This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chaps, sorry just noticed this thread.

I have a PAL Wii - if I want to play my US GC games on it what to I need to do/look at?

Comment

As per messenger, twilight hack > homebrew channel > gcbooter

Not sure if your mem cards will work. Thinking about it, if it was a US GC then they might need formatting to work with the pal GC. Like the old freeloader problems.

Comment

You can use one memory card for both PAL and US saves, but you need a separate one for Japanese saves.

I tried using the GCbooter on my US Wii to boot PAL GC games but for some reason it just gave me a fuzzy screen then went black, if I remember correctly. Not sure what happened there.

Comment

Gecko OS has had the ability to boot GC games for a while. I've not tried it though but it has correctly booted every Wii game I've tried including Wii Fit. V1.07b is now available to work with HBC b9.

Comment

Didn't realise that Gecko did GC stuff too. Ta.

Comment

It's a recent thing, I use it to boot JPN GC stuff on my US Wii.

It's worth mentioning that Gecko can force 60Hz too, which might be handy on some PAL games.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                It's a recent thing, I use it to boot JPN GC stuff on my US Wii.

It's worth mentioning that Gecko can force 60Hz too, which might be handy on some PAL games.
                Can Gecko force progressive scan on PAL Gamecube games?

Comment

Not yet, though I'm hopeful they'll add such a feature. The Qoob mod on the GC could do it.

Comment

System Menu 3.4 is now available. The usual precautions apply, do not install the update under any circumstances. Gecko loader can force games to bypass the system updates, and the homebrewers will be working on a modified update or similar solution as we speak.

Comment

Just an FYI, I have been playing my Jap GC games on my PAL Wii via Gecko and GCBoot. Compatibility seems the same between the two (neither will play SnS2, both boot F-Zero GX but the menus don't appear properly), but neither allows me to access my save games (on Jap format memory cards).

Comment

I'm pretty sure Gecko and GCBoot both use the same GC booting code.

Comment

Maybe a really stupid question, but I'm asking this for someone else (been reading up, but don't have a Wii myself, yet): is there a simple way to get homebrew running without having an internet connect to the Wii?

I saw some stuff over at Eurasia, so I guess I can just put those on a CD-R? So do I have to get me some apps to put on a SD card first?? I'm pretty clueless as this is my first step into the Wii scene... Especially interested in that DVD-X program, just to check out if it's worth it, and maybe a regionfree app for the ol' Gamecube import games. (I'm talking about a PAL Wii here, dunno if it matters). Apparently newest version of the software pack hasn't got the DVD-X anymore, it states to install the homebrew channel and then obtain it there... but as I said, that Wii isn't online.

Sorry for coming over as such a noob :/

Comment

just get over to gbatemp, look in the wii'hacking' section, and get all the files you need from a sig of one of the users, load that all on to the SD card, use twilight and away you go..

The latest loader, currently uses CISO 249 v7 (think a CISO is like a dll) and BackupLoader 0.3 Gamma, and no this does NOT use dvdx anymore.

Comment

K, will look into that, Thanks Joe.

Comment

You don't need an internet connection for any of this, the exploit simply requires you to have Twilight Princess, because the exploit simply involved loading a modified Zelda save, which then installs the Homebrew Channel. The Homebrew Channel simply boots homebrew from SD card, so you just stick your applications/emulators/etc onto SD Card.

Gecko loader will run import Wii and GameCube games, and even force NTSC/PAL60 etc. It will not run backups. With this in mind, I'd like to tell you in more detail how to install everything, but I'm not sure if it's allowed here - if a moderator can confirm, that would be great.

It's all quite excellent because we can run Wii and GameCube games from any region on our console, with nothing more than a software exploit... Gecko doesn't boot DVDR's, and you can boot legitimate homebrew from SD. It's how it all should be.

Oh yeah, do not update your Wii! Anything newer than 3.3 (including the Wii Store 23rd October update) will break homebrew. The new 3.4 will break homebrew.

The DVDX program you refer to basically make it so homebrew applications can access the DVD drive (for example, watching DVD's in mplayer).
                                Last edited by sj33; 18-11-2008, 13:56.

Comment

Working...
                                X