Soul Calibur (Xbox Live Arcade)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soul Calibur (Xbox Live Arcade)

Just downloaded this and had a quick bash. It's been a while since I played my Dreamcast version but everything seems a bit darker to me (I'm playing on a SD CRT so not sure what it looks like in HD).

All the characters and art cards etc seem to be unlocked from the start.

Managed to unlock 2 of the achievements on my first go:

Zen Warrior (10G) - get a perfect victory
    Warrior (10G) - complete Arcade mode with a single character

The other achievements are:

Art Connoisseur (5G) - view all the areas in museum mode
    Apprentice (5G) - play with 3 different characters in any mode
    Noble Soul (25G) - beat the game in ultra hard without losing a round
    Champion (25G) - beat Time Attack in under 4 minutes
    Ring Out (15G) - complete Time Attack with all ring outs
    Conqueror (25G) - beat 25 opponents in Extra Survival mode
    Close Call (15G) - defeat an opponent under adverse conditions (whatever that means)
    Guardian (15G) - perform 25 consecutive bursts with Freestyle set to Guard Impact in Practice mode
    Summon Suffering (20G) - perform the move Summon Suffering with Ivy
    Edge Master (30G) - complete Arcade mode with all characters

Liking it so far but early days.....
    Last edited by BearBoy; 02-07-2008, 11:54. Reason: I'm illiterate :(

It looks fab but has that annoying border like ever other arcade, I don't get that, offer us 2 modes please, no messing with size tyvm.

I have to wonder if theyre going to add options for extra money like they did with Tekken 5 on PS3 though....

Comment

Originally posted by angelx View Post
      It looks fab but has that annoying border like ever other arcade, I don't get that, offer us 2 modes please, no messing with size tyvm.
      Do you mean the borders down each side? I'm playing it in "regular" screen mode (i.e. original 4:3) but there is an option for "full". Haven't tried it yet but assumed that would fit a 16:9 TV.

Comment

Yeppers, that is what I meant but I was getting at the size adjusting on many other live titles where you personally modify the area when there should be just a couple of options instead of teh fiddleing about trying to make it fit ( and it never does on either of my oldee tvs)

Comment

If I'm correct the Dreamcast Soul Calibur had a 16:9 mode so it should be widescreen on the 360 as well...

Comment

I am not 100% but I think it has been said this is a port of the arcade Wools

Comment

No, this is a port of the DC game which had no 16:9 mode.

Comment

Summon Suffering was an eeeeasy move to pull off when you knew how to do it.

Comment

Still a great idea for an achievement though =D

I imagine I'd need to source an arcade stick for those gamerpoints though. I fear I may do myself an injury trying it on the 360 d-pad.

Comment

That's exactly what i'm thinking too.

I'm not quite sure I could do summon suffering on a 360 pad.

I used to abuse that move so badly Ivy's move where she shoots the sword forward at a distance, it seperates into the whip, stabs them and draws them closer. The moment the sword stabs through them you can start doing the summon suffering command then, and as soon as the animation's over finish off with down-back+x+y and she'd immediately link it into the move.

Beautiful when it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by BearBoy View Post
                      Do you mean the borders down each side? I'm playing it in "regular" screen mode (i.e. original 4:3) but there is an option for "full". Haven't tried it yet but assumed that would fit a 16:9 TV.
                      I've switched to 'full' mode and it doesn't seem to make a difference. ie - there are still borders. Strange.

This game still amazes me. To me, it still looks and plays more fluidly than something like VF5. The characters' movement is breathtaking.
                      Last edited by Jay; 02-07-2008, 14:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                        I've switched to 'full' mode and it doesn't seem to make a difference. ie - there are still borders. Strange.
                        I've just tried it and the borders do seem smaller but it's not proper 16:9 widescreen. Not sure why they bothered tbh.

Just got my Summon Suffering achievement

I don't normally bother much with achievements but I think I might need to 100% this one.

Comment

Has it been touched up in any way?

Comment

Im not going to buy this myself. I still have it in my Dreamcast, playing it over vga.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              Has it been touched up in any way?
                              It's been about six months since I played it on the Dreamcast so I cannot be 100% sure but it does not look particularly touched up to me. The only difference I did notice is that it looks a bit darker than I remember. Could just be due to the differing RGB outputs from the Dreamcast and the Xbox 360? Equally could be my dodgy memory.

Either way I still think it looks fantastic despite its age. I'm only playing in SD though so cannot comment on what it looks like in HD.

Comment

Working...
                              X