Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yuusha 30 - a series of 30 second PSP RPGs (demo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yuusha 30 - a series of 30 second PSP RPGs (demo)

Official game website:
    ゲームへ、映像へ、音楽へ、ステージへ。 感動は、ボーダーを超えて。株式会社マーベラス【Marvelous Inc.】の公式ウェブサイトです。

I?m cross-posting this because ?Yuusha 30? on the PSP might be the most amazing thing I?ve seen so far in 2009. And since there?s a free demo available, which is NOT locked to your system account, everyone can download it and see for themselves.

Official trailer

It?s a series of 30-second long RPGs which, according to the trailer, will involve RPG, action, strategy and shooter gameplay (the demo covers the RPG and action bits). And it?s ridiculously good fun for a concept which shouldn?t work (an RPG, only 30 seconds long!).

You start off on a smallish map and need to make your way through towns and map areas, towards the demon king castle and defeat him. Random battles take the form of side-scrolling levels where you simply have to keep pushing into the enemy to attack. Winning battles raises levels and earns gold (in about 20 seconds I went up 5 levels and earned about 400 gold). Each area except for towns, the clock ticks down. In towns you can speak with people, buy equipment, heal, and in later levels, use a goddess statue to reset the clock back to 30 seconds, so some adventures will probably last a few minutes.

Imagine everything that defines a traditional RPG boiled down and concentrated, remove all the crappy annoying things, and then imagine 30 seconds of that injected into your brain. That?s Yuusha 30. Random battles, which are normally the bane of most RPGs, are awesome. They?re fun, and quick, and so painless and fluid that you end up loving them. Although they lack the complexity of other RPGs, it?s not a problem since the game is more about beating the clock and streamlining things. If you get low on health you tap Square Button to use a healing item, and everything zips along nicely.

The demo contains two levels, and in the second one I levelled up a bit, and then spent maybe 20 seconds hunting tigers in the woods to earn gold to reset the clock (which increases in price 100g each time you do it).

Gameplay video (not me)

I think the big problem with most JRPGs is that they?re 80-hours long and filled with padding, and maybe inventory management, random battles and overworld exploring would be fun, if it wasn?t so tedious. This takes all the good things and stuffs it down your throat in one go.

Oh, and it has some of the nicest, traditional, 2D sprite graphics I?ve seen. Just look at them!

My only disappointment is that this doesn?t seem likely to get a localisation. It?s just too weird. And everyone seems to be obsessed with stuff like Resistance and Phantasy Star at the moment. If you can, send emails to publishers, who knows, if enough people some interest this might be picked up.

Oh, and quick, get the demo NOW:
    PSP demo
    Last edited by Sketcz; 15-02-2009, 11:01.

Seriously, there's a free demo and no one is playing this?

Comment

I've played through the demo a few times now, and it's really fantastic. I hope somebody picks it up for a western release. Maybe even as a PSN only game rather than a UMD release, as that'd be less risky I'd imagine.

I'm tempted to import the Japanese version, even though I won't understand it, as I just like the idea so much.

Comment

This is nothing like the previous two Yuusha games then? Neither of those ever came to the west did they?

Comment

No, entirely different from the dungeon keeper style antfarm game, also on PSP.

But they're all pretty awesome. I'm actually playing through Yuusha no kuse ni namaiki da or2.

I guess our only hope is that a small publisher picks this up. Problem is there's not much internet coverage for them to gauge western anticipation. This has totally slipped under most people's radars.

Comment

That's an absolutely brilliant concept. I just watched this video, and it looks like so much fun.

Comment

Working...
            X