Far Cry 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Malc View Post
    The enemy AI could also see through walls, the amount of times i've run in a building and to see bullets hitting the otherside of the wall as they tracked wherever I moved inside is crazy; the terrorists must have heat vision goggles out in Africa.
    I picked this up recently too and have to say, for all the love and attention that's gone into the world (special kudos for the fantastic graphics and atmosphere though ubi, it really is a showcase looker) they have utterly failed to make the game actually fun to play.

I mean there i am happily driving to my next mission taking in the sights and from out of no where (im sure they telleport in) bang im sandwiched between 2 jeeps and what must of been 15 solders around me, which = a very dead me.

And don't get me started on all the enemies having virtual night, heat and zoom vision combined.

Comment

Just finished this. It's the best FPS I've played since Halo: CE. The combat is excellent and the enemies really force you to think about what you are doing. It is also the most beautiful (realistic/FPS) game I have ever witnessed.

I can understand that if people don't enjoy the combat then it could grate, but I love it!

The only thing I didn't like is the invisible walls and some seemingly climbable rocks which you couldn't mount. :/
      Last edited by egparadigm; 18-10-2009, 18:13.

Comment

I like the combat, but you're clearly kidding yourself. Enemies can't deal with being attacked at range, and there are artificial barriers to progress all over the place. It's not half the game they promised it was going to be. The AI only forces you to think about what you're doing for the few seconds it takes to think "Oh, right, sniper rifle", then you've pretty much won as long as you keep your head down. Burn out the ones you can't spot on the scope, mop up the stragglers, job done.

I did like it a lot - might even play it again, and I even traded up to the CE to get a hard copy of the developer diary - but it's horribly, horribly flawed and far too easy, not to mention unfinished. Certainly a beautiful 'open' world, though.

Comment

I don't see why I have to be 'kidding myself' just because I take a different view of it.

You may have a point about the snipering thing, though.

Comment

Part being facetious, part serious. It is a great game, but it can be broken/exploited fairly easily (hit the AI at range whenever possible), the open world is largely smoke and mirrors (linear paths everywhere, barriers, much of the world doesn't do anything), the story's close to meaningless after months of enough grand promises to put Molyneux for shame (absolutely no detail to your actions or your interaction with your buddies, to say nothing of the appalling voice-acting) and the ending's a damp squib (clearly states one thing is going to happen then doesn't follow through). Plus the AI's not even close to Halo 2 or 3 or Killzone (see above, plus God knows how many other ways you can play with it). These are all objective facts, not opinions.

It's a strange game, really. I'd say it feels great to play, but this is largely down to a general sense of 'oh my Lord I am so badass right now' and wallowing in the atmosphere rather than any admiration of the nuts and bolts, so to speak. I'm partly winding you up - hence the - but I also remain convinced no-one who thought about it very hard could seriously overlook its faults. Typically Ubisoft, in other words... eh, there's always Far Cry 3, I guess.

Comment

Just got to mention that this is £10 on both 360 and PS3 in HMV at the moment.

All this debate has made me dig my copy out, played far too much GTAIV over the last ten days.

Comment

Yeah, pre-owned copies are even cheaper in Game. It is so worth picking up cheap, seriously. I'm even making myself want to revisit it. Maybe once I've clocked Uncharted 2's campaign.

Comment

I got this game free with my PS3 back in November 2008, just started playing it the last couple of days.

I'm liking it but there are some wtf!? moments:

- The bloke can reset his broken elbows and pull out bullets the width of a Yorkie bar from his limbs, but he can't climb over knee height rocks.
                  - The enemy soldiers love driving. Great, but why jump in a car when I'm down to my last bar of health?

Comment

I'm hooked on this at the moment (playing through on 'hardcore') even though I only manage to play 4-5 hours a week.

This is not the game to play if you have a backlog and want something with an instant pull.

All the bad things in this thread - I felt them at the beggining, but once you get used to the fact this is not Halo / Killzone 2 / MW2 you adapt and it becomes immensely satisfying.

Comment

Woah, a baby, house move and 17 months later I fired this up again for a quick go last night.

The atmosphere (with the music off) is still special. Creeping about at dusk with the animal sounds and the wind - lovely.

Noticing the not so good performance on PS3 whereas I didn't last year though.

Comment

Playing this on GWG. Never tried any of the series before. The overall feel is great. Very atmospheric.

Anyone finding the controls are weird though? It seems to start moving aim slowly and then accelerates crazily.

Comment

Working...
                        X