Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yes. Layer Section on the Saturn is very very good. BUT make sure you play in Arcade mode because in Saturn mode many of the rotation and scaling effects are missing! Very odd! Like BigDeadFreak said, the audio in that game is fantastic. Easily some of the best work of Zuntata. I'm also one of the many that still haven't finished it. I really do think it's hard and far more skill is required to complete it than the likes of Batsugun or DoDonpachi.

By the way, recently I've been playing nothing Retro! Shock I know but with my new recent purchase I'll be retro gaming again very soon.

Yakumo

Comment

Most recently Penguin Adventure (MSX), which was really good. A super-expanded sequel to the impossibly cute but overly simplistic Antarctic Adventure. The hardcore MSX nuts tend to go on and on about this game and in this case I can really see why; I think it could easily have been a major hit had it been converted to the NES/Famicom.

Before that it was Moero TwinBee (Famicom), which wasn't particularly interesting and extremely easy, and before that I played through the first Ganbare Goemon game for the Famicom which was dull, confusing and annoying (but not so bad as to render it unplayable).

I'm currently catching up on Konami titles that I've missed out on in the past... of which there are quite a few, apparently. So there's lots to be done.

Re: GoldenEye - I played it about a year and a half ago, for the first time - I managed to completely avoid it when it was new - and was thoroughly impressed. It might not look particularly great today but it plays very well once you get used to the slightly odd controls. I never did manage to complete that "protect Natalya" bit on 00 Agent difficulty though. I don't know how many times I tried but eventually I just gave up (which is very unusual, since I'm extremely stubborn when it comes to finishing games that I've started on).

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        I really do think it's hard and far more skill is required to complete it than the likes of Batsugun or DoDonpachi.

Yakumo

I wouldn't say it's easy but I certainly find DoDonpachi far harder. Generally speaking I suck at shooters, the thought of being able to 1cc any of them is mind boggling.

Comment

Originally posted by elektronhjarnan View Post
          Re: GoldenEye - I played it about a year and a half ago, for the first time - I managed to completely avoid it when it was new - and was thoroughly impressed. It might not look particularly great today but it plays very well once you get used to the slightly odd controls. I never did manage to complete that "protect Natalya" bit on 00 Agent difficulty though. I don't know how many times I tried but eventually I just gave up (which is very unusual, since I'm extremely stubborn when it comes to finishing games that I've started on).

That game had me hooked for ages and escaping from the prison cell on 00 dificulty is still one of my favourite gaming memories. Some levels seemed impossible though and, like yourself, I never managed the "protect Natalya" level on the harder settings. I always struggled with the cradle level too.
          Mmm... maybe I'm just crap at games.

Comment

Mostly been playing Armed Police Batrider, as someone has kindly lent me their board for a few weeks and a little bit of Guwange.

Comment

Lately I've been playing Alshark for the Mega-CD. 'Tis a cute little RPG but due to the way that your character starts yapping away to other characters whenever he gets close to them, I've somehow managed to save the game with my character being stuck in between a tree and another member of my party. Now I can't move and the only thing I can do now is repeat the same bit of dialogue over and over again.

This major bug, in conjunction with a few assignments for uni being due in next week, has forced me to put the game down for a bit but I've noticed that there's a walkthrough over at GameFAQs so I will probably being giving it another whirl in a week or so.

Comment

I've been playing these...

New Zealand Story

Still as vibrant, cute, and downright fun.. as it was the first time I played it in 1990.

F-Zero

Once I start playing this - I can't stop. It's the hypnotic neon visuals - and catchy music.. that keeps me enthralled.

Now.. I feel like playing Mario Kart on my snes.

Comment

Just - finally - managed to do Aztec on 00 Agent; that level is a complete b****.

The men are all super-accurate from ridiculous distances; just far enough away that it's difficult to tell when you've hit them. I think the thing which made me fail most often was simply the frustration and rage. You really wanted to kill the bastards after they hit you for the nth time.

After playing through a good 40 times I managed to hone my skills on every little bit until I had the right combination of behaviours. Had zero health at the end, but thankfully no one did anything unreasonable.

That is quite possibly the most difficult thing I have ever done in a game. I'm still shaking! It's lucky Egypt is such a joke on 00 Agent, otherwise I might be headed for a nervous breakdown.

On an unrelated note: Leon, how can you bare to play NZS? It's both evil and ridiculously long. I could only ever get anywhere on the game by putting in the legendary "fluffy" cheat. I think it would be OK if it wasn't for the bosses. What format you playing on?
                  Last edited by egparadigm; 09-12-2008, 22:47.

Comment

Aztec on 00 Agent is definitely the hardest level in the game, you can be proud!

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
                      On an unrelated note: Leon, how can you bare to play NZS? It's both evil and ridiculously long. I could only ever get anywhere on the game by putting in the legendary "fluffy" cheat. I think it would be OK if it wasn't for the bosses. What format you playing on?
                      The enemies are evil - but.. it is a very nice game to play. I'm playing it on mame - so infinite credits for me

Comment

Hooked up the ol' N64 in preparation for a 10th anniversary Ocarina of Time playthrough and revisited GoldenEye over the last few days. I'm surprised how well it holds up. I remember trying it a few years back and it was unplayable, but now, weirdly, it isn't any more.

Like everyone, I put a ridiculous number of hours into it back in the day. Completing every level on every difficulty and getting all the cheats is probably my greatest gaming achievement. I still remember every little detail about this game, and know where all the guards are placed. Then there's stuff like the scientist with the secret keycard in the Facility, or the box of boxes containing double AR34s in the Water Caverns. GoldenEye really was packed with stuff. Just don't see that sort of thing any more. Think I'll move onto Perfect Dark after I'm done with it.

Comment

Fair play on the Aztec, I remember me and mate doing the levels on 00 all those years ago. Getting ragged senseless by those lasers while climbing up that massive ladder was blood boiling.

Comment

i remember clocking 00 agent back in the day, it was a nightmare but well worth it in the end. great memories!

Comment

I've just finished playing this...

What an excellent game. The visuals are really vibrant, colourful, with a detailed style. The action is swift - and very exciting. Not forgetting.. the funny bosses and their speech; " Bury me with my money! "

I have this on the snes, which is an excellent conversion, but.. I played it through mame today.

Comment

But what is it called, man!?

Comment

Working...
                                X