This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PaTaito View Post
    Randomly watched The Kids Are Alright last night on sky.

The film is about a lesbian couple who each have a child by the same sperm donor, and years later one of the kids becomes curious as to who the father actually is. Sounds simple but stuff gets rather complicated.

Annette bening and julianne moore are just thoroughly outstanding as the main couple, i love each one as actors anyhow, but these kind of performances cement this opinion further. It doesnt stop there though, mark ruffalo is great as the laid back almost hippy like donor, and also the young girl who plays one of the kids is fantastic too.

This film took me by surprise a bit, when it first came on i was expecting a forgettable indie romp, that i could waste a couple of hours on, but by the end of the movie i was totally absorbed.

Original, full of superb performances making it wholly believable, funny, and rather touching.
    8.5/10
    I agree, a surprisingly good film with top notch performances from all of the cast. Mark Rufallo is a really underrated actor. I can't recall a bad performance from him.

Comment

Red State, a Kevin Smith film I'd never heard of, heavily influenced by the Waco siege and the subsequent 'actions' of the US government's anti-terrorist laws. Started off decent, dipped into a cumulatively unthrilling shootout/siege bit, nearly lost me but got me back in the last 10/15 mins. Always great to have John Goodman in a movie, thought there is one scene where you can see the vast extent of his pendulous moobage, drooping and sagg?d beneath his sweatshirt, and it's nasty. Somehow fooled myself into believing the main preacher dude was being played by Bryan Cranston (especially given that Walter's wife and Jesse's pal are both in this movie, confusingly) but it's actually a completely different bloke(!) Anyway, he's great and lots of fun in the role, despite not being Cranston.

Comment

Total Recall Remake... now going to watch the original to remind me why remakes shouldn't happen!

Comment

Touch of Evil - reconstructed ver. Never seen any version of this film before but it's been on my 'to watch' list for a while, and glad I finally got round to seeing it. It (famously) starts with one of the most brilliant opening sequences I've seen ... before unfolding into something much more satisfying than a standard detective story. Welles is fantastic as the grizzled, overweight (great use of prosthetics), burnt-out cop ... but it's his skill behind the camera that makes the film something really special.

It's a great Blu-ray recommendation too. Beyond the lovely b&w visuals you get 4 versions of the film with different aspect ratio options, a ton of commentary tracks, a substantial booklet full of essays, and a rather fetching steelbook (down to just ?15 instore in HMV).

Comment

I've been lucky. I don't really get to see 2 films that i really enjoyed.
            The first one is Paranorman. Great jokes and some amazing visuals. All the nods to the 80s classics was impressive, nothing felt shoehorned in.
            The other Bernie. Caught it on US Netflix, i read some reviews months ago about this and all of them being positive. Jack Black is amazing in this. In fact Matthew McConaughey is suprisingly good. Interesting story and characters based on a real story. The opening song is classic.

Comment

Time to close this thread.

Comment

Working...
              X