Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Films that support DTS.

Hey folks.

I got Blade 2 the other day which supports DTS, and it sounds amazing!

What other films support it?

I heard Fast and the Furious does. Anything else?

Cheers.

I'm curious, is DTS really that much of an improvement over 5.1?

Comment

The mileage varies. The theoretical max quality of a DTS track is higher than a DD5.1 stream, but in practice you'll find this isn't always the case. It all boils down to the way it's mixed.

If you want to hear DTS at it's best, get sommat like "T2:Ultimate edition". Blows most other film soundtracks away. I've heard "Private Ryan" is another benchmark, but I only have the DD5.1 edition so I couldn't say.

Comment

There are a ton of DTS releases now; your best bet is just to go to Play or DVD Boxoffice and search for DTS titles. Any decent online retailer allows a search for DTS.

If I was pushed into recommending some titles purely on the basis of their sound mixes, and wasn't allowed to get all fancy with obcure laserdisc rarities, I'd say that you really should hear the following:

Fellowship of the Ring: Expanded
        The Bourne Identity
        The Haunting (yes, its a terrible film, but the DTS release was the first ever ES DVD, and its just amazingly mixed)
        Titan A.E.

Obviously, if you're picky enough to want DTS rather than DD, ignore any UK releases of the above and go straight to the NTSC versions. Time-shortening makes at least as much difference as DTS does.

Comment

I was talking to the guy in Hughes, and he said without getting technical. He said, if 5.1 was 2 million bytes per second, DTS was 2 and half.

Very simple. But I understood it, which was the main thing.

Saving Private Ryan, I love that film. I'll try and check out the DTS version. I bet that sounds sweet.

Cheers guys.

Comment

Couple of other DTS dvds i recommend are pulp fiction and jackie brown great films with great soundtracks. Theres hardly any rear effects but they do sound fantastic and play are doing them at under a tenner each, can`t go wrong. Also the R1 version of twister SE sounds good and is encoded at 1536kbps. It is also a good example that the higher bitrate doesn`t always equal a better sound as the DD track isn`t to far behind. Also the same for lord of the rings extended edition, i didn`t think there was anything between the dts and dd tracks. If you want Lots of rear effects pumping soundtrack then Fast and the furious is for you as the DTS track will just blow you away. As for your question edame i do in general find DTS nicer to listen to as it is slightly louder and always manages to create a far wider soundstage than DD can manage.

Comment

Saving Private Ryan in DTS is awesome. It sounds much better than the cinema even, since the sound is totally around you. The opening sequence bullet hits ping right past your ears. It is my first demo disc that I put on for guests.

Also, the main bombing sequence in Pearl Habor (whatever you may think of the film) is awesome too.

I definitely agree with Hodge; you can really tell the difference between DD and DTS. I always get DTS editions over DD DVDs if I can.

CJ

Comment

Its really not that simple though. The DD and DTS mixes of SPR are actually different mixes, not just different encodes of the same mix, so its not just down to DTS that it sounds better. In this example, the 448kbps DD mix may sound worse than the 768kbps DTS one does, but neither are quite as good (to my ears) as the 384kbps DD laserdisc mix, which is pretty much the raw DD mix from the cinema, un-toned-down for home speakers.

On a disc like Twister, where the DD and DTS are different encodes of the same mix, the change is far more subtle.

Comment

great DTS discs to get are:

lord of the rings: FOTR. directors cut.
                  the fast and the furious (superbit)
                  t2 ultimate edition
                  from hell
                  xmen 1.5
                  blade (jap) hard to get but bloody amazing.
                  jaws (R1)
                  titan AE
                  godzilla (superbit)
                  the haunting (r1)
                  the fifth element (superbit)

there are tons more discs avaliable now with both dd & dts soundmixes on the same disc. this is getting more common. as now a vast amont of movies are released as 2 disc special editions with the extra's on a seperate disc, leaving the main disc with enough room for the two formats.

Comment

Originally posted by beecee
                    jaws (R1)
                    Arrgh! NO!

For the love of God, stay away from this. Sure, on an objective level it sounds better than the DD 5.1 mix that on the other DVD available, but thats beside the point. Jaws is in Mono. It won a fecking Oscar for its stunning mono sound mix, which is damn near perfection itself. Remixing it into 5.1 is like adding colour to King Kong; an offence under the Geneva Convention.

Sorry, I just really hated this, and won't let it lie.

I wasn't aware that there was a DVD available with the laserdisc's DTS mix of Blade - this might need a hunt, as its far better than the New Line DVD mix.

Comment

Originally posted by mid
                      on an objective level it sounds better than the DD 5.1 mix that on the other DVD available.
                      thats what i was pointing out. the DTS tracks that are better than the DD counterparts.

on another point mono tracks are fine to a certain degree, but in action movies a more aggressive soundtrack is needed, IMO

Originally posted by mid
                      I wasn't aware that there was a DVD available with the laserdisc's DTS mix of Blade - this might need a hunt, as its far better than the New Line DVD mix.
                      you can pick it up here:

Comment

Blade really is fun, isn't it?

I'm amazed that no-one has mentioned Gladiator yet! That was one of the first DTS tracks that I and a friend first heard and over a year later, we're still stunned by its impact and 'accuracy'. 8) You will be looking over your shoulder!

The extended edition of The Fellowship of the Ring must be one of the best examples of Dolby Digital in existence, and may even be a little more balanced in places than the DTS track. Overall though, they are very close in terms of placement, soundfield and BOOM!

I have no experience of it and found the R2 DD release a little underwhelming, but I remember reading (a few years ago) that the R1 DTS edition of Apollo 13 is a good 'un.

Oh, I can 'second' Terminator 2 too . Did someone say gates?

Comment

Originally posted by Edame
                          I'm curious, is DTS really that much of an improvement over 5.1?
                          When done properly, yes. When handled be inept ****s, not so much.

Comment

The 2 disc R3 of Jet Li's Hero carries a great DTS soundtrack.
                            It's a groovy film too. 8)

Comment

My copy of metropolis sounds great in DTS.

Comment

Working...
                              X