Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long do three points last on your licence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long do three points last on your licence?

Hi all,

Anybody know how long 3 points last on your licence? I've heard it's 3 years? or is it 5 years?

Also once your period is up, do you need to ring up the an agency to remove them or do they just get taken off?

Thanking everyone in advance.

It's three years from the date of conviction and/or the date you agreed to a Fixed Penalty if it's a speeding offence (i.e. when you get a letter after a GATSO snaps you). BUT, they must stay on your license for a further 12 months, so it's basically four years. I think they just can't count them towards losing your license after the three years is up.

If the points are for something more serious like driving without due care or dangerous driving I think they can stay on there longer.

Comment

How soon do they get in touch with you aswell? I think i may have been caught by a cop with a handheld speed gun recently but i haven't heard anything yet...

Comment

Think they have to get in touch fairly quicky, 14 days? Wiki should tell you. I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by BeyondJumpFish View Post
          How soon do they get in touch with you aswell? I think i may have been caught by a cop with a handheld speed gun recently but i haven't heard anything yet...
          If you don't receive a NIP (notice of intended prosecution) within 14 days then you've got away with it. Points only count towards a ban for 3 years, but inusrance companies like to know all points in the last 5 years.

Comment

The duration for points remaining on your licence was upped to 5 years a wee while back.

Comment

Working...
            X