Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (English PS2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (English PS2)

I get the feeling there's not much Kingdom Hearts love round here, but I love the series I'm afraid, the big kid in me I guess. Anyway, took SquareEnix long enough to get an English version of this out... then they sneak it out the door with bearly any hype. You'd think they'd promote something like this a bit more.

Anyway, this is basically the GBA game, recreated in full proper 3D using the Kingdom Hearts II engine. They've done a pretty cracking job too, it looks and plays just like any other Kingdom Hearts game, battle system aside. I actually found the battle system quite annoying on the GBA (though conceptually a nice idea). I'm finding it easier going this time round though, even though not much has changed.

Anyone who loved the PS2 games but skipped the GBA one should give this a go. I actually consider it kinda essential to have played the GBA game before Kingdom Hearts 2 because you get to know who Organisation 13 and Namine are, and why you should care about them (Namine in particular, from an emotive level). If you've not played it, good time to. For anyone who loved the GBA one, this is a nice revisit, and it's great to have everything looking how it should.

I love KH. More down to Nomura-sans' character design than anything else. In all honesty, I detest Disney but KH just works.

Anyway, this is a Chrimbo pressy for Mrs Teddy so I'm glad it appears to be pretty good.

Kudos to VGP too. Run up to Xmas, ordered this the day it launched and it shipped within hours. Only took 3 days to get here to!

Comment

It's really nice. Nothing grounbreaking mind - it was originally a bonus disc with Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ after all, but it's exactly what you would imagine a PS2 remake of Chain of Memories would be like.

It's rather pointless for anyone who's not already a Kingdom Hearts nut, and the problem with this being released after Kingdom Hearts II is that it chronologically occurs between the 1st and 2nd game (which is when the GBA game was released), giving a bit of backstory about Organisation XIII and Namine, as a prelude to Kingdom Hearts II. So... it's a bit late for people who didn't play the GBA version before.

But in terms of the game, there's little fault. No suprises, but nothing to complain about. As a fan though, it's a winner for me.

Comment

Sweet. Mrs Teddy has done the PS2 & GBA games (which amazed me as normally she's useless with the more "real-time" combat aspects of games) so I guess she will enjoy this.

She know's of it's existence in the Final Mix+ Jap PS2 release but we didn't buy it out in Tokyo as it was pretty expensive and wouldn't have been understood. Glad that Sqeenix have decided to release it as a stand-alone product in the US.

Should be a nice surprise for her as I don't think she knows it has been released. Good timing too as he finished Lost Odyssey last night and was wondering what to play next - maybe I'll suggest she play through KH1 to refresh her memory before she gets this.

Brownie points for me
        Last edited by teddymeow; 17-12-2008, 12:43. Reason: Speeling errorz

Comment

Didn't even know this was slated for release, just playign through Kingdom Hearts 2 right now and am a big fan, looking forward to checking this out. Any ideas where the best price might be for a U.S copy?
          Last edited by Escape-To-88; 19-12-2008, 20:12.
          3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

^Got mine from VG+ for ?17.80-ish + ?3.00 for shipping. Not too shabby I guess.

Despite being a "budget" release it feels pretty meaty as a package. The combination of Sony still using decent cases for PS2 games in the states, the thicker paper used for the inserts and the thicker shrink-wrapping that we get makes it feel more expensive than it is.

Or maybe I'm just going mad.

Comment

Sounds fair enough think I shall invest in a copy,the thick paper won me over is it a totally separate game to the original i.e. simply the GBA game in 3D. or does it incorporate elements from the first title?
              3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

It's the GBA game, remade lock-stock using the KH2 engine. No more, no less. I mean that in a good way though I was always more of a fan of the 'normal' KH combat, but I did manage to work my card desk so it was very much like playing a normal KH game.

Comment

I wasnt the biggest KH fan. Loved the locations of the original but the control was pretty poor. Back then square were never the best at any games with an type of physics. The first was an average game with great ideas and design.

Havent tried the second yet. Still need to buy it but defo will. Despite my negative comments i did enjoy KH to some degree.

Comment

Working...
                  X