Thunderforce VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunderforce VI

My copy of Thunderforce VI on the PS2 from play-asia turned up today.

It's a horizontal scrolling shooter, but every now and then, play rotates a little bit, not that you have any control over the direction you shoot.

Note that I've not played any of the previous games, but from looking at them, I was expecting scenery to navigate, but there is very little of that, and when it does, it's just some dull fast moving cavern scenery and some blocks to shoot. Pretty uninspired on that front.

Opening movie sets a terrifying scene with some abysmal rock guitar solo

Luckily the music gets a bit better, but I doubt it's going to get most people fired up - jazzy breakbeat anyone?

There's only one ship to choose from, but it shouldn't take you long to unlock the other ships because on the normal mode it's all so easy. Although I enjoy shooters a lot and love analysing the gameplay hooks and scoring depths, I'm not very good at them. But I easily completed the first level on Manic mode without dying. Going back to normal mode after that seems like nothing is going on.... Additionally, there are 1ups scattered around all over the place, so I can highly recommend this to people who like shooters but find them really hard.

Graphics are pretty, but low res. Bullets should be easy to spot because they are bright colours, but for some reason, I'm getting caught out every now and then. Some of them kinda pulse which makes them hard to distinguish from your own weapons.

When the screen rotates a bit, tbh, it's a pain in the arse on manic mode because suddenly you can disappear off the playing area and are restricted from moving down so much - fine once you get used to it, but the first few times, I was trying to dodge down and found myself up against an invisible wall. What were they thinking? Or perhaps they didn't notice.

There are lots of different weapons and for each, there is an overweapon which is obscenely powerful, but needs to be replenished by picking up aura (or whatever) from downed enemies. Some weapons shoot behind and others home etc. and you can switch between them at any time. I remapped the buttons from default to make more sense (left and right instead of up and down on the front buttons - playing with pad, not stick). Same for ship speed, which is variable over 5 (?) different settings.

Boss entrances are cool. Bosses themselves are a bit meh (to look at - play-wise, they are pretty much like any other giant full screen boss that shoots stuff ). You seem to get a bonus for killing them quickly (no problem there then), but I'm not sure about that yet. Other than that, shoot more stuff to get higher scores - good for people that can't stand "hooks".

There's some massive slowdown in the middle of some of the action. Apparantly this is deliberate (according to an interview), but I'm thinking if so, why? Weird.

So far, it's an entertaining, but pretty average shooter.
    Last edited by charlesr; 04-11-2008, 14:28.

Forgot to mention. The final boss is pretty cool. I want one.

Comment

Sounds like your at least enjoying it to some extent which is always a good thing. The music you describe sounds worrying though as does the rotating screen. Do you get used to it easily? Sounds like an unnecessary inclusion to me. I have problems with 2.5d things like that in shooters. I had real difficulty playing Einhander because the angles changes at times.

Comment

To clarify, it's only rotating away from being a horizontal towards being a vertial shooter (only by around 20° though). It doesn't require you to fire into the screen a bit.

Sometimes the screen flips around completely though and you travel and fire to your left instead of the usual right. No impact on gameplay here though - it's fairly intuitive.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
          Note that I've not played any of the previous games.
          Whaaaaaaaaaaat !!!!!

Trust me you're missing out on a some real gems there, for me TF3 in particular easilly makes it on to my list of all time favorite shooters .

Comment

I'm enjoying it now, but I can't imagine I'll be playing it more than just enough to do a decent review. For perspective, I loved Border Down and Armalyte and Gradius, so it's not a horiz vs vert thing.

On the plus side, it's not very long, so won't take long to "learn" it.
            Last edited by charlesr; 04-11-2008, 16:45.

Comment

It seems pretty-much like ThunderForce V, only this time with decent-looking polygons. For what its worth, TFV was a game I didn't really like much and I'm not that impressed with this, either. Hard to say why, exactly, since its competent in most areas, but compared with something similar (R-Type Delta), it just doesn't feel very special.

On the plus side, its quite neat that the attract mode shows footage of the previous games in the series. Maybe it'll grow on me but I doubt it...

ThunderForce 6/10

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                I'm enjoying it now, but I can't imagine I'll be playing it more than just enough to do a decent review.
                Can I be first in line for when you sell it then?
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick View Post
                  it just doesn't feel very special.
                  Thank goodness it's not just me
                  I was dreading some severe backlash from shmuppets(Tm)
                  Now at least I know I'm not going mad and picky in my old age

Comment

any scoring hooks in the game ?

Comment

Only thing I've noticed is a score multiplier when you destroy the Bosses and mid-Bosses quickly. X15 is the highest I've managed.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble9 View Post
                        for me TF3 in particular easilly makes it on to my list of all time favorite shooters .
                        Absolutely!

I'm currently playing TF5 on my PSP in readiness for this. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.

Comment

Sounds like a let down. I read the interview with the main dev guy - and he was bigging it up, to a point where I've been excited about it.

My hopes aren't so high anymore- so I'll read some more comments, before I decide to buy it, or not.

Comment

The multiplier also seems to apply to some of the larger level enemies. I think. I'll have to check that. Just a vague memory from yesterday.

What weapons are you using? I'm switching between homing blobs (for stuff behind me) and the lock-on laser (for killing stuff FAST). Anyone know what the weapons are actually called?

Comment

I'm enjoying this. The weapon overdrives seem WAY too powerful on the default difficulty (bosses barely have a chance to appear on screen sometimes) - but great fun.
                              I switch between the 3rd weapon (forward) and the 2nd weapon (backward firing) most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X