Retro Gamer Issue 61

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro Gamer Issue 61

Hi guys I wanted to bring this issue to your attention as there's a great interview with Shinji Mikami about Resident Evil and Duddyroar has delivered a fantastic piece on the Mega-CD.

The Making of Pac-Man
    The full story behind gaming's most iconic videogame character

Retroinspection - Mega-CD
    An exclusive behind the scenes look at Sega's doomed masterpiece

The Making of Resident Evil
    Series creator Shinji Mikami reveals how he resurrected survival horror

Classic Game - Jazz Jackrabbit

In the chair with - Jon Hare
    Everyone knows about Wizball and Sensible Soccer, but what do you know about the man behind the games?

You've got the touch
    Why Apple's iPhone is becoming a haven for retro games

From the Archives - Electronic Pencil Company
    Only four games, but what games!

Cheap as Chips - Blue Lightning
    Up and away with Epyx's hit blaster

Boss Rush - Bowser
    A look back at Mario's chief nemesis

Something Old Something New: Pac-Man Mobile
    A new spin on the classic franchise

Why you must play - Rod-Land
    In rod we trust

Import Only - Joy Mech Fight
    Robotic battling on the NES

Desert Island Disks - Tony Crowther
    He's worked on everything from Blagger to Burnout Paradise, but just how much do you know about Tony Crowther?

Looks like a pretty good issue. Tony Crowther is a legend. It will be interesting to read the interview with him. Captive really blew me away on my Amiga. Jon Hare is another legend - and always has interesting things to say.

Rod-Land

Comment

I liked the look of last month's issue, but I didn't have time to buy/read. Will pick this up the second this hits the news-stand. What day? Is it Thursday next week?

This mag doesn't really contain the style of writing I like, but it does what it does very, very well. Keep it up!

Comment

Not a whole lot of interest to me this month, but good to see Blue Lightning get some attention. I think it had a claim to the title of best handheld graphics all the way until the GBA was released.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
          Duddyroar has delivered a fantastic piece on the Mega-CD.

Comment

@ Duddyroar..nice article man ...

At last, RG has something that's of interest to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Stroppy View Post
              Not a whole lot of interest to me this month, but good to see Blue Lightning get some attention. I think it had a claim to the title of best handheld graphics all the way until the GBA was released.
              I dunno, I reckon SF2: CE for the PCE GT looked pretty tasty, as did Gunstar Heroes for the Sega Nomad

It would've been nice to see Shadowrun in the Import Only section as the icing on the cake for an excellent Retroinspection. I know I've been bleating on about that game a lot lately but I'm getting right into it. It is such an under-appreciated gem!

Comment

I'm surprised noone's mentioned the Resi Article. Shinji's answers are great.

Comment

has delivered a fantastic piece on the Mega-CD.
                  It was as usual well written and a great read . I feel I must be like a total knob and complain , that Batman Returns hardly got a look in . It really was the 1st game to show , what the extra hardware could do , and still remains in so many way the best example of the Mega CD scaling and rotation , Not only that , but is backed up an incredible soundtrack , and wicked old school game play .

As a Mega CD nut, More people should praise what John O'Brien did on the hardware , his engines in Cliffhanger and batman are the closest anyone ever got , to replicating the classic SEGA scalier coin ups from the 80's and 90's

Comment

Sorry TA, but there just wasn't enough room in the feature to give Batman Returns and O'Brien a look in, I had to cut a lot of chat Scot Bayless said to make the feature a realistic size - pretty much all of what he contributed was 100% solid gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar View Post
                      Sorry TA, but there just wasn't enough room in the feature to give Batman Returns and O'Brien a look in, I had to cut a lot of chat Scot Bayless said to make the feature a realistic size - pretty much all of what he contributed was 100% solid gold.
                      Don't worry , it was a great feature and I loved reading it .
                      Just that I feel everyone tends to praise Thunderhawk as the game that showed what the Mega CD could do , when Batman came out months earlier, featuring a better game engine , more colours , more parallax scrolling , more scaling and rotation and the most solid buildings that I ever seen in a 16 bit game of that era

It's a shame John O'Brien doesn't get more credit , and more of a shame that I think he works in a coffee shop now

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                        Don't worry , it was a great feature and I loved reading it .
                        Just that I feel everyone tends to praise Thunderhawk as the game that showed what the Mega CD could do , when Batman came out months earlier, featuring a better game engine , more colours , more parallax scrolling , more scaling and rotation and the most solid buildings that I ever seen in a 16 bit game of that era

It's a shame John O'Brien doesn't get more credit , and more of a shame that I think he works in a coffee shop now
                        I always thought Soulstar was the most impressive, especially the Twingan Ocean levels.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                          I always thought Soulstar was the most impressive, especially the Twingan Ocean levels.
                          Overall SoulStar pushed the Mega CD more than any other , that level where you go through a rock tunnel was jaw dropping, shame the game never saved and was too bloody hard

I still rather the Batman and Cliffhanger engine (even if they didn't have to handle 360 levels)

Comment

Yeah... top hole MegaCD feature, cracking read - Scott Bayless was a fantastic interviewee, loads of great anecdotes and erm... namedropping. Woudn't have described Todd Rundgren as a mere 'record producer' though.

Surprised not to see a mention of Sylpheed (unless it's in there somewhere and I didn't catch the mention). That was the one game that had me considering purchasing the system back in the day for its visual originality alone (though I'll admit Robo Aleste is a far more polished game). Dune, another MIA old favourite, deserves a mention if only for its incredible CD soundtrack. Nice to see Keio Flying Squadron and Thunderhawk there too though.

Comment

just read the Jon Hare article, nothing against him as I love the old sensi games on the Amiga but I'm bored of hearing about how great Sensible were blah blah.

maybe I'm in the minority but I've seen enough articles about him, Archer McLean and Jon Ritman now, there must be more tales to tell, people to interview from this era ?

Comment

Working...
                              X