Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PlayOnline Viewer problem - please advise

Hello all,

I recently ran a format on my laptop and reinstalled the OS, Windows XP Home (SP3). Once that was done, I reinstalled the Viewer, FFXI, and then the expansions (all of them), last night.

I then tried to run the Viewer so that I could begin the long process of patching everything. However, the Viewer didn't load, and I got the following message:

"PlayOnline Viewer startpol Module has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I've since uninstalled everything, and tonight I've only installed the Viewer, thinking that I can patch that first, before installing the game and expansions. As you might have guessed, the same error message has appeared again.

I never had any problems running the Viewer and the game on the laptop prior to the format and OS reinstallation.

Can anyone advise anything?

Thank you.

P.S. I'll be browsing the net for help too, but I thought here would be a good first port of call.

Hey Van,

Im not too sure on why its not working, I know SE had to make a Vista playonline viewer as the normal one wouldn't work but i've not seen anything about it not working in XP.

If I was having this problem I would check on playonline.com and see if there is a playonline viewer to download, if it came down to it I could maybe zip up the playonline viewer thats on my 2008 edition disc and send it to you, see if that works.

Comment

Hi Wedge,

Regarding the 2008 version, thank you. I'll keep it in mind in case the following doesn't work.

I've done a little looking via Altavista, and I found out that a recent XP patch apparently causes problems with the Viewer. As a result, it's recommended that you temporarily set it to Windows 98 compatibility, and then update it. It should work fine afterwards.

I've made the change, and I've been able to update it, which was further than I got last time. I'm going to try the rest and see what happens.

EDIT 1: OK, I've managed to install the game and all expansions. It seems to be working now, as it's patching. ETC: 5h 52m

EDIT 2: Ok, the game is all installed and patched. Problem solved.

Thanks again for the offer Wedge, it was appreciated.

Maybe I should get a 2008 edition? Since that would contain a massivley more up-to-date version of the game, requiring a lot less patching if I should have to reinstall it again.
      Last edited by Vanicent; 09-11-2008, 00:32. Reason: Problem Solved

Comment

Originally posted by Vanicent View Post
        Hi Wedge,

Regarding the 2008 version, thank you. I'll keep it in mind in case the following doesn't work.

I've done a little looking via Altavista, and I found out that a recent XP patch apparently causes problems with the Viewer. As a result, it's recommended that you temporarily set it to Windows 98 compatibility, and then update it. It should work fine afterwards.

I've made the change, and I've been able to update it, which was further than I got last time. I'm going to try the rest and see what happens.

EDIT 1: OK, I've managed to install the game and all expansions. It seems to be working now, as it's patching. ETC: 5h 52m

EDIT 2: Ok, the game is all installed and patched. Problem solved.

Thanks again for the offer Wedge, it was appreciated.

Maybe I should get a 2008 edition? Since that would contain a massivley more up-to-date version of the game, requiring a lot less patching if I should have to reinstall it again.
        Im not sure how much patching there is on the 2008 edition, I installed the main game from the fileplanet trial which still had about 90 minutes of patching, after then installing the expansions later on from the 2008 disc I then had to patch again but it was only for about 30 minutes, I guess it might save some time but I would just leave it updating overnight or something.

Comment

Ignore
          Last edited by Rep; 15-11-2008, 17:49. Reason: Wrong thread ><

Comment

Working...
          X