MotoGP 08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MotoGP 08

(can't find an existing thread for this, apologies if I've missed it)

I couldn't resist and picked this up yesterday for the 360 as Tesco's have it for 30 pounds which is pretty reasonable to me. I was disappointed with World Superbikes launched a few months ago as the handling seemed odd, the graphics weren't great and the whole interface and design seemed pretty rough.

The first time you run the game it asks you if you want go through a tutorial which I did although it's very hands off - you're racing as Rossi at Mugello (Melandri would make more sense given the amount of times I crashed) but that's it, the game doesn't tell you anything. Instead it flags up an exclamation mark which you can access by hitting start which will show you a tip to avoid what you just did. After three laps it's over and the game will make a recommendation for your settings based on your racing ability, I'd done the first three laps in arcade mode which is the default and the game recommended changing to simulation. I made this change and did the same race again and enjoyed the feel better, I'd say it's still quite arcadey but the controls feel tighter and you've to be more careful with your accelerating and turning. Gun it hard coming out of a corner and the front wheel will rise which has caught me out a few times! Really nice and simple tutorial which is something so many games make a mess of.

Once done with that I decided to go to the challenges section which has around 50 in total with three or so for most of the main riders. These consist of doing a lap in a certain time crossing checkpoints in the old arcade style (ten seconds for each one), beating a certain rider round part of a track, passing checkpoints at a certain speed etc. This is where I've started so far as it's a good way to get to grips with the bikes and the tracks before starting a proper season.

So far I'm really impressed with the game all round as it comes across as very polished and complete unlike MotoGP 06 (didn't play 07) or the Superbike game. The bikes themselves look fantastic and there's lots of attention to detail such as the riders shifting around the bike and the spokes blurring and going backwards as the bikes accelerate. The handling feels very tight and responsive, much more so than 06 and I like the small simulation additions as they make it feel that bit more realistic without getting too frustrating.

Highly recommended if you enjoy MotoGP and looking for your fix now the season is over.

John

Moto GP 2008

Being a hardcore Motorbike game I do feel this release will be overshadowed by the other titles on offer, very much like the last one I brought...

First impressions were disappointing with little polish afforded to the Track Detail, menu screens and the noise of the bikes. After the very polished Moto GP 07 last year the lack of trackside noise, effects and overall polish really does seem apparent in this alliteration.

Although the track detail is only just adequate, the overall quality is good and the detail on the Bikes and Riders is far beyond what has gone before and is brilliant. However the one area Moto GP 08 has sewn up is the Riding which is just as harsh, fun and involving as one would expect it to be. The control and feedback of the Bikes are brilliant and is a drastic improvement over Climax's games and does veer closely to PC Simulation in its dedication needed by the player to master all of its nuances.

It is a hard game to like to the non biker or someone who loves racing for all the crash, bang, wallop afforded by more arcade racers. It's not glitzy, has stunning attention to detail on the bikes but has no polish, poor trackside detail and with no real aids to guide you through the learning process. However if you can forgive the clean look and dedicate some time to riding the bikes it does give you a lot back.

If you're into more Sim driven Driving games I would recommended this although you'll have to forgive a few of its presentational flaws.

Comment

Merged threads. Thanks for the impressions guys.

Comment

I used to really like the first two Xbox versions. They had fantastic visuals for their time.

I remember trying the first 360 edition - and being very underwhelmed.

Graphics are very important to me. I'm not a big fan of bikes - so the game has to be stunning to get my attention.

Is there a demo available?

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by the lack of trackside noise as the crowd cheer you on as you go by the grandstand which I thought was pretty good. I do think the bikes are a little thin sounding but I much prefer the interface to MotoGP which always felt slow and clumsy to me.

Leon - MotoGP 06 was a fairly weak effort especially from a graphics point of view with all the tearing. To be honest this doesn't sound like your type of game, the graphics on the bikes are good but the rest of the environment is average. I'd only buy this game if you've a serious interest in bikes.

John

Comment

Just got this and have to say I'm loving it!
            True to say the presentation isn't mindblowing but the framerate is rock solid and it does look nice.
            Currently doing the career mode in the 125cc class and it's great fun,35 racers on track and all of them are out to win!
            This is the area where the game really shines,the previous contenders in MOTOGP 07 always seemed to become a little disheartened when the overtake was complete but these guys will be back underneath you in the next corner if you don't get it right,this make for some thrilling rides.
            It's not for everyone but if you like a good race get this.
            Last edited by analog dog; 19-12-2008, 09:04.

Comment

Demo up on live now for those that fancty having a go without buying / renting it

Comment

...and down to 19.98 for the 360 on game's website, and 24.98 on the PS3.

(a few bargains to be had. Looks like they are 'soft launching' their sale, as things ending in 98 are usually sale reductions)

Comment

Working...
                X