Elefunk - PS3 PSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elefunk - PS3 PSN

Only tried this for fifteen minutes early this morning, but some quick impressions (you can get a demo on the USA Store, not other regions for some reason).

Firstly it looks lovely and presentation is simple but effective. Gameplay is not a million miles from the classic game Lemmings. In Elefunk you start at point A, using the eight or so types of construction blocks (wood and rope in later levels) make a safe path to your herd at point B. You only have a certain number of each type of item per level so it's not quite as easy as it sounds. Blocks can be rotated and removed if you spot a flaw.

Your Elephant doesn't move until you are happy with your construction, you press start and off he goes .. quite often to his death to start with, but it's normally easy to see where you've gone wrong so it's not as fustrating as some puzzle games out there.

Learning curve seems spot on so far, the first level is just a case of building a bridge, but some of the latter ones look very in depth. Sure the game has about 25 levels, but there are also online and time attack modes which should keep the interest there for longer.

Trailer video for those who've not seen it in action

Game is $4.99 in America and £4.99 here, takes the pee that does.
    Last edited by VR46; 18-07-2008, 09:06.

i really am tempted by this but gettin pee'd off by lack of demo's on PSN and getting my wallet burnt when I've taken the leap blind.

Comment

Read the first paragraph again
      Last edited by VR46; 18-07-2008, 09:27. Reason: can't type

Comment

i saw it, can't be fagged with setting up a us account.

demo's on these type of games should be a given

Comment

I agree on the demo front, XBLA has spoilt us. It takes ten minutes tops to set up a USA account, needs to be done as our PSN Store is so lacking it's not even funny.

Better get back on topic

Comment

gameplay looks a bit like World Of Goo with additional heffalumps.

Comment

It's a great little game. I highly recommend it. The physics are funny at times as are the efelumps when they're ****ting one

The multiplayer is fun for only a short while though as it is basically Jenga.

Comment

not sure aboutthis, the tutorial seems bit non-existent just throwing you in

Comment

It is a lot of trial and error yes. Learn as you play basically.

Comment

learn very quickly or fail, 2 or 3 levels in you suddenly have 40 pieces to place with no real hints as to suitable structures.

feels like a nice idea in here somewhere but the normal puzzle learning curve is non existent

Comment

I thought it was fine. Maybe you don't have the patience of the young whipper-snapper you once was?

Comment

no patience at all. I've gone casual.

I'll update this, played a bit more and its started to click, basically its like playing with Geomag.

I've taken a trial an error approach and test the bits of each puzzle setting the elephant off early rather than try to complete the whole thing in one go, an iterative approach seems to help.

I like the concept of how you have to brace a structure, not sure the physics are bang on but a fun game.

I like the first bonus level where you have to fire the elephant at a target.
                        Last edited by merf; 19-07-2008, 07:58.

Comment

I wasn't impressed at first when I saw trailers of this but when I tried it out, I went and bought it.

The Multiplayer is really fun. It has some Jenga style to it and its really good but there is only like seven multiplayer levels. I think this game could improve if it allowed user generated content for Multiplayer, that would extend the replay value and make it more fun.

I am stuck on the 4th level but I am enjoying it, I really like Puzzle Games.

Comment

It took a couple of levels to get the hang of what each piece's strengths, weaknesses and weight was and how that worked in the game but once you work it out the physical properties of each piece you realise it's just common sense why some work in some areas but not in others.

Comment

I really like the jungle world where you have to start using rope. You make some dodgy looking bridges there

Comment

Working...
                              X