Street Fighter IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Street Fighter IV

Can`t see this yet so here goes. Only had a little go and don`t currently have an Arcade stick. Already you can see it has a lot over the Arcade version. With moving animations for ending movies and more interaction with rival characters, along with the extra characters makes it a decent buy. In Japan we got a free animation movie disc without the version me or my mate bought being limited 360 and PS3 versions! The game in my opinion looks better in HD than in the Arcade. I am not a massively deep SF player so I can`t say so much about it gameplay wise, and I`m sure many people on here already know the way it plays. I`m gonna play more soon maybe not tonight prob tmrw if I get chance.

I`m sure someone else can add more impressions. The new characters Dan etc need to be unlocked which may be a bit of a ball ache as my mate informs me it is a lot harder in Arcade mode even on easy than the Arcade machine. Seth is apparently a bit cheap which is not good to hear as I found him rather easy on the Arcade. The training is very good and good for practicing not had chance to try online yet will give more details later. Sorry for only glossing over the surface, there are more modes but not investigated yet. Plus game seems region free 360 version displays in English too I`m sure people already know this though.

Update

Not tried Challenge mode but I am guessin this is like in the Arcade game where you earn points for doing tasks like throw opponent 35 times etc. Played Arcade mode it is good animation intros and endings are excellent I was C.Viper, but Seth is very very cheap even on the easiest mode he was annoying as... Unlocked Cammy and can now use her online. Played about 10 matches online no lag at all. I hosted most games as my net is fastish I think (Some peeps had no signal too, still no lag only a slight pause at the start of one match when I played someone who was Blanka). The people I played were very average nowhere near the standard I play in Japan I am still rubbish though . I got beat a lot not hammered as in Japan though.

The pad is good but specials especially ultras are hard to pull off compared with a stick even if you set one button to all punch or kick. Most people were picking random type characters online, in Japan the most poular characters seem to be Sagat, Zangief, Ryu, Ken, Gouki (Akuma) and M.Bison (Balrog). People used Chun Li, Rufus etc at first not anymore from what I see in my local Arcade and when I`m in Tokyo.

You can picked ranked matches online or player match or create a match, quick match etc. You can also choose a picture and some text you earn from beating the game in Arcade mode. Mine says Wind,Tree,Water,Moutain I think many cool ones with Kanji I cannot read though . Some funny pictures too of Dan etc. Loading is quick online and in game, waiting only a few seconds till your playing (I don`T have HD install on). Hope that helps not sure if I can add more any questions I`ll try my best to answer them.
    Last edited by JU!; 12-02-2009, 16:35.

Am really thinking about picking this up. Hate fighting games, but the hype for this is pulling me in. How would you say it is for someone who isnt much into fighters? Is it fun enough? And is the online play any good?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuber001 View Post
      Am really thinking about picking this up. Hate fighting games, but the hype for this is pulling me in. How would you say it is for someone who isnt much into fighters? Is it fun enough? And is the online play any good?
      Not a fan of beat em ups but this game really has my interest, it just reminds me of the SNES days with a super coat of paint

Looks very user friendly which is part of the reason why i got put off most beat em ups, they seemed very tough to break through the pain barrier.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuber001 View Post
        Best game for you beat em up wise, simple to play like all the Street Fighters. But deep as hell if you need/want it to be. It is good fun to play even when I get hammered in the Arcades it is still fun. Online info coming...

Comment

Originally posted by JU! View Post
          Best game for you beat em up wise, simple to play like all the Street Fighters. But deep as hell if you need/want it to be. It is good fun to play even when I get hammered in the Arcades it is still fun. Online info coming...
          Awesome. Thanks for that mate! SOLD! Definete purchase for me now.

Comment

Being that i already played it in the arcades. I'm wondering if there will be 2 more revisions like the Alpha or SF3 series.

Comment

Tidied up all of the shipment talk (Not to mention the talk of 360 modding). Can we stay on topic for this please, I'm sure many people want to hear people impressions of the game rather than anything else, I know I do.

Any talk of orders/shipments etc. should stay in the Headlines thread or the Shipping thread in this forum.
              Last edited by charlesr; 13-02-2009, 16:47. Reason: typo

Comment

I've been canning this for the past couple of days (splashed out on a pricey ebay version (360)).

The game feels very SF2 when you first begin and can be played that way if you so wish (I'm sure part of the design). However there are definitely a few tricks in there to get it playing different. Still getting used to the focus attack, I'm still very much a rabbit in the headlights with it but I've seen the AI pull of some crazy sh!t.

My concerns on the movement, jump etc. are totally unfounded when you're play - it feels great. Not as fast as Super Turbo but when you're performing some crazy stuff you;ve got to be fast as so you don't see the speed as an issue.

All console characters and bosses are locked at the start and have to be unlocked via playing through the arcade mode (you can quicken the process by setting the game to the easiest difficulty, 1 round) but it still takes a good few hours to get everyone on.

Not enjoying the AI, seems painfully cheap only really countering what you do, which is annoying as hell. Luckily the easiest diffuculty gives you little problems.

A lovely feature is Arcade Request mode where you can advertise yourself online wanting to play but you still play through the arcade mode. This allows you to play the game while waiting for someone to join in with an online game, when they leave you simply go back to arcade. Really neat feature so you're not sitting waiting in a room waiting.

Game has a Challenge mode which consists of specific TT, Survival and move/combo challenges (called trail), both normal and hard sets. Mainly been focusing on the trail stuff, there is some cool sh!t in there and some of the hard challenges are rock hard!

EG. Ryu - Jumping heavy kick, crouching mid punch, crounching heavy punch, EX Spin kick, ex Dragon punch, ex focus cancel, ultra

Grapahical, georgous looking, the characters look amazing and anamations are spot on! Music is a bit of a mixed afair some classic remixes and at the same time in-game options music sounds like boy band guff.

Online is spot on too. lag is handled by slowing things down, which IMO is better than characters warping about the place. only 1 on 1 for the online so no spectating or multiple players in 1 room.
                Last edited by Goemon; 13-02-2009, 20:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post

EG. Ryu - Jumping heavy kick, crouching mid punch, crounching heavy punch, EX Spin kick, ex Dragon punch, ex focus cancel, ultra
                  How do you EX focus attack? Also, is that a standard target combo for Ryu like Ken's Medium punch --> Fierce punch?

...or am I talking shop here? XD

Comment

only 1 on 1 for the online so no spectating or multiple players in 1 room.
                    are you sure there is no lobby where you can get a few people in to fight with each other ?
                    this will make or break the game for me, I really want to play this online with some friends in the same lobby, 2 fighting and the rest watching the fight.... DOA4 had this and it was great !

I will be hugely dissapointed when there is no online lobby system in SFIV
                    Last edited by TheForce; 14-02-2009, 09:46.

Comment

The game feels very SF2.

Ryu - Jumping heavy kick, crouching mid punch, crouching heavy punch, EX Spin kick, ex Dragon punch, ex focus cancel, ultra.
                      Wow, it doesn't sound very SF2 to me.

I should have mine today (JPN PS3), but that combo madness sounds like teh suq.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by TheForce View Post
                        are you sure there is no lobby where you can get a few people in to fight with each other ?
                        this will make or break the game for me, I really want to play this online with some friends in the same lobby, 2 fighting and the rest watching the fight.... DOA4 had this and it was great !

I will be hugely dissapointed when there is no online lobby system in SFIV
                        There's a patch on official release date which allows more online functionality. Hopefully we'll something similar to what you want.

Comment

Will the DOA4 Arcade stick for 360 work? I am thinking of buying a converter for PS3. Is the stick any good and suited to this game? It seemed alright for DOA4 but i'm no expert so . . .

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                            Wow, it doesn't sound very SF2 to me.

I should have mine today (JPN PS3), but that combo madness sounds like teh suq.
                            I played it at the arcades and didn't think it was particularly combo-mad. I don't think that combo is one you can actually pull off in a fight due to the recovery times of the moves involved. Though I think jumping heavy kick and crouching medium punch into fireball/dragon punch is more like what I felt the game was about, combo-wise. Oh, and the focus attack/cancelling thing too.

Comment

EX focus attack is just the focus attack, it automatically becomes an EX when it is used to cancel a move mid way through.

Ryu's mid punch, heavy punch doesn't combo; it's a link move. There are a lot more link moves in SF4, some challenges specifically focus on them.

There's definitely more in there than just SF2 but it can very easily be played that way, I think this is to help people who only really play SF2 feel useful.

Yep, defo just 1 on 1 at the minute but I did hear there was a patch coming too.

The DOA stick works, I have a hori ex2. You can customise your controls so it's no problem.
                              Last edited by Goemon; 14-02-2009, 18:21.

Comment

Working...
                              X