Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How old does a car have to be to avoid paying road tax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How old does a car have to be to avoid paying road tax?

Hi all,

I recently brought a car, it's from 1981 (old W reg) so its about 27/28 years old but I was wondering how old does a car have to be for you not to pay road tax - I always thought it was 25 years and over? - any ideas?

Thanking you in advance.

Originally posted by howlin-murdock View Post
    Hi all,

I recently brought a car, it's from 1981 (old W reg) so its about 27/28 years old but I was wondering how old does a car have to be for you not to pay road tax - I always thought it was 25 years and over? - any ideas?

Thanking you in advance.
    I'm on the Wii so I can't paste the info, but it tells you on www.directgov.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Stroppy View Post
      I'm on the Wii so I can't paste the info, but it tells you on www.directgov.co.uk
      Maybe its just me or the late hour or BOTH but I can't see where the info is.

Comment

It is found under the "historic vehicles" section. If i remember correctly the current goverment abolished the 25 year rule, so now only cars build before 1973.
        Types of vehicle that are free to tax (exempt), including vehicles used by disabled people, mobility scooters, and historic vehicles

Comment

I believe thats correct, my folks have owned a couple cars over 50yrs old though so I'm not one to go by

Comment

Slightly on topic, i have a 1976 Vespa Rally, and an 06 Ducati 749s. The quotes on the Ducati started at £3000 all the way up to £9999 (yer right! - sure they pluck these figures from their arse).

My insurance company told me to join the Vintage Motorcycle Club (£28 p/a), and for every old bike you insure you can put new ones on it's policy, unlimited mileage on them all.

The price, £380, fully comp, european breakdown etc...

Edit - I was born in 74, does that mean i'm vintage?

Comment

Damn that reminds me, mine runs out today!

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
              X