to move the larger puzzles around)?
              To be honest, Picross wins hands down over this game, although I never get on very well with having to scroll on larger puzzles whatever the game. I think vertigo really has summed the game up pefectly & I'm not sure if I'll stick with it. At the moment, WordJong is still my favourite word game on the DS.

Comment

Working...
              X