No announcement yet.

Far Cry 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really enjoying this. Only thing I don't like about it, is the long haul to different mission objectives. Graphics are superb, gameplay is brilliant! All in all a good game, will update with more impressions when I get a bit further.

Comment

Can someone clarify that when the game is completed, you are free to continue finding all the safe houses, and clearing the checkpoints etc. Or should this be done before you complete the main game? Can you get back to the northern territory?

Ta

Momo

Comment

Originally posted by sch15m View Post
        i hope they release an update to fix the annoying RPG glitch, when u fire your rpg the rocket just hits the ground, it goes round and round and finally it explodes, happened way too much in 6 hours. also i keep hearing about freezing glitches that result in losing your saves.
        Are you saying the glitch is it happens too frequently, or that the rocket hits the ground and spins round?

Comment

Oh, screw this.

I've tried to give this some time to click with me, but I'm not enjoying it at all. I can't be doing with all the driving between missions. I dread running into stragglers. They irritate the hell out of me. Reminds me of when you went fast on your horsey in Assassin's Creed and everyone went mental and wanted to kill you. I could learn to live with that if the combat was satisfying, but it isn't. Feels like bullets have no impact, except when they hit you.

It's getting traded in later while I can still get a decent price for it.

Comment

Originally posted by sch15m View Post
            i hope they release an update to fix the annoying RPG glitch, when u fire your rpg the rocket just hits the ground, it goes round and round and finally it explodes, happened way too much in 6 hours.
            You... do realise that's what happens when you pick up a dodgy RPG, right? It's intentional, not a glitch?

EDIT: Whoops, semi-beat'd by MonkeyWrench, but I'll leave it in.

Comment

I am getting it in few weeks time. Which version should I get PS3 or 360 (Any Trophies)

Comment

The game has trophy support, any differences are negligible so I guess it comes down to which controller you prefer

Comment

I don't know how it's managing it, but Far Cry 2 is keeping me away from GoW2, LBP, MS2, Fable2 and Fallout 3...the latter three I've not even opened yet! To me it's a step in the right direction for the FPS genre. For so long we've been been funnelled down a linear path (which is no bad thing when done right - HL2, Halo, etc.), it's just makes such a refreshing change to be able to tackle the story in any manner you wish...whether you actually want to tackle the story at all! I spent the first 3-4 hours doing nothing but exploring. Not encountered by bugs yet, so my opinion might change

Comment

this game has been doing my head in since i got it on friday but i will keep going

the checkpoints are annoying where you have to take out a few guys and then somebody on a machine gun mounted jeep comes flying into your car

a few times i've been going on foot and sneaking through the bushes to places to avoid the gun fights and cant wait to have enough diamonds to be able to buy a sniper rifle

as too much ammo is used up on these checkpoint gun fights, also i've had random people just shoot at me

does anyone else think it takes too long to kill them as the machine guns dont seem to take people out unless you use alot of your rounds

Comment

Originally posted by PrayforMojo View Post
                      Oh, screw this.

I've tried to give this some time to click with me, but I'm not enjoying it at all. I can't be doing with all the driving between missions. I dread running into stragglers. They irritate the hell out of me. Reminds me of when you went fast on your horsey in Assassin's Creed and everyone went mental and wanted to kill you. I could learn to live with that if the combat was satisfying, but it isn't. Feels like bullets have no impact, except when they hit you.

It's getting traded in later while I can still get a decent price for it.
                      Couldn't agree more , this is just a pile of boring rubbish that winds me up the wrong way . I haven't a clue where to go, what to do half the time and the driving parts piss the hell out of me , as does people shooting you for next to no reason .

One of the most overrated games ever .

Comment

I'm liking this more now, but it certainly is fairly over-rated - or at least I can't understand for the life of me why people aren't more irritated by its flaws. Checkpoints do not stay cleared, ever - or rather I realise you can "scout" them, but that just ticks another mark off on the game's list of collectables. It hasn't stopped any of them re-stocking so far, not so as I've noticed... sometimes inside an hour of game time (!), which is utterly ridiculous. So many little things are just under-done, rushed, poorly thought-out or lifeless:

-the voice-acting
                        -the lack of anyone outside (yes, I know why they did it, but I'm sorry, it hurts the atmosphere no end)
                        -the bus stations
                        -the getting attacked on sight (I know there's a justification for it, but it's a poor justification that's blatantly little more than an excuse to spare themselves making a much more complex game)
                        -the fact that your buddies are utterly interchangeable - no unique missions whatsoever just isn't good enough

But if you're prepared to take it slow and put up with the game's faults, it does cast quite a spell regardless. It really is very, very reminiscent of Stalker; lonely, eerily beautiful, somewhat unnerving, quite, quite vicious. There's nothing outright bad about any of the gameplay elements and it's frequently amazingly immersive. (No really big spoilers, but if anyone doesn't want to know, there we go I just did the

assault on the arms pile in the deserted farmhouse

and that was stunning - great, great little sequence, fairly emergent,

skirting the lake in the rain, inching through the fields, watching the light off the grass moving in the wind (very Stalker), sniping the outlying guards from a distance, then moving in, setting great swathes of the grounds on fire to help me take on the rest.

Fantastic, for all the clunky bits or general rough edges. I'm disappointed Ubisoft couldn't turn out the game they were hinting at (when do they ever? ), but eh, this'll do.

Comment

Still plugging away with this one and it's still keeping me from my pile of AAA titles. Reached just over 40% complete and had a pleasent surprise when

I realised there's a whole other area! I really thought that first map was it, but thought it was mental that there was supposed to be over 200 brief cases, wondering why I wasn't literally tripping over them

Still think it's a decent game despite it's faults.

Comment

Just hit the second act, myself (30&#37; or so) - I would have played today but Mirror's Edge turned up. <_< Nice moral dilemma, if not even slightly as effective as it should have been, and nice bridging cutscene. I definitely want to keep going.

The checkpoints respawning is especially ludicrous if they're right next to the edge of an area. Drive into a new map, turn around, drive back up the road and the enemies have all reappeared inside fifteen seconds. Unbelievably lazy. Would it have been that hard to set it so they don't turn up again until at least, say, half a day's gone past?

Still enjoying myself. I can't believe how badly the game wants to be Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now, though .

Comment

Originally posted by Eight Rooks View Post
                              -the voice-acting
                              The voice acting is ok, they just speak really, really quick.

*south African accent*

“quickthereheisinthebushes!!!!’

“****getinthecar!”

They also say some pretty funny things if you go in stealthy.

I followed one guy back to his outpost after a firefight to hear a pretty neat conversation:

Bloke 1:“you’re lucky to be alive!”

Shot soldier: “The guys a **** shot”. lol

-the getting attacked on sight (I know there's a justification for it, but it's a poor justification that's blatantly little more than an excuse to spare themselves making a much more complex game)
                              Exactly. Being endlessly attacked makes little sense when you’re on a mission to bring them medical supplies etc…
                              Last edited by Kit; 29-05-2009, 23:56.

Comment

I think it's fair to say that this is the best **** game I've played this year

Comment

Working...
                                X