Cloudphobia (PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloudphobia (PC)

I wouldn't be surprised if absolutely none of you have heard of this.

Found a thread on this game on the Shmups forums and decided i'd give the trial a go. It was absolutely brilliant and straight away I paid to download the full game.

It's an amateur PC shmup that will cost you around £11 to buy, and there is a 2 level trial on the website so you can give it a go and see if you enjoy.

There isn't much in the way of content in the full thing, with only 2 ships and 5 levels to complete, each with a 3 minute timer. It's incredibly short, but that's not the reason why you'd play it. No no no you'd play it for the internet rankings and for score, that's why you'd play it.

So if you like your shmups lengthy, avoid. If you're happy with caravan shmups and want to squeeze as much of a score out as possible, you'll love this.

Anyway, onto the system!

The two ships (mecha?) are very different. One has your normal straight forward type shooting weapon while the other has a 'vibroblade' and can only attack in close combat. It's a good thing it's an extremely damaging weapon then!

You have two health bars. Your own, and your Mothership's. Your mothership health bar goes down whenever an enemy disappears off the screen. Your game will end if this one goes down, even if yours doesn't.

There is a hit counter that keeps track of the amount of enemies killed. This is a general score multiplier in itself, when it comes to...

Commander Bonuses. Certain enemies are red instead of their normal colour. Killing one of these will give you a big score bonus, multiplied by whatever your hit counter is.

You are given 8 missiles to use. Using one of these will launch a barrage at your enemies, and will give you a multiplier up to 16x depending on how many of them hit. Using a missile to kill a commander, will double your commander bonus.

Now here's the big thing... You have a boost button, which will drastically increase the speed of movement, aswell as the enemies. If you do NOT use this boost button, the 3 minute timer will run out before you can meet and destroy the boss, which means you'll need to use your boost as much as you can throughout the level, stopping when there are too many enemies on the screen before going into boost again.

It's very, very difficult, but having managed to complete the first 3 levels (and somehow place 2nd on the internet ranking for the third level!), I can also say it's incredibly good fun and you should at least give the trial a go.

Also done a second level run, but the quality it comes out embedding it is awful, so here's a high quality link if you want to see the second.
    Last edited by Silvergun X; 16-12-2008, 22:47.

Thanks for the impressions, and you're right, I'd not heard of it. Will give it a whirl tonight. You got a link for the high score page ? couldn't see anything on your link above - or are you talking about someone running a thread on shmups.com ?

Ta.

Comment

Thanks for the hook up Silvergun!

Grabbed the trial and really enjoyed it.

Are you using a controller for it? I wasn't really feeling the keyboard. Do you know if a 360 arcade stick will work with it?

Comment

360 arcade stick works perfectly. I was using my Otomedius Gorgeous hyper stick pro to play it.

The Internet rankings are in-game, you put your name in on first play and if you place the top 100, it automatically uploads your score and replay.

Rivuzu just managed to get number 1 on the scoreboards for stage 3, bastard!

Comment

Working...
        X