Resident Evil 2 [Feb]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resident Evil 2 [Feb]

Everyone ready to enter the world of survival horror?

I had been playing this a fair bit on PS3 (PS1 disc) a few months ago but the save went and corrupted on me and it froze when it got to the word "horror" when loading up. Plus I tend to save only every now and again in RE games when I've completed them before and am not having too much difficulty so I was forced to leave my game saved at just before going down into the labs to my save game about 10 minutes into the RPD police station!!!

The good news is I booted it up the other day and its no longer corrupt or whatever, I got my save back and am not far off the finish of Claire B shall be replaying it as Claire A, Leon B afterwards too

It's been a while since I've played this.

Comment

I remember one time, I completed all 4 scenarios back-to-back with A ranks (or was it S? Whichever was the highest). It's an awesome game that I still enjoy.

Comment

Does the pal cube version support 60hz?

Comment

No it doesn't. Although, if you have a Freeloader disc and boot the PAL game, it automatically forces itself into 60Hz, bizzarely.

Talking about the different versions, I always felt the Dreamcast version was the best version overall. It got critisised on release because the resolution was bumped up to 640x480, but that meant the characters stood out even more from the background. I didn't mind that, and the additional features from the PC version, coupled with the fact that it was the only version of the game to feature high quality, full screen versions of the FMV cutscenes*, made it a winner in my book.

The GameCube one is good, graphically pretty much the same as the Dreamcast, though feature-wise it's the same as the PS version, and the same PS FMV cutscenes.

*There was a rumour that the 2007 Japanese PC re-port of Resident Evil 2 featured these enhanced quality cutscenes - I own the re-port, and I can tell you that's nonsense.
          Last edited by sj33; 02-02-2009, 01:20.

Comment

Cheers Jake so it should be ok on my us cube with the freeloader, saw the cube version in the local gagstation on the cheep a few days ago.

Comment

If there is any game in need of a REmake this is it. The best along with CV in the RE series. Amazing game.

Comment

I'll be playing this and all the other Resident Evil games in the weeks leading up to the release of Resident Evil 5

Comment

Sweet! 2 was always my favourite of the old skool Resi games. I was so disappointed when Capcom didn't REmake it for the Cube.

That would have been amazing!

Comment

I could never release everything when I did the PS1 version many years ago now. Isn't RE2 the one where there's some additional playable character you can get by completing the game with minmal saves/health in under two and a half hours? Have to check Gamefaqs for that I guess.

I'm not a big fan of RE after RE2 - I didn't like RE3 at all and CV on the DC, felt to me to be repeating everything RE had done before just in a bigger but no better package. Horrible instant respawning and steep initial difficulty curve too,

My enjoyment of the series was restored by the exceptionally good REMake on the GC though.

Comment

I'm suprised you didn't like Code Veronica, it definately had the best creepy/horror atmosphere after REmake, and was a return to form for peopel who didn't like RE2/3. Granted it was a hard game all the way through, but no harder than REmake.

Indeed I can understand people not liking RE3 given it's action stance (there's a slight irony there huh?), though I love all the old Resi games even now.

Comment

Ill be up for this!

But which version to play.............. I have this on the DC, GC, N64........... at a push i could borrow my cuz's version on the PSX or dig out a dodgy one on the PC from my brother........

Ill go with the majority, which platform is everyone playing on? And what style of play is everyone going to do it? Bit anal i know but will make discussions more in depth i guess.

By Style i mean -

- are you blitzing through it to get it done?
                        - are you playing through with a guide so you don't miss out on anything?
                        - are you playing through it by memory and how you previously played it?
                        - are you puttin it on from an old save to have a quick bash and then lose interest?

Having said all this, i have a feewing we will all jus try and bash through it as quick as poss, relive some good ole nostalgia, then play something else, cos there is a shed load of great games out at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
                          And what style of play is everyone going to do it?
                          No saves, no first aid sprays, knife only.

Comment

I'd be up for it, but WTF you can't run and shoot?!

Oh and "Clunky".

Comment

Originally posted by jimmbob View Post
                              I'd be up for it, but WTF you can't run and shoot?!

Oh and "Clunky".
                              That's right, none of this nonsense 'strafing' and 'run-and-gunning' of newer games!

In fact, RE2 didn't even have 180 degree turn.

Comment

Working...
                              X