ION drum rocker (360)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ION drum rocker (360)

Yea I guess you could shove this in GHWT and RB thread but its more about the quality and build of the unit.

Im dumping a video of it putting it together now wont be up till probably tommorow though as will take an hour to convert an hour to upload then few hours till decode on the site.

Complete set of pictures

Video will be here of setting up and how it all attaches

Ok I havent switched it on yet as Ive got to plug the interconnects in from each pad (as everything is a seperate interconnect to the brain).

All I can is (censored for your pleasure ) big time on the build quality

If the thing plays as well as how its put together and made Im going to dribble man love all over it. Apart from the pads and cymbals the whole thing is made of metal. It comes with a wingnut key because everything is adjustable. It all comes in seperates and currently took me 2hours slowly doing it all as theirs a heck of a lot of boxes and because its basically a build it yourself drumkit a right fun time.

Its just beautifull and if Id gone back to my original of paying £300 on import for one plus fees before Ion cancelled em way back end of June for international preorders I have to be honest I still wouldnt have been disapointed with the price tag.

Take the arms on left and right for example for green and red you shove the arm support in on the right and attach the basically big chunky allen key supported red pad onto the arm wingnut. Because the base vertical on the left also has its own wingnut this means you can then lower up and down the pad but also move the entire arm in and out and then ontop of that tilt the pad to how you want it. The whole system is like that even the support structure in the middle for the yellow and blue can go up higher and tilted back and forward.

Theirs two metal poles (one short one long) for the big cymbals and again you can twist/turn and rotate to how you want them and adjust the height (blue one has a huge pole with it). The brain just inserts via a big chunky allen key underneat into the middle wingnut support so again you twist it how you want. Again though must stress on this EVERY part is seperate to add so if you dont want 4 pads and just want two and two cymbals off you go.

I dont know who said the pedal was plastic crap but they want their head reading. Again its solid chunky metal. It seems to have less need for pressure on it so should be great for my crap feet. It looks like its a different design as it has a big spring in the middle but what looks like a microswitch device in the centre front so as I said it actually needs less force so should make double easier. It comes with two screws at front either side so you can pretty much bolt it to a surface. Also comes with velcro (to attach not already added) so you can keep it firm on carpet but I cant see that you will need it as its heavier than RB1 but it also has a big rubber strip underneath running across to stop slippage on non carpet (I have wooden floor as trip on carpets and even with a quick test of it not plugged in its not slipped on its own). It doesnt have a support structure to attach to (ie the hooks on RB pedal to a centre support) which was my biggest concern when I opened it but its zero concern now as again its fully metal and unlike RB its not hollow underneat its pure metal encased.

Going to do the connecting next but again everything apart from the brain (what has a USB cable sealed in) is interconnects both ends so theirs no wires to worry about you can just plug from brain to sed red pad. Again this means if you want the left pad to be yellow for some unknown reason you just unplug and shove into yellow socket. Cymbals you get 3 plastic circles of Yellow green and blue to put on the top of the cymbal if you want to remember what they are and theirs one spare (default setup) port on the brain to add another cymbal to for green (but again you can use any combination as nothings set).

All in all very impressive so far and glad Ive put the £90 from the GHWT drumkit to this. This definetly aint a RB/ION cashcow tie in its a proper drumkit that just happens to work with Rock band and now GHWT

Forgot to add the pads are pad sensative so they work on RB2/GHWT for hitting light gives light sound and harder pumping turn that volume down rants from rest of house lol

Video is up currently converting

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page
    Last edited by Guest; 30-10-2008, 16:04. Reason: adding 360 to title and pad sensative like a lady called Emily

You lucky lucky git

When this was announced I was sooo going to buy this but then I got cold feet. Looks brilliant though.

Comment

If I win the lottery, this is getting bought!

Comment

I ordered mine online at lunchtime from the same place as you and the gits haven't processed my order. Probably turn up on Monday now.

Looks mint tho.

Comment

Meh my spine feels like Ive snapped it in two lol

Was only going to do a quick test and spent two hours on it (not really well enough to play drums today). All I can say is its sublime. The pads feel like leather cushions compared to the awful hard plastic of RB 1. They have beautifull rebound but also a feather touch to register. Ive never smacked the crap out of RB drums and thats where Ive come into issues of it not always registering. On this you can hardly touch the pads and they register 100% everytime. Same with the cymbals and Im already addicted to using the green cymbal on the far right instead of green pad they just give that feel of hitting real ones.

The new Ion kit just feels perfect like your using a real drumkit I guess and not some plastic toy. I did my fav song (Hey ho aka snow by Chill Peppers) and I beat the score on my first go and I cannot say I was trying infact I know I wasnt as my spine was having spasms at same time lol.

Its also very quiet. The pedal is extremely quiet you dont have a spring banging all over the place as the spring lifts gently and you just cant make the microswitch out clicking while playing. The drums are again just like hitting leather cushions so even sound abit like it their just very quiet compared to Rock bands. I havent hit a what I call bum note either ie hitting the edges etc.. as the pads are so much bigger. They havent got that nasty raised edge of plastic like RB what Im always hitting so you can get away with having them angled almost horizontal if you wanted and not have to attack them right above.

The only downsides I can find with it is its big compared to Rock bands probably 2fiths bigger easily but as you can fold the sides in not so much an issue. Also another one is the foot pedal. Man its so light and Ive got size 12s so Im getting used to having to lift up abit more (as its a micro switch) instead of the actual pedal shoving my foot up when I lift real forcefully.

I got used to it very quickly (like 3 bars in) and when used to it I would never go back as you can easily play with bare feet/socks and its definetly not going to tire my dead legs out (can rotate feet and lift them but not legs). I cant say my feet hurt after a session so thats a first. Also its a lot of wires as its interconnects from every piece but I just wrapped em around the frame and used ties (provided). Im being picky but I guess if theirs downsides their they are.

All in all its perfect. I couldnt ask for any better. Its 100% responsive and just what Rock Banded need. Proper drums for a game really. I go back to what I said before though with summing up I guess. I wanted one of these when I heard about em in June. I got told it would be £300 at least with duty and postage etc.. so I didnt bother. Luckily this week I had enough to get one (was going to get a JPN 360) when I found out you could get one for £230 in UK. I would be happy if it cost me £300. Im glad it didnt but I wouldnt be upset as its that well built and I have to admit Im also non too bothered that Im waiting till December for JPN 360 either now Id rather have this easily.
          Last edited by Guest; 30-10-2008, 20:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Gradius View Post
            I ordered mine online at lunchtime from the same place
            What place is that?

Comment

http://www.djkit.co.uk/product.php?i...ion%20rock

just called them up and mine is due to be delivered today.

Comment

I also ordered one of these. Thanks for the impressions Dazzy - I am literally f8cking myself to get this.

Cannot wait! One q - is there a bar to attach the pedal on to or is it free standing only?

Comment

Oh ok I just snapped and ordered one for Saturday delivery. Phoned up to confirm it would be dispatched today and the guy said yes.

Have to get it delivered to my work though as there is no Saturday delivery to my house

Is it heavy? I'll need to get it up 3 flights of stairs

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
                    One q - is there a bar to attach the pedal on to or is it free standing only?
                    I think it's free standing only but it has lots of grippy options like spikes or rubber.

Comment

Originally posted by Gradius View Post
                      I think it's free standing only but it has lots of grippy options like spikes or rubber.
                      Cheers. Rubber it is I feel. No spiking the floor in a rented house for me

Comment

That looks really great. Here is hoping for a PS3 brain to go with it.

Its almost enough to make me want to switch over to the 360, 'cept for the fact there is no ntsc-j Rock Band out there (yet).

Comment

whats the cheapest ( i use that word lightly ) to get one in the uk, cheers

( if off topic please dont reply ill ask elsewhere but sas we are talking drums, i have the rock band 1 set will they work woth g h world tour, i was planning on getting the big band set again just wonderd how it would work as g hero has 3 drums and 2 symble things? and rb has 4 as we all know , just wondering this as i could but this instead of having 2 sets of drums if this will work well with both of them, plmk thanks )
                          Last edited by yesteryeargames; 31-10-2008, 09:55.

Comment

Originally posted by yesteryeargames View Post
                            whats the cheapest ( i use that word lightly ) to get one in the uk, cheers
                            AFAIK it is the djkit route as mentioned above.

I looked into it briefly at the start of the US production run but was ?300 + inc shipping.

?230 seems great compared to that.

Comment

Cheapest price is same really all over UK £230 delivered. I went with DJKIT as they had them instock and where also selling em on ebay instock (I bought from website though just incase). I dont think your going to get one cheaper and they might actually go up with exchange rate because at moment even if ION opened em up direct it would cost you more ($300+shipping+vat and duty).

Pedal is floor only their is no mounting bar but its proper metal pedal its heavy and has a rubber bar underneath to stop slippage, screws to bolt to a floor if you want to (can take em out) or velcro strips for carpet (not added out of box come in two strips). I suspose if you where a nutter you could buy a pair of slippers and attach the velcro to one slippper instead lol. I used it on wooden floor and no issues which was the thing I was really worried about (its what stopped me getting GHWT drums before any of the other issues where raised). Im always moving the RB1 ones and Ive had no travel with these non mounted so they work well.

The braiiiiiins are the thing to get exited about with these though as its plug your brain in so when the PS3 one comes out their reallly shouldnt be any reason why ION couldnt sell em seperate if you had both machines and of course as its a proper drum kit you can buy a midi brain. Ive heard rumours that GHWT brains will be out as well not sure how true that is.

If you order from DJKIT today it wont come till Monday now as its courier service (City Link). They are very fast I got mine on Wednesday (too ill to open it till Thursday) after ordering 11pm Monday night. Its heavy courier brought mine into bedroom for us and then my dad got the parts out.

Comment

Working...
                              X