1942 Joint Strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1942 Joint Strike

Couldnt find a thread for this so sorry if there is one.

First thing i noticed is that the menus are alot like the ones for Commando 3 and there are again 4 difficulty levels.

There are 3 different planes to choose from and they are your standard types, One that is Powerful, one that is Quick, and one thats balanced. The Default Level is pretty easy, you have an energy bar (again much like commando 3) and 5 lives so you can get hit alot, theres also an abundance of pick ups that give you even more energy still. I got to level 5 on my first try and to be honest i was a bit disapointed, you seem to be fighting the same enemies that have the same attack patterns the entire way through the game besides a few exceptions and the bosses arent particuarly great either IMO.

It also looks pretty cheap and tacky, i was hoping for somthing that looked a bit more spectacular and like the later games in the series, but it looks more like a remake of the original game that could have easily appeared on the PS1 10 years ago.

I also dont like the fact that its a vertical scroller that uses the full length of the widescreen tv, it looks a bit weird if you ask me.

The achievments are pretty standard stuff, there are three for completeing the game with each of the planes, and there is one for doing it on the highest difficulty, the others are mainly for collecting things and scoring certain amounts ect.

Overall I'm a bit disapointed, especialy having read the games TM review over just before I purchased it and they said it was one of the best in the series. I felt like I was playing a completely different game to them.
    Last edited by rmoxon; 23-07-2008, 13:26.

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
    Couldnt find a thread for this so sorry if there is one.
    So you created two?

Just kidding, trashed the other one.

Just to confirm, is there an autofire option or do you really have to tap X all the time? Also curious if anyone tries this with a stick on the PS3 (If there's a demo I'll play guinea pig).

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
      So you created two?

Just kidding, trashed the other one.

Just to confirm, is there an autofire option or do you really have to tap X all the time? Also curious if anyone tries this with a stick on the PS3 (If there's a demo I'll play guinea pig).
      I have the 360 version, Its A to Fire, and yeah you have to tap it repeatedly because if you hold it down it does a charge shot.

X or B fires Misiles, and Y does your Joint strike/bomb.

Comment

How much levels and difficulties are there? I have been looking forward to this for a while, so it's an instant purchase for me, but I'm dissapointed that it's not living up to your expectations. Any multiplayer options on this?

Comment

That's really annoying. R-Types gets around the problem by setting a different button for autofiring your main gun and missiles - if things get really hectic (which they should of course) then I can imagine some major aches.

Comment

Lol, this autofire issue is making me laugh. It's really not that much of a big deal.

One tap of the fire button fires 2 shots, so you don't have to do track and field style button mashing throughout the entire level. Just keep casually tapping that A button. If you've played Gigawing, it's just the same as that.

Comment

I don't mind thrapping the button either. In fact I think I usually play this way on all shooters without even thinking about it!

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
                How much levels and difficulties are there? I have been looking forward to this for a while, so it's an instant purchase for me, but I'm dissapointed that it's not living up to your expectations. Any multiplayer options on this?
                I'm not sure how Many levels, but as I said there are 4 difficulty levels.

There is co op multiplayer, both over live and localy.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                  I'm not sure how Many levels, but as I said there are 4 difficulty levels.

There is co op multiplayer, both over live and localy.
                  Cool. Sorry completely missed the difficulty that you mentioned in first post! I presume there is online scoreboards as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Silvergun X View Post
                    Lol, this autofire issue is making me laugh. It's really not that much of a big deal.

One tap of the fire button fires 2 shots, so you don't have to do track and field style button mashing throughout the entire level. Just keep casually tapping that A button. If you've played Gigawing, it's just the same as that.
                    I'm sure it's possible, but I don't see why providing autofire isn't there as an option. It's not as if it breaks the game, but it does make playing the game more comfortable, which can only be a good thing.

Hopefully there's a PSN demo so I can try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvergun X View Post

I liked GigaWing. I will be getting this later. The autofire isn't a problem. I'll just use my arcade stick on the PSN version!

Comment

Is anybody else finding the slowdown in this really bad (esp. Mission 3)?

I could understand it if the game was technically demanding

Comment

Originally posted by tom-nook View Post
                          Is anybody else finding the slowdown in this really bad (esp. Mission 3)?

I could understand it if the game was technically demanding
                          Arg.
                          Maybe they're 'functional'...
                          Ehm, no? ^^

Anyway, I had a try with the demo (XBLA) last night, and I didn't fall in love at all, actually.

I'm enjoying Commando 3, so I was excited for 1942 but the game seemed to me quite bland: to buy or not to buy?
                          Last edited by jpeg; 24-07-2008, 14:58.

Comment

buy it!

always loved 1942 since i played it in the arcade as a kid. loving the remix of the original tune too. it doesnt really add much to the series, but i say its a worthy purchase. had lag free games on live last night too.

Comment

I was disappointed with this. Here's what I posted elsewhere:

Originally posted by Paulos G View Post
                              Heh. I shovelled loads of money into the original 1942 (although it was 10 cent coins (NZ currency) in my case).

Had a chance to play through the trial now. You get one level and three different planes. I have to say that I found it a bit, well, plain (boom boom - DYSWIDT?). I really wanted to like this a lot but nostalgia just ain't what it used to be.

I found it a bit sluggish and a bit dull. Maybe that's coz I've spent too much time playing Raiden Fighters Aces.

Comment

Working...
                              X