No announcement yet.

Black Mesa: Source (trailer released)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That does look awesome. I might even install Windows on my Mac for that. Be nice to get a XBLA release though.
    Surely Valve will buy that team up and use them for future games.

Comment

Yeah fingers crossed Valve will pick this up and we'll see a console release. It would be great if when Episode 3 is released they follow up to the Orange box with the full series, from start to end.

Comment

I have to wonder how they would be able to pick it up though... at least in terms of selling it, I mean. There are numerous people who have worked on or contributed to this project over the years, and have since left the development team for whatever reason. Working out how to ensure everyone gets a fair cut of any sales proceeds without causing any upset could be a total nightmare.

Comment

Probably the same way as they picked up every other mod they've released I guess. I'm sure there will have been people that worked on Counter Strike early on that left before Valve picked it up. The difference here is this is a remake of an existing product, so can the original people that worked on this take credit for basically copying someone elses work?

Comment

I don't know the methods Valve use during acquisition, but I'd hazard a guess that CS had a considerably shorter development time/smaller dev team, so it would have been easier to come to an arrangement. As I said, this is just a guess though.

On the subject of it basically being a copy of someone else's work... well yes of course to a large degree, but that doesn't detract from the amount of work and effort involved in making this. Valve certainly didn't have the balls to attempt it (indeed, they were quite content to just release HL:Source with minimal changes to the original game), so I do feel that credit is due to these guys.

Anyway, let's see what happens
            Last edited by Hohum; 02-12-2008, 23:10.

Comment

Using the Source tools, there's bound to be a licensing agreement in there that says, basically, your work is actually theres. I'm not saying Valve would screw anyone over, but legally they'll have things covered. They could easily prevent the mod being released if they wished, but they're a cool company.

I'm sure it will get licensed.

Comment

wow, it looks quite good doesn't it I only played through HL1 once, it was awesome but immense in length. would be good to have an excuse to replay it too

Comment

This is on the verge of release methinks, looking awesome!

There's loads of new screenshots going around here's 100:
                  Part 1
                  Part 2
                  Part 3

Comment

Excellent, its about time this got a release. ^^

Comment

A social media campaign has begun which the devs say will end with the updates release

Comment

Finally. I've seen a few of the updates they've posted (testing weapons etc...) and what they've shown looks really good. Can't wait!

Comment

The Half-Life remake mod Black Mesa really is coming, and now a leaked video confirmed as real has surfaced with a peek at its jazzed-up 'On a Rail' chapter. You know, that frightful section with the tedious trains then glorious rocket launch.

Gameplay trailer has leaked.

Comment

Pulled :-(

Comment

Skip to 3:05 to see the footage, still looks good

Comment

Dated!

Black Mesa coming September 14

You thought the day would never come, and it still hasn't quite yet, but Black Mesa now has a release date. After eight years of development, the fan remake of Half-Life in the Source engine will be released on September 14. Except it won't be quite complete; the team is still working on expanding HL's reviled Xen section and plans to release it later.

Come September 14, we should--in theory, if they really mean it this time--be able to return to the Black Mesa complex, project lead 'cman2k' announced on the mod's forum. The mod recreates Valve's classic FPS with all the polygons, shaders, particles, and gratuitous physics objects we expect from the Source Engine.

It's not an exact remake, mind. The team is adding extra touches like new lines of dialogue, while Xen will be far from the unpleasant little ending section we all know and hate when it arrives.

"Xen is going to basically be a complete game in its own right, it's not going to be just an epilogue to the game; more of a whole new chapter," lead developer 'Raminator' explained. "It'll be pretty well expanded." Work on Xen is already underway and the team hopes to finish it "in a reasonable timeframe," so hopefully we won't need to wait until the year 2020.

cman2k added, "We believe this is a great way to provide a complete-feeling 8-10 hour experience with a solid ending, make our fans happy and help us make the best overall game possible."

The soundtrack is now available for your listening and purchasing pleasure.
                                You thought the day would never come, and it still hasn't just yet, but Black Mesa now has a release date. After eight years of development, the fan remake of Half-Life in the Source engine will be released on September 14. Except it won't be quite complete; the team is working on expanding HL's reviled Xen section and plans to release it later.

Sounds like they'll be giving the Xen part of the game a complete overhaul; which lets be honest, is the weakest part of the original Half Life.
                                Last edited by Kit; 03-09-2012, 17:19.

Comment

Working...
                                X