No announcement yet.

Halo Wars Demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day one for me. Absolutely love the demo after spending around 3 hours with it total. Just had a skirmish which went on for an hour before i wiped them out, Scarab ftw!11! I love the upgrades/unit types on this game.

Comment

Yeah, I liked the way the game had a kind of warm familiarity to it. I've only really played Halo 3, but on this demo it put a smile on my face to hear the same sound effects and see the old warthogs bounce around.

Plus the controls are superbly streamlined.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisField View Post
        The thing finally downloaded for me (took ages) and I quite enjoyed it. I'm not a big RTS fan, but I like what they're trying to do with the genre with this. However, it doesn't seem particularly special tbh. I think I'm done with the Halo thing for now, so I was
        The demo didn't give me enough reason to want to play it over a game like Red Alert 3 , it didn't seem to have enough meat to it, but it certainly felt like they had gone to lots of effort to make the genre alot more accesible. I liked the base building part of it and the total lack of resource management.

To be honest, the main reason I'm buying it is for the Halo maps. I can live without the game at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
          The demo didn't give me enough reason to want to play it over a game like Red Alert 3 , it didn't seem to have enough meat to it
          More meat?

Are you talking about Gemma Atkinson's quarter-pounders there?

Comment

I thought it was ok, it looks nice with some lovely special effects but i just don't think it has the depth. I was planning to get it but after a few plays i've decided to go for DoW2 instead.

Comment

How many demos give you that much play time? If you play everything to the full, (tutorial 1 &2, mission 1 &2, skirmish as covenant and UNSC) there's probably close to about 3/3 and a half hours play in this demo. Considering most demos give you about 15 minutes, it's damn good imo.

The different leaders have different abilities/ building options too, which should keep things quite fresh as there's 6 of them.

So I'm not feeling a "lack of depth" from the demo.

Comment

Unit abilities are in just about every RTS game going, the lack of depth imo comes from the lack of tactics required. It seems to me like a simple who can build the biggest army fastest game, which is probably because it's been made specifically for the Xbox.

Compared to PC games like Dawn of War and Company of Heroes which require real tactics and the ability to manage a fight over mulitple areas to control the map then HW really is shallow.

Thats fine if your not really a big RTS fan, but people who are will likely find HW pretty boring.

Comment

this available to silver subscribers yet?

Comment

I like the music on the title screen.
                    Very soft and relaxing, the calm before the storm.

I got ragged on skirmish last night, they sent in one of those four legged things and it shot my base to hell.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                      this available to silver subscribers yet?
                      Not yet, give it a week or two.

Comment

The A.I in the demo is pretty poor, Playing a skirmish on hard is very easy and anything lower is just lauaghable when you keep being told that despite your huge army your oppent still hasent decided to create a single unit so you can basicaly just storm there base and destroy them in about a minute.

The missions seems ok, but I only usualy play skirmish games in RTS' if I'm honest.

Dosent seem like a purchase at the moment unless you are planing to play online alot, but even then the somewhat limited control mechanics may hinder people looking to play with deeper tactics than ones required to beat the A.I.

Comment

Will it be possible to have more than 30 units in the final game? Or will that be the cut of point, before frame rate takes a hit.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                            The A.I in the demo is pretty poor, Playing a skirmish on hard is very easy and anything lower is just lauaghable when you keep being told that despite your huge army your oppent still hasent decided to create a single unit so you can basicaly just storm there base and destroy them in about a minute.

The missions seems ok, but I only usualy play skirmish games in RTS' if I'm honest.

Dosent seem like a purchase at the moment unless you are planing to play online alot, but even then the somewhat limited control mechanics may hinder people looking to play with deeper tactics than ones required to beat the A.I.
                            Try going against the UNSC guy instead of the Covernant.

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
                              Not yet, give it a week or two.
                              I'm currently a silver sub and I've got it downloaded.

You might not find it easily though, you need to look for the game in the marketplace list.

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
                                Will it be possible to have more than 30 units in the final game? Or will that be the cut of point, before frame rate takes a hit.
                                In the demo, there's something to research (is it in the military tech centre?? - i can't remember) that ups it to 40 units. I don't know if there's an upgrade after that.

Comment

Working...
                                X