This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iOS recommended games and applications

As the subject says, come across a good game or application ? share the love in this thread.
    Seen the similar thread on neogaf get messy so would help if you post things like: if it's available on the UK store or is someone's homebrew creation (for jailbroken ones) etc.

Adding a couple of lines describing why it's good and the price and anything else you think useful would help.

Go for it ...

Forgot to add links to relevant First Play thread here

Super Monkey Ball

Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart

Texas Hold 'em

Comment

The best game on the iPhone is MotionX Poker, which is ?2.99. It's dice poker so it's slightly different to normal poker games, but it takes full advantage of the iPhone/Touch features and is really polished, with loads to do and unlock. There are dozens of dice to unlock and it even has kind of an achievement system, and it keeps track of pretty much everything in the stats. Addictive like you wouldn't believe, as well. The only real downside is no multiplayer.

As for apps, here are some of my favourites, in no particular order:
      • SimplifyMedia (free) - Stream your and your friends' iTunes libraries over the Internet (wi-fi/EDGE/3G). You just have to install the client software on your computer.
      • NetNewsWire (free) - An RSS reader that syncs over the Internet with your existing feeds if you use one of the company's other readers (NetNewsWire for Mac or FeedDemon for PC).
      • Tuner Internet Radio (?3.49) - Streams Internet radio to your iPhone/Touch, either from the included database of stations from tons of genres or any MP3/AAC feed you can find online.
      • Air Sharing (free for a limited time) - Lets you mount your iPhone/Touch as a wireless drive on your PC or Mac and send files to it. Even has a built-in web server to browse the files from your computer's browser, and let you read most common file formats (PDF, all Office docs, images, text, web archives, etc) on the iPhone.
      • Shazam (free) - Hear a song you like and want to know the name? This records a clip and uses it to identify the song, providing you with an iTunes link to buy it and a YouTube link to watch the video where applicable. Currently only for the iPhone as all but the new Touches lack the necessary microphone.
      • Advent (free) - iPhone port of Colossal Cave Adventure. A very old-school way to kill time.
      • IM+ Instant Messenger (free) - IM client with support for most common protocols. Not as nice an interface as Palringo, which does a similar thing, but this doesn't require registering your details with a company that you've never heard of.
      • IGN Reviews (free) - Provides IGN's game reviews, formatted for the iPhone, and even provides a link to an iPhone version of the video review where applicable.
      • Wikipanion (free) - An iPhone Wikipedia browser sounds a bit pointless when you can use Safari, but this formats it for the screen without all the miscellaneous guff that you don't need and gives quick access to the page index and external links along the bottom.

Comment

I read about cow toss and persuaded my brother to get it for his - he likes it! It is silly, he is silly, I am silly, you are silly - so buy it!

Comment

I'm a big fan of MMS for O2. Only a web app but it's a very convenient way to receive and view MMS messages from others who are not iPhone users. Needs a small donation to unlock full functionality but it beats logging into O2 via the Safari browser to view something.

The official Wordpress blog app is great for people who use Wordpress for blogging purposes. Gives you more or less full functionality from the palm of your hand.

Showtimes is fantastic if you're a frequent cinema goer and it presents results based on your current location via the GPS functionality.

Comment

Gamewise, I've bought a ton and many are rubbish.

Vay (from US store) I thought would be cool, being an old school RPG port. The control is unbearable. Avoid.

Critter Crunch is a colour/gemsy/puzzle thing with little creatures and is rather enjoyable. It has nice, crisp graphics and, rather than just sticking with one simple set of rules, it builds as you go on and there's quite a bit to it.

I'm currently messing about with Spore Origins which is just like fl0w only it doesn't look as stylish.

Comment

Not an app but signing up for an Izzymail account allows you to use your Hotmail/MSN email address for an annual fee of £12ish. You can always access your Hotmail through Safari, but registering with Izzymail and using their settings cuts out any fiddlling about. Works really well.

iPint - free game which is fun for about 2 minutes but is a great way to show off your new toy.

Face Melter - costs about £1.50 and is worth it for the hilarity of uglifying your mates.

Another vote for Simplify Media. If you haven't got it yet, do so before they start charging for it. It's like having an unlimited iPod. You can invite up to 30 friends and listen to each others music collections as well, so it's probably wise to move any embarrassing songs to another folder, away from prying eyes. Just wish my workplace wasn't built out of kryptonite so I could get a decent Edge or 3G signal, because then it really would be a godsend.

iFooty - handy free app that features fixtures and news on clubs from the EPL, the Championship, League One, League Two and the SPL.

Comment

Originally posted by PrayforMojo View Post
                You can invite up to 30 friends and listen to each others music collections as well, so it's probably wise to move any embarrassing songs to another folder, away from prying eyes.
                LOL, that's exactly my fear. Simplify is strictly for streaming my content to my phone

Comment

Am I right in thinking that Simplify Media doesn't allow you to stream tracks that you've purchased from the iTunes store, because mine don't appear to be showing up? If that's the case, way to go Apple. That's really going to discourage piracy.

Comment

Stay well clear of the Force Unleashed on iPhone. UTTER PISH

Bit like a spreadsheet with swiping abilities.

Comment

Real Football 2009, absolutely love it.

Adding wifi multiplayer in the next update too.

Last edited by Myth; 16-09-2008, 22:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Taka View Post
                        I'm a big fan of MMS for O2. Only a web app but it's a very convenient way to receive and view MMS messages from others who are not iPhone users. Needs a small donation to unlock full functionality but it beats logging into O2 via the Safari browser to view something.
                        Taka, any chance of a link to this?

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                          Taka, any chance of a link to this?

There you go, bud.

Comment

TDK:HaHaHa is a fun little app for wasting some time on. Basically lets you add the joaker smile onto any pic, or a couple of phrases (why so serious, and hahaha)

Comment

I'm on a Simplicity contract & never get an SMS with a link to the online image for O2 mms so that wouldn't work for me. Is there something I need to setup with O2 to activate the texting service?

Comment

Working...
                              X