[DS] Puzzle Quest: Galactrix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DS] Puzzle Quest: Galactrix

These are impressions after only an hours play!

Puzzle Quest: BOTW is a fantastic game some, may even call it a revolution, combining RPG and puzzle gameplay to great results. Sadly Galacrtix lives nowhere near upto the first game, infact it is hard to tell they are from the same developer, this game feels like a bad rushed Puzzle Quest rip off set in space and not the sequal it should be.

I just can't understand what the developer was thinking, giving the game such a major overhaul.

As most of you wil know the core gameplay has had a HUGE overhaul and this is where my main problems lie. The new grid works in the way that the direction you match, is the direction the new tiles come in from. This would be ok if you could see maybe the next 10 tiles, so you know not to make some moves. However i seam to always make the wrong choice resulting in a huge combo (on the rival turn) and the rival causing me loads of damage. I am also finding it very hard to spot chains and the way the chain system works you can kill off a player in 1 good move, while rare this has happened a few times already in the first hours play.

This time your magic (now weapons) have to be recharged you can't use them even if you have the amount of magic you have to wait till they charge up and you could have lost it by then

The game focuses on 3 things

Warp gates - These are puzzles where you have to complete the list of matches within a set time. So it maybe red, blue, red, yellow, red, green... and you have to match 3 of that colour. Complete and you open that warp gate. These give you access to different parts of the galaxy.

Quests - These are a similar sort of thing to BOTW but with a space theme. However you will have to spend time opening warp gates to begin with to get access to the areas you need to complete them.

Mining - Here you have to match a set number of each item in order to gain your mined stock.

The way everything is setout can be daunting and quite complex to begin with, though i think i am getting the hang of certain things.

However i think the main problem is going to be (for me) the core gameplay (the puzzle bits) are just not fun anymore, they feel like a chore to me with everything being so random. I am not going to give up just yet but it has sure not grabbed me like the first game did.

One thing to note, the DS game is graphically very poor and is slow to react, which is already getting on my nerves a tad. Moves are made quite smoothly, but it can take a second for the game to notice any matches and eliminate from the grid.

The game also does not register your onscreen taps very well, while no problems in the puzzles/battles, navigating my ship and menus has resulted in the game just doing what it wanted at times. It also saves an awful lot which can be a drag if your going between areas a lot as it saves every time you enter or exit and area.
    Last edited by The Mole; 25-02-2009, 23:44.

Oh no! Been looking forward to this for ages

I really enjoyed the PC demo though, which was just an example battle. I don't think I ever managed to defeat the enemy for reasons you explained, but I did enjoy it a lot...

Comment

I also enjoyed the PC demo, but after playing the game they have overcomplicated things. Add to that the fact the core gameplay is no longer skill but luck it makes for a fustrating experience.

Comment

Oh. I'll still pick it up, being the addict that I am, but it doesn't sound too promising.

Comment

Rats - that is a shame... was also looking forward to this on XBLA

Comment

You guys may love it. I love my puzzle games and loved the first one, this one does not stack up for me, in a lot of areas. The more i play the more problems i am finding. At the moment i have a quest that requires me to mine for minerals. After you mine an astroid, it breaks up so can't be mined again. The way these levels are setup its not always possible to match the required amounts. Astroids are usually 2 per area and if you have one that does not contain anything (you do not know till you beat it) or you fail and it breaks up, then problems arise. I have mined 10 looking for what i need, the ones i do beat have nothing and the ones i dont beat break up.

FUSTRATING

Comment

Seems like everyone's just written this game off?
              I've been playing it for the last week or so after absolutely loving the original, and I think this one's just as good.
              The original started off being all about luck until you got some decent skills, and this is the same. It's a little more complex in terms of the puzzling parts but you get used to it just like with puzzle quest.
              Of course there's an element of luck - if you happen to get a load of matching stuff drop in after matching some gems - but again, it was the same with the first one.
              Adding recharge time on the items (skills) is a good thing IMO, as in the original if you had enough mana you could pretty much get a guaranteed win by the end of the game. On this you can only do so much in one go before you have to wait for a recharge.

Personally I reckon if you liked Puzzle Quest then you'll like this, you just have to give it a bit of time, and accept that it isn't exactly the same game.

Comment

Working...
              X