Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Credit Card Fraud or "Yay! All my money has been stolen".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, sounds like the latest fad this spring season is credit card fraud

Sorry to hear others are having the same nightmare as me - it's a horrible feeling knowing that some scummy git has got hold of your details, and even worse when you can't figure out how they've done it.

Simmy I wouldn't hold your hopes out on any investigation getting back to you. As far as I know they don't do that.

But, it seems that a lot of people are getting ripped off at the moment. I'm sure the companies fraud units all talk to one another and a common denominator will stick out like a sore thumb. If there is one of course.

Comment

I've been hit a few times. One card had a lot of online transactions on totalling around £500 and another card had a driving test of all things...bet it wasn't hard to track down the culprit! The most recent one which was last week was from a small picture shop I had bought a canvas from. I bought the picture on Good Friday and then when I got my bill I noticed there was a transaction for the same shop the day after, which would be pretty difficult as I was out of town all weekend. It was only for 20 quid so I guess they were hoping I wouldn't notice. Feckers!

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101 View Post
        Simmy I wouldn't hold your hopes out on any investigation getting back to you. As far as I know they don't do that.
        Yeah that's kind of what I thought tbh, I said to the girl at Barclays do you actually investigate or just pay me off and set it against fee's to which she had little comment lol.

But, it seems that a lot of people are getting ripped off at the moment.
        Allot on here I would say, but not say anymore

Comment

Well mine had some plane tickets ordered so you'd think they could at least arrest them at the airport.

Alas I don't think that's the case. My GF works in investigations in the financial sector and she says most firms don't bother investigating even blatant fraud unless the cost of the fraud amounts to more than the cost of an investigation. It's a short-sighted way to operate IMHO because it means the same small-time culprits will get away with scamming other people time and again before they get caught, if indeed they do.

Comment

Someone got hold of my card information but they sent all the stuff to my house.

Had to send it all back to get my money back though which was a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by demon9k View Post
              Someone got hold of my card information but they sent all the stuff to my house.

Had to send it all back to get my money back though which was a shame.

. No matter how sophisticated a method of crime it is, if the con is still thick as ****......

Comment

Just received a call from HSBC's fraud team so it looks like I'm the latest member of these goings on's

Seems somebody's managed to get hold of my Maestro details and has withdrawn around ?300 from an ATM in Italy! Anybody have any ideas if HSBC can return the money to me at all or is it truly gone?

Comment

You should be ok, obviously you wern't in italy so they should sort it out.

Comment

Originally posted by nietzschedancing View Post
                    . No matter how sophisticated a method of crime it is, if the con is still thick as ****......
                    Not really, they could have gotten other stuff sent to the scammers address, the first order being to clarify the cardholder's address.

Comment

I'm still sorting out my frauds almost 2 months on. I can't remember whether I said in this thread but both my Mastercard and Visa were done at the same time. I only found out about the Visa ones later and several transactions weren't blocked.

Unless they got the info they needed from a 3rd party it had to be an online fraud. I'm guessing either one of the two places I had both cards listed was hacked or a key logger of some sort. I've now made sure I've changed passwords etc and am only using one card exclusively for online purchases.

What I still want to know is why and how stuff gets delivered to an address other than the legitimate cardholder.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                        What I still want to know is why and how stuff gets delivered to an address other than the legitimate cardholder.
                        I'd like to know that too seeing as preorders I'd made a few months ago were getting declined because I'd moved and changed to a new address

Comment

Exactly - most legitimate sites won't deliver goods to anywhere else other than the cardholders address. Some will only deliver to nominated addresses after an initial successful order to the cardholders address.

I'm sure a lot of this card fraud is down to sloppy security and practices by the retailers..

Comment

My girlfriend had here card details nabbed, apart from the £700 of electronic goods they tried to purchase they made a donation to oxfam new zealand.
                            Criminal with a heart

Comment

Cheeky gits I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                                My girlfriend had here card details nabbed, apart from the ?700 of electronic goods they tried to purchase they made a donation to oxfam new zealand.
                                Criminal with a heart
                                LOL, Robin Hood stole your missus credit card details.

Comment

Working...
                                X