The Shooting Love 200X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Shooting Love 200X

A Japanese 360 release by Triangle Service in case you didn't know (and why would you, 4,000 copies sold so far ) Its based on the Naomi arcade game The Shooting Love 2007 which features a Shmups skill test and Exzeal (sequel to Trizeal).

The package includes the following:

"Shmups skill test"
    Imagine a Warioware style vertical shooter with crap graphics and you're half way there. Several random levels that test your skill. Survive as long as you can blasting asterioids, dodging bullets or even bouncing cans into a recycle bin! A couple are lost in translation slightly, and some are more interesting than others (the 8 bit sytle ones are a highlight). The game gives you and your mad skillz a rating at the end.

You can select your own levels if you prefer and theres a 4 player mode where you can shoot your pals during the action. Its a decent idea overall although not exactly executed with flare.

"Exzeal"
    The sequel to Trizeal, the meat and potatoes really. A couple of nice new shot types including a charge shot and the side shot from XII Stag. If you liked Trizeal, you'll like this.

"Trizeal Remix"
    After a quick go I couldn't notice any differences other than different coloured bullets. Its Trizeal, you probably played it on Dreamcast.

"Minus Zero"
    "Only lock on shooting" It says, and it does exactly what it says on the tin. A basic yet oddly original shmup. More of a simplistic Geometry Wars approach to the visuals and actually, I have a feeling this could turn out to be one of the prettiest and most addictive things on the disc.

That's essentially what you get here. As you progress through the games you open up the option to play individual skill tests and levels for score.

The front end is pretty shabby to be honest, they could have thought of a more interesting way to present everything, but thats Triangle Service for you, a pretty amateur outfit. At least its functional and nigh on arcade perfect (*cough* 5pb.)

The graphics are really dated throughout of course. This is DC era hardware in the hands of the Trizeal people after all. However, what they lack in artistic and programming skill, they make up for in appreciation for the genre. There's a lot of old skool shooting content here for your money and although it shouldn't take priority over the likes of the Raidens, if you're a shmup fan who got something out of XII Stag or Trizeal, its well worth a look.
    Last edited by Super Monkey Balls; 27-02-2009, 15:01.

is this region locked?

Comment

According to PA

Comment

What are the Achievements like? They mostly seem to be secret, any idea what they might be?

And how is it in terms of Japanese text? Heavy or pretty understandable?

Swithering on ordering it at the moment... £52 is a lot of money for a curiosity, and I don't have either of the Raidens yet...
        Last edited by cavalcade; 27-02-2009, 18:03.

Comment

I watched the exzeal videos before...it reminded me of XII Stag, the scoring looked the same too, but could be wrong as its been years since I played it. £50 for the NTSC-J. (think it got a PAL release 62 years later) I was warned it was average. It was actually good in parts though.

Comment

Pretty much all menus are in English. The skill test instructions are in Japanese, most are obvious but a couple require trial and error.

I don't know about achievements. I don't give a crap about that ****, especially as most shmups give you achievements for completely random things and nothing for a genuine achievement like a 1CC. Achievements are for chumps.

Comment

Will it be up for sale next week then Joe?

Comment

I think I'll hold on to this...
                Killzone 2 however...

Comment

I see no point in region locking these Japanese shooters. They sell small quantities (I believe) so it's not like the dev/publisher can leverage a good advance on a foreign release because no western publisher will pick them up. At least if it was region free and say £20, there's quite a few people, myself included, who'd import a copy. There 4000 sales would at least double worldwide I'd imagine, there's a lot of shooter fans out there!

Comment

Maybe microsoft doesn't want them region free. They refused them for XBLA.

Comment

have to say i was a big fan of trizeal had a great score hook....loved the sound track to

Comment

Originally posted by Super Monkey Balls View Post
                        I don't know about achievements. I don't give a crap about that ****, especially as most shmups give you achievements for completely random things and nothing for a genuine achievement like a 1CC. Achievements are for chumps.
                        I wish you'd stop sitting on the fence about everything!

Comment

This is the internet, there's no such thing

Comment

Working...
                          X