Far Cry 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Far Cry 2

I've been looking forward to this one for some time, and so far there are a few disappointing features but it is mostly good.

The game is basically a FPS GTA, an open world set in Africa where just about everybody wants you dead apart from those who give missions, who no doubt also want you dead but are exploiting you first. It's a very mean place, you can't go five minutes without getting shot at. It has nothing to do with the original Far Cry, and has no mutants.

The game opens with a lengthy journey in a jeep to a nearby town, which does a good job in explaining the rules of the world without bashing them over your head however it does drag on bit. You eventually get there and the plot gets underway - simply kill a man known as The Jackel, who has been supplying arms to everybody in Africa.

For approximately an hour after this point you are rather clumsily lead from point to point where the tutorial explains an awful lot of nothing - Ubisoft have made no effort to integrate this into the game world, so get used to loads of popups about things you've already figured out for yourself! Still, it serves its purpose.

During the tutorial you get for first go at combat, which is where the game shines. You get the flamethrower almost instantly and its pretty clear Ubisoft are proud of the fire effects - this Africa has a crazy amount of red barrels that really do go boom, spreading the fire everywhere which causes more explosions and fire...it is quite a sight to behold. I threw a single grenade into an enemy camp, landing next to a jeep, which exploded setting everything around it on fire, and before I knew it the whole camp had lit up with all the enemies running around trying to find out what the hell just happened! It's very impressive, the buildings\huts catch fire, trees catch fire, the ground catch fire, people catch fire. It's all effected by the wind too, and spreads realisticly.

The gun-play is good, not up to CoD4 standards but much better than previous console Far Cry efforts. The AI does a fairly good job in keeping things interesting but won't win any awards.

The game world is massive and unfortunately it feels a bit to much hard work finding your way to the next mission point - get used to seeing the map, because you'll need it displayed almost constantly. The problem is your character isn't particularly agile, so any steep hill he won't walk up, so you almost always have to walk the long way around (unless Ubi have decided that you can take the alternative route into a base). At several points on the map there are enemy checkpoints, who'll shoot on sight and chase you down if you run\drive away. You can see where these checkpoints are on the map and can avoid them, but it does mean taking the long way round. Thankfully the driving mechanics are surprisingly good, so it isn't all bad.

I don't feel particularly compelled to just explore like I did in Oblivion, or be apart of the world like in GTA4, because everything is so damn hostile. This isn't meant as an entirely negative comment because it's a bloody tense experience (you can only save in safe-houses or after missions), but it is a little much sometimes. During the opening drive you see all sorts of villagers walking along the sides of roads, minding their own business - more of this in the main game world would have done a lot for the experience, balancing it out and driving home the message.

I don't want to be too negative however, because this is an incredibly well put together package. The audio and visuals are among the best I've experienced on a console (360) and despite the scale of the map and density of the forests etc, there has been no sign of slowdown so far. At times this looks immense, particularly when the sun is at its lowest.

I don't think the game pushes forward the genre like some reviews have suggested, and it certainly doesn't push forward mature story telling like I was hoping (the script is ok but the delivery is pretty awful), but for any FPS fan this is so far, two hours in, shaping up to be an excellent, lengthy (4% complete) game.

Gamersyde have the opening ten minutes of this up, if anyone's interested.

I'm quite disappointed to find that you're constantly attacked on sight. I could understand it if groups of a certain faction that you've pissed off would take pot shots, but for everyone to be doing it doesn't seem right. I liked the idea of exploring and not quite knowing what to expect when you come across an encampment. :/

One question. Once you've cleared a check point out - does it stay cleared or will it be occupied the next time you pass?

Comment

Great impressions Pete. I meant to try this yesterday, but Dark Sector beat it too it.

By the sounds of things, maybe the game is really pushing sniping? It's a real shame you can't just blend in to the surroundings, but are forever a "Hot Target".

The fire effects sound fun, so I'm looking forward to that!

Comment

I bought it today.

Played it for a few hours and came to the conclusion that its frustrating.

Same stye of landscape, VERY poor car driving section (car seems to top or go, no sense of realness), people seem to be akward to kill even when sighted. poor interation with people in game.

Nice idea but for me, i'm not wasting anymore time on it. So its been sold and of to its new owner.

6/10 from me

Comment

I gave this a go yesterday, about a couple of hours I spent on it I think and I was left rather underwhelmed. It is good but, like Pete mentioned, it is doesn't really push the genre forward like I was expecting after all the things I had read and heard.

The driving is pretty poor and when you take into account that is one part of the game you will spending alot of time with (to get to missions) it is rather frustrating.

The main FPS stuff is pretty good, it looks nice and there are some decent ideas thrown about (the buddies and safehouses being the main ones) but overall I found it quite underwhelming.

Comment

The driving model itself imo is very good, very easy to handle but also has enough weight to feel realistic. Yet to find any particularly quick mode of transport, however.

By the sounds of things, maybe the game is really pushing sniping? It's a real shame you can't just blend in to the surroundings, but are forever a "Hot Target".
            No it's not really pushing sniping because of the way it limits you to one hand gun, one heavy weapon (sniper rifle, AK47 etc) and one special (flamethrower, rocket launcher). I've been needing to swap weapons throughout a battle depending on the moment, which is made extra tense when you get a faulty weapon which keeps jamming on you!
            There are safe areas, large towns and mission givers, where you are safe to walk about without fear of being hassled. Outside of these areas it is all against you, apart from your buddies which are pretty cool (you make friends at certain points and they give you extra missions and assistance, but when they die they are really dead). I shot the french women in the gut then set her on fire by accident.

I liked the idea of exploring and not quite knowing what to expect when you come across an encampment. :/
            Yeah this is a big problem for me. The map is fully complete when you finish the tutorial. I've found a couple of areas not listed but all the main spots are there. The game has a hidden packages side quest - collecting diamonds - which is well implemented and surprisingly compelling, so you do get to try some exploring.

One question. Once you've cleared a check point out - does it stay cleared or will it be occupied the next time you pass?
            They respawn It's not actually that hard to clear a checkpoint so long as you are tooled up, it'll get frustrating when you need to get back to a safehouse and there is no other way through though!

In a similar way to Assassin's Creed, Ubisoft have tried to do something a little different but in the process have traded sensible design choices with gimmicks, but unlike Assassin's Creed, Farcry actually has the substance to carry it through. If you got on with Stalker and are able to put up with a rather humdrum introduction, I think you'd get a lot out of this.

Comment

Thanks for answering the questions. I think I'll wait a little while for this, maybe get it for Christmas (Wasn't going to get it on release anyway).

Perhaps Ubisoft are laying the foundations for some really strong second iterations of these IPs, although I'm sure that's not intentional. Here's hoping they learn for the inevitable sequels.

Comment

This game is getting better the futher I get in, still early days (10% complete!) but I have access to more weapons and have a better understanding of the game world. Checkpoints are now less annoying because I'm getting better at clearing them, however I still feel there are too many battles (I don't think I mentioned there are random encounters too!), but that is pretty much my only fault with the game now.

I hacked into a telephone mast and intercepted a mission to kill a guy in a convoy, so headed south and ended up in a huge open space and waited for them to arrive. Nowhere to hide so I just stood on the roof of my car with my rocket launcher. I could see the convoy approach - armed jeeps front and back and my target in the middle. First rocket hits and destroys the front jeep, second rocket misfires and lands just a few feet away from me, starts flaming and sets off a fire before exploding and taking out my car with it. I manage to shoot out the driver of the final jeep but my target escapes. I jump in the jeep and start chasing the guy down, the bastard just keeps going but I am on his tail. Eventually I manage to cut him off with a rather wreckless ramming move, flipping over his car. He gets out and starts running into the forest, so I start chase again but lose sight. He can't hide though, as he appears on my GPS. Off in the distance I see him still running - pull out my sniper rifle - one shot. Mission complete

That's a PC shot, but it looks the same on 360.

Comment

Just started playing it, the first encounter was my kinda thing I chose a stealthy option right around the back of the building instead of running through the numerous enemies.
                  It's nice to play an FPS in a different environment too.

Comment

Originally posted by ezee ryder View Post
                    I gave this a go yesterday, about a couple of hours I spent on it I think and I was left rather underwhelmed. It is good but, like Pete mentioned, it is doesn't really push the genre forward like I was expecting after all the things I had read and heard.

The driving is pretty poor and when you take into account that is one part of the game you will spending alot of time with (to get to missions) it is rather frustrating.

The main FPS stuff is pretty good, it looks nice and there are some decent ideas thrown about (the buddies and safe houses being the main ones) but overall I found it quite underwhelming.
                    Same feelings here. I've expected a little bit more from this game after all the attention it has gotten. I'm playing it on the 360 and I'm really wondering who thought up it was better to have safe houses instead of having the option to save everywhere. C'mon, it's back to 1997 for me on this point.

The graphics are amazing, the location is cool as well, the guns are nice (even the jamming thing is a nice idea) and the way fire spreads is wonderful to look at and play with. But for me Far Cry 2 is a bit like Assassin's Creed. It looks great and has some nice ideas, but during development they forgot some important things (like those horrible safe houses), which makes the game a bit of a disappointment for me. I'll try to play it a bit more to see if it get's better, but at the moment Fable 2 deserves all my attention...

Comment

See I'm glad they took out the save anywhere function, makes the game a lot more atmospheric. Death can be so harsh that every encounter is a fight for your life.

I've done one mission per mission-giver now (the two main factions, underground, guns, radio mast, buddy) - does anyone know if at any point you have to pick a side? Also if anyone has any tips on which weapons are best that'll be helpful!

Comment

Been playing this for most of the morning and I'm currently 8% through it, but it's really sucked me in, love the feel of the game, it definitely has quite a unique atmosphere. I've spent a fair bit of time just exploring, trying to find diamonds and unlocking safe houses, I can definitely see myself trying to 100% this one.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyWrench View Post
                          Been playing this for most of the morning and I'm currently 8% through it, but it's really sucked me in, love the feel of the game, it definitely has quite a unique atmosphere. I've spent a fair bit of time just exploring, trying to find diamonds and unlocking safe houses, I can definitely see myself trying to 100% this one.
                          Good stuff.

I tried for about 2 hours, but just rushed about and didn't take my time and enjoy the atmosphere. I'll put this down until DS is finished then start again in a slow methodical way, to try and get the best out of it.

First impressions were pretty poor my end, so I think a break is a good idea. Nice to see the positives of the game coming through here.

Comment

The graphics are very impressive, i like that you can plan and approach each mission/encounter as you wish. I lurk in the bushes with a sniper rifle picking people off, and then peg it to another hidey spot and repeat!

Are the buses the only way of fast travel? I'm finding the travelling in trucks and through checkpoints a bit tedious. Why cant they stay cleared?

I think the safe houses are a good idea, but not if you've trekked on foot for several km, only to appear back in the last safehouse frigging miles away!!!

Comment

Got this game on Friday, 1 hour in and now its up for sale.

For me the game just doesn't click.
                              - There doesn't seem to be any satisfaction (if that's the right word) when shots connects, unlike say something like CoD 4.
                              -The field of vision also seems very narrow and I find myself constantly panning left to right.
                              - Why can't they put a mini map on the HUD?
                              But the deal breaker for me are the firefights you encounter when traveling from A to B. Combine this with points 1 & 2, then your in a world of hurt.

Comment

Working...
                              X