Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geoff!!! Before you update the shop, make damn sure you have set it to the shop region you most use first because as soon as you access the shop it will now lock it for that Wii permanently.

I failed and now have a PAL only shop which is useless for me.

Comment

Is it easy to downgrade from 3.4e if you have the Homebrew Channel installed?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        Geoff!!! Before you update the shop, make damn sure you have set it to the shop region you most use first because as soon as you access the shop it will now lock it for that Wii permanently.

I failed and now have a PAL only shop which is useless for me.
        If your shop is in the wrong region & you didn't change it back before nintendo released the shop update your stuffed as even if you go online as soon as you connect to the shop, nintendo will lock it to which ever region shop you visited last and make that your permanent region of shop. It makes no difference if you go with the patched shop installer your region will still be locked.

I lost over ?60 of vc & wiiware stuff because of this, as when they locked my wii shop to usa it broke the online portion of my wiiware games, as everything i had was japanese. Theres only one way out of it & that means you have to log into whichever shop your stuck in & delete the shop account but you will lose everything you have downloaded, but it will reset your shop back to your correct region.

Yeah great system nintendo

Comment

Gah really? Didn't realise that. So basically you are screwed if you were in the wrong region before they made the change. They could at least have asked "Which shop do you want to access? This will be permanent".

Comment

Yup the guy that created the any region changer program discovered that nintendo had locked down the system when they released the update.

Comment

Something I noticed, not sure if other people have this problem, when I use the Starfall Gamecube region free patch, it does let me play Japanese games from the disc channel (haven't tried PAL), it doesn't let me load US games (they appear with no video - have to boot them with GCBooter or Gecko and even then some error at the title screen). Had to remove that patch and stick to loading Japanese GC games through Gecko.

Comment

Originally posted by honeymustard View Post
                Something I noticed, not sure if other people have this problem, when I use the Starfall Gamecube region free patch, it does let me play Japanese games from the disc channel (haven't tried PAL), it doesn't let me load US games (they appear with no video - have to boot them with GCBooter or Gecko and even then some error at the title screen). Had to remove that patch and stick to loading Japanese GC games through Gecko.
                Is your machine a japanese Wii? IIRC some game actually require you to force the booting language, maybe it is the same with GCN games. Starfall's and Preloader's region free option seems to be faulty since it doesn't give you the option to select the booting language, unless you edited the hack.ini and enable the language you want everytime you start up the machine, if it is even possible. Gecko OS is probably the better solution, to gain region free option, anyway.

Comment

Twinlight hack doesn't work as my Wii is already version 3.4u and this means it is locked out.

Any other suggestion as I want to have option to play other region games in future.

Comment

Version 0.1beta2 (and only that version) of the Twilight Hack works fine for 3.4. In fact, it was designed for 3.4.

Comment

I already tried that and it can't find boot.bin file (If that is correct)

Comment

The Twilight Hack basically attempts to execute a file called 'boot.dol' on the root of the SD Card. In this case, the boot.dol is the installer for Homebrew Channel, with isn't distributed with the Twilight Hack, it's a separate thing altogether. Sounds like you're running the Twilight Hack, but not giving the hack anything to actually run

Comment

So where do I get boot.dol then

Comment

Speaking of the Wii hacks, I've been watching DVDs on my Wii this weekend using the MPlayer for the Homebrew Channel, and going back to playing the games, it's made the disc drive wheeze and groan, and it's taken several attempts (ejects and reinsertions) to be able to read Wii game discs. Be careful, guys.

Comment

Hmmmm I've managed to get Homebrew up on my Wii (NTSC running 3.4) but seem to be struggling to get DownG (IOS downgrader V1.1) to work (it runs and resets the Wii but then it's still set at 3.4) and when I try to run Gecko Region free (the main thing I'm wanting to be able to run for Pal Wii n Cube games) I get the message "this is not valid Wii application" .

With my rather poor knowledge (read ability!!) of these things I'd imagine I'm making a silly error somewhere, can anyone please tell me where I'm going wrong as I neeeeeeeeeed HOTD Overkill !?!

Comment

Try anyregionchanger to downgrade instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X