Sengoku Basara X (PS2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sengoku Basara X (PS2)

Thought there might have been a first play for this already. This is Arc System Works 2D fighter based on Capcom's Sengoku Basara (a more OTT Dynasty Warriors) series. Having only briefly played the first SB game, I'm fairly unfamiliar with the characters but there is a nice mix here.

First off, despite playing on an HDTV, the game looks gorgeous. Nicely animated characters and some nice background detail.

It's hard to say what this plays like, maybe a mix between Guilty Gear and Hokuto no Ken. Haven't got to grips with the meat of the fighting system yet but you can call in back up with the X button and this is determined by your level which rises during fights.
    It feels very solid and there is a variety character roster.

You have the usual modes like arcade, survival, time attack. There are 12 charcters initially and don't think any more are unlockable although I'm not 100% sure about that.

I'm really enjoying this so far, not gonna set the world alight but if you're into 2D fighters then this is well worth importing.

I don't know if its my game but the audio quality is atrocious in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero9X View Post
      I don't know if its my game but the audio quality is atrocious in it.
      It's not just you, it sounds like the game is in mono. The music, especially the loading screen before a battle, is really quiet. Shame really as the BGM is excellent.

Comment

Saw this was tempted....would like to know a little bit more combat details though..

Comment

I noticed the audio being poor quality too.

I really like it, a mix of Hokuto No Ken and Guilty Gear is a perfect description, it's easy to jump straight into if you Arc Systems fighters. It's fairly easy even for a casual player to get some decent-ish combos, especially with the 'strikers', back-up help.

Comment

Sorry to double post.

What's the difference between the two options once you've selected your character? I was wondering if it was some sort of slash/bust option like Samurai Spirits, but with it being all in Japanese, I can't tell the difference between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by MiaBocca View Post
              Sorry to double post.

What's the difference between the two options once you've selected your character? I was wondering if it was some sort of slash/bust option like Samurai Spirits, but with it being all in Japanese, I can't tell the difference between the two.
              I think it's normal mode and 'simple command mode', simple command mode you can map the special moves to buttons.

Comment

Ahhh, is that all, thanks

Comment

Got this today i think its pretty cool wonder why the music is such low rate quality though did anyone play the arcade game was it the same ?
                  Last edited by eastyy; 17-07-2008, 13:33.

Comment

Working...
                  X