NHL 09 [DEMO/Xbox 360]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NHL 09 [DEMO/Xbox 360]

The demo is of the past Stanley cup finalists, Detroit Red Wings and the Pittsburgh Penguins. You control either team for a 3 minute quarter.

Compared to the NHL 08 this plays slower, and the players seem to have more weight and inertia to them. Also, the body checking seems more substantial, and not quite as magnetic as 07 & 08

There's a few new tricks on offer (that i've not really had too much time to play with) such as:
    - heavy puck dump onto the boards
    - one handed dekes
    - new poke checking

Graphically, it seems to have lost a little bit of it's sheen, plus the little cutscenes between the plays seems to be stuttering slightly, though it could just be the demo.
    I've not played too much of the 'be a pro' mode so far, but it seems quite fun just body checking all the while and taking slap shots at every opportunity i get. It's pretty hard keeping onside when going on offense though.

As i loved NHL 08 i can't wait.
    Sept 12th can't quite come soon enough!
    Last edited by jimtendo; 03-09-2008, 21:48.

I too loved '08, but normally only buy a new NHL game every 3 years or so. Not worth my while every year as there aren't significant enough differences between each update for a caual ice hockey fan like myself. Will definitely download the demo and give it a shot though - for me NHL 08 was better than any of the, often held in higher esteem, 2k games.

Comment

Another 08 fan here too. But since I sold my 360 (and 08 along with it) I've been too-ing and fro-ing on whether to get the PS3 version of 08 or wait for 09.

Anyway, I downloaded the PS3 demo and from what I've played so far it's just what I wanted it to be; a slightly more refined 08. Still getting to grips with the new gameplay intricacies, but already the demo is enough of a taster to have the final game in my collection on launch day.

Comment

Heavy puck dumping?! Bring it on!

Comment

Demo got released week early last week on PS3. Only tried that one and it seemed very smooth but I think 2k9 is better for actual gameplay (thats still not great looking but leaps and bounds over last two 2k versions) NHL09 just felt very slow.

Comment

Be a Pro mode is so much better than the standard team game.

On the standard game the checks were piss weak and the skating arcs felt you were always chasing the game.

On the pro mode tonight, as Crosby I've scored about 10 goals and set up a fair few. Checking is still very hit and miss, but now I can take the time to line up an opponent and nail them: in the standard mode the cursor is constantly switching between players and as such you never feel as if you can get a good run at a player, or make your own runs into space. Naturally the only annoying thing about Pro mode is that the AI makes some blindingly obvious errors and makes poor decisions (e.g., passing), but I guess that's more realistic. The game still feels slow but I'm hoping for editable speed and power options.

Comment

There is quite a lot of emphasis on 'Be a Pro' this year, and hands down a better game than NHL 08 last year, and that's not saying 08 wasa bad game either. Just an excellent refinement and a worthy addition this year.

I've hit a couple of hat-tricks already (on pro difficulty) during my 'Be a Pro' career. Gotta love those empty netters
              I'm gonna try my hand at the online portion in a little while to gain some exp for my created character.

A few vids:

my first offline 'Be a Pro' goal

net buster!

long range slap shot

Comment

Originally posted by jimtendo View Post
                There is quite a lot of emphasis on 'Be a Pro' this year, and hands down a better game than NHL 08 last year, and that's not saying 08 wasa bad game either. Just an excellent refinement and a worthy addition this year.

I've hit a couple of hat-tricks already (on pro difficulty) during my 'Be a Pro' career. Gotta love those empty netters
                I'm gonna try my hand at the online portion in a little while to gain some exp for my created character.

A few vids:

my first offline 'Be a Pro' goal

net buster!

long range slap shot
                Nice!

Do these get uploaded automatically or do you have specially upload them from the replay menu?

That net buster is indictative of a wider oddnes I've witnesed/heard about in this game. Plough Boy told me of a penalty shoot out where the CPU scored a goal that mysteriously didn't count, even though on the replay it was well over the line. I myself saw something odd yesterday: the puck was blasted from the point, hit the forward/underside of the crossbar and landed flat on the line. No bobble, no bounce, no movement. It was an absolute blaster and it's physically impossible for it to land glued to the spot. Very odd.

Comment

Had a quick go of the demo and found it fairly enjoyable even though I'm not an Ice Hockey fan outside of EA's Megadrive offerings. Is there a Franchise mode in the full game or is it just the Be A Pro mode on the career side of things?

Comment

Its got everything m8 a massive dynasty mode what lasts 25 seasons and you can control the minors instead of majors if you want. Its got it all really a proper single player play as a team and buy and sell or just be one player and be anything from the goalie to a sniper LW. The big selling point for be a pro is you set up a team of realife 6 people and play 6vs6 online. I aint checked it online but from reading the manual it seems the same as Madden in that it has a league system for solo online as well.

I only had chance for a quick game last night and played exhibition on pro level (after faffing about setting up a goalie for be a pro for later) and it seemed smoother than the demo. If you dont like the stick shooting with ranalog you can also go back and have the 94 version for race buttons. It seemed abit too easy for me on pro level, CPU was shooting more than me but I could still shut em down. Yep its got some weird glitches with the puck but its near enough their (I had one where the puck bounced the perspex sheet to protect the crowd bounce back down but the game said it was out of bounds).

Again like Tiger woods this has to be the first descent EA NHL Ive come across on next gen. I defected to 2k for years but wheras last years felt clunky on EA effor this years its closer. Its slower and more realistc than 2k (I think they seem to be going even more arcadey with 2k) but I must admit I was still torn between both demos. I immediatly tried the 2k demo last night after the full version of this and Im sure I made the right choice this year, its even got the camera spot on.

We will have to look into getting our own team going

Oddly the PS3 version seems to be delayed to 26th in UK
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2008, 13:54.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                      Nice!

Do these get uploaded automatically or do you have specially upload them from the replay menu?
                      You'll have to save it first and then upload.
                      You can only record up to 25 seconds worth of footage.
                      Providing you've already set up an EASportsworld account, it would be uploaded pretty instant.

Comment

IS EA version best to get for PS3 ? as I am turning off with 2K series hip hop menu and interface.

Comment

Yep EA this year but as I said on PAL its delayed on PS3 in UK till 26th even though its out on 360 now.

Comment

I haven't played any ice hockey game for years since the Megadrive years. Is this easy enough to pick up play/learn moves ?

Reading other forums about the game and they blow my mind talking about different moves/plays but obviously that's hardcore ice hockey fans talking.

Comment

Did anyone pick up the PS3 import? Is it region locked for online play?

Comment

Working...
                              X