Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Sunset Riders. Fun game, but it gets REALLY tough after a few levels. Quite a challenge to 1CC, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
      But what is it called, man!?
      Sorry about that. I must have assumed that people would know it. It wasn't a big name title, though.

It's such a fun game - give it a go.

Originally posted by elektronhjarnan View Post
      It's Sunset Riders. Fun game, but it gets REALLY tough after a few levels. Quite a challenge to 1CC, I think.
      1CC ... With mame - I just have fun, no thoughts about credits.

Comment

That doesn't work for me, I can't have any fun if I'm just credit feeding the game... It's one thing if there are limited continues or the game uses restart points, but otherwise I just get bored and the game becomes pointless. That goes for MAME as well as for home conversions (that feature unlimited credits) where you get to carry on right where you died.

I'm trying to make my through Wonder Boy (via MAME) at the moment. The game does have restart points, so I have no qualms about using the continue function vigorously - but you don't get to continue at all in the last four stages. Which means about an hour of play to get there, after which I usually lose all my lives in a minute or two. I'm fairly close to giving it up but I'll give it a few more shots to see if I can get any better. As long as there is a little progress now and then, it still feels meaningful, even if I just get one screen farther than at the last attempt.

Comment

That doesn't work for me,
          Mame does make things easy, but.. these days that's a nice option to have, because I haven't got the same concentration or desire to be great, that I used to have years ago.

I really enjoy the experience of a game. The journey through, taking in the sights, and enjoying what is happening. That's why I can play F-Zero for hours, and not think about my times. I just don't get much pleasure from single-player achievements these days.

It's a different story with multi-player, because that is a case of having to fully concentrate, and getting a genuine thrill from beating someone.

I was playing Parodius the other day - and not really taking it seriously, but.. as always, I enjoyed the atmosphere of the game, because it's soo feel good.

I can understand how some people can only get a thrill from a challenge - and achieving an impressive feat, but.. that's not what I focus on now.

It doesn't mean I don't love games with a passion. It's just a case of playing for the sheer fun of the experience.

Comment

I find the idea of using MAME "just for fun" like Leon does quite appealing. I hate the way some games make you play for hours just to get into a position where you can, say, fight the final boss.

Trouble with emulators is that you have so many games to choose from, especially if you're not a law-abiding citizen (I am, these days).

I use a Mac for my computer these days and I packed my Xbox away, but I'm tempted!

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
              Mame does make things easy, but.. these days that's a nice option to have, because I haven't got the same concentration or desire to be great, that I used to have years ago.
              It's the other way around for me. I never used to care much about scoring in shoot-'em-ups, for instance, but now I do. And i never really understood the appeal of truly old-skool arcade games where scoring is the only goal until fairly recently (with certain exceptions, like Tetris).

I grew up with home computers, so I always had more (pirated) games to play than I could possibly find the time for. My solution is simple - pick a game, any game, according to your method of choice, and stick with it until it's completed (or "sufficiently mastered", for those endless old school titles, which is admittedly a bit vague). It works wonders for me; I can get a lot of enjoyment out of even fairly crappy games this way.

Comment

Sunset Riders taught me how to say Konami...For some reason I used to say Konomi (don't know why) before I saw this in the arcades and heard it spoken.

True Story

I've just finished Banjo Kazooie. Loved it all over again, it really is an awesome game! I want N&B just so I can collect the Stop and Swap goodies in this.

Comment

Just been playing BK on N64. Somehow it doesn't quite have the same 'hook' as SM64, but it's still good fun. Found the 'easy' levels like the swamp and the first one most fun so far. The music in the game is FANTASTIC. I still remember that seasonal forest level fondly for its music - looking forward to unlocking it.

Quite like the characters and dialogue - a natural progression from DKC.

Comment

It's the other way around for me. I never used to care much about scoring in shoot-'em-ups, for instance, but now I do. And i never really understood the appeal of truly old-skool arcade games where scoring is the only goal until fairly recently (with certain exceptions, like Tetris).

I grew up with home computers, so I always had more (pirated) games to play than I could possibly find the time for. My solution is simple - pick a game, any game, according to your method of choice, and stick with it until it's completed (or "sufficiently mastered", for those endless old school titles, which is admittedly a bit vague). It works wonders for me; I can get a lot of enjoyment out of even fairly crappy games this way.
                    I used to really master games - to a point where I amazed people, but.. those days are now way behind me( adult life )

I still love the challenge of multi-player. I've been playing a lot of Mario Kart Wii with my mates - and that really delivers hours and hours of competition.

I see pro-gaming - and it's mostly teens competing. I think they don't have the responsibilities, or worries of adults, so they.. can put more energy and time into getting good at games.

I've always been someone who enjoys the overall experience of a game - over the challenge. Going through games like Goemon is full of wonder - and excitement, even if i'm not aiming to be the best at them,

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
                    Sunset Riders taught me how to say Konami...For some reason I used to say Konomi (don't know why) before I saw this in the arcades and heard it spoken.

True Story

I've just finished Banjo Kazooie. Loved it all over again, it really is an awesome game! I want N&B just so I can collect the Stop and Swap goodies in this.
                    I used to say "Konomi" ... and I haven't got a clue why? .... I guess someone on tv pronounced it that way, and I was just a kid who didn't think about it.

I used to pronounce Taito - as "Tyto" ... Now I say "Tayto" ....

I've heard some Americans say "Sega" ... in strange ways. We need a book on this sort of thing.

Banjo & Kazooie is a classic. I remember being very impressed with it back in the day. I've never played the sequel though. I was in to the Dreamcast by the time it arrived.

Comment

You should try Cowboys of Moo Mesa, it's fun as well (Still Konami,still Cowboys

Comment

I have played (and finished some) the following retro titles so far this week.

Sonic the Hedgehog
                        Gain Ground
                        Super Thunder Blade
                        Dynamite Headdy
                        Alex Kidd
                        Fatal Labyrinth
                        Flicky
                        Ecco the Dolphin

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                          I used to pronounce Taito - as "Tyto" ... Now I say "Tayto" ....
                          I still say "Tyto". I've got no clue how you managed to pronounce Konami the way you both did.

"I-co" still seems more natural to me, but I think I've got it straight now.

ezee, have you played Ristar? That's some good **** right there.

Comment

I had a choice of playing that but I passed, might give that a go tomorrow.

Comment

Isn't "tyto" the correct way to say it? I used to say "tayto" funnily enough then changed to what I believed was the correct way being "tyto".

Comment

It is indeed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpcegDx5EBA

I think it's actually "tah-ih-toh", if you want to get really picky, but "tyto" is a better approximation than "tayto" anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X