No announcement yet.

Civilization Revolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judge each case on it's merits, if it's anything like civ on pc you'll not want cities too far away from the capital. However resources can be very important, particularly things like iron and uranium.

They can give you loads of leverage with other civs

Comment

The further from your capital the less productive your city naturally is. You can increase this by having a strong culture. Roads change everything in Revolutions, and so from a defensive standpoint you can have your cities fairly far apart and still defendable.

Comment

Thanks guys. Sorry for my ignorance with the series, i'm just getting used to everything at the moment. Thoroughly enjoying it though.

Comment

Might pick this up when I've tried the demo. I still worry about the depth but the positive reactions on here certainly calm some of those fears

Comment

Originally posted by FreelancePolice View Post
            I still worry about the depth
            Me too, although possibly the other way around. I'm lost just reading this thread about it!

How intuitive is it to get into, if you're a TOTAL newcomer to RTS? I'll download it later anyway, but would be nice to know what I can expect. I'm not really sure I'm into micro-management.

EDIT: To put that comment into context, managing the resource in Pixeljunk Monsters scares me.
            Last edited by Number45; 06-06-2008, 15:14.

Comment

First of all it's more of a turn based game rather than a RTS (though I havent tried online yet). A tutorial guides you through the basics and all the micro managment is on auto pilot. You've got to decide what your cities build and make choices if you should build that road or spend it on rushing your armies production but all the small stuff like resource farming is handled for you if you want it to be.

Comment

Where's the cheapest to order this? shopto is £29.99

Comment

Originally posted by Concrete donkey View Post
                  but all the small stuff like resource farming is handled for you if you want it to be.
                  Do you mean it's possible to do it manually? So I can have more control over certain things?

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
                    Do you mean it's possible to do it manually? So I can have more control over certain things?
                    From what I saw yeah. With the resource collection for example it offers a few suggestions plus one called custom, so I assumed it meant I could arrange it myself. Computer did a good enough job for my needs though so didnt bother with it.

Comment

I'll have to check that feature out next time, sounds valuable in a tough situation.

Few more questions (sorry):

When I played it just now I had no idea how to expand my territory, I know you can build new cities, but I saw my colour over the squares increase at one point, only for it to drop due to my cities culture or something like that?

As an addendum; how is it possible to take over a heavily defended city? They just destroy my trio of an army, and you can't seem to create more powerfull army's, as three is the maximum. Aswell as my catapult being nocked to bits within a second of fighting.

Comment

I've never played one of these games and I'm really enjoying it. I'll be picking this up

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                          I've never played one of these games and I'm really enjoying it. I'll be picking this up
                          Join the club! (consisting of me only)

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
                            I'll have to check that feature out next time, sounds valuable in a tough situation.

Few more questions (sorry):

When I played it just now I had no idea how to expand my territory, I know you can build new cities, but I saw my colour over the squares increase at one point, only for it to drop due to my cities culture or something like that?

As an addendum; how is it possible to take over a heavily defended city? They just destroy my trio of an army, and you can't seem to create more powerfull army's, as three is the maximum. Aswell as my catapult being nocked to bits within a second of fighting.
                            My time ran out when I was trying to take one of them. I was using several sets of armies, withdrawing before they were all wiped out, then bringing in another to continue the work of chipping away at the cities defenses. It's good to have your units experienced before hand. In other games, catapults are brilliant at weakening armies but I'm not sure of their effect in this one.

Culture and city distance seem to be the key on expanding territory. Building things like libraries and temples give you culture (I think) and building courthouses will help too. I would suggest using your central cities to produce your armies while your outskirting ones work on buildings for expansion.

Comment

Thanks once again Donkey! I'm slowly getting the concept of Civ'.

In Age of Empires catapults work really well against structures and can fire from long distances, yet in Civ' those tactical advantages seem redundant.

Comment

I'm guessing that the Catapults are the Roman equivelant of tanks, they just are generally powerful. I whupped a little army with one

Comment

Working...
                                X