Watchmen: The End Is Nigh [DEMO - PS3/360]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watchmen: The End Is Nigh [DEMO - PS3/360]

OK so downloaded the demo of this game. Didnt know what to expect as i did not ever read up on it. So here are some impressions. I only played the trial version.

The game starts out nicely. You get a choice of 2 characters. Rorschach or Nite Owl. After selecting your character you go into an awesome looking cut screen which ids very simple but looks just like a comic. In the demo you are given a 30 minute timer, so there is fun to be had.

Once in game, the graphics are not too bad.There are some nice effects going on, but it doesnt look that much better than a PS2 game. But here is where it starts to get bad. The amount of screen tearing was making me sick. Honestly. Once your inside of the prison it gets worse. At every turn of the camera the whole screen can tear at times. Also i noticed a few framerate hiccups.

Controls seem very bland. You start out with such a simple set of moves. Square for fast and Triangle for Heavy. R1 is to block. During the course of the game you collect these little bulb things which unlock new moves such as Throw attacks or combos. Also You get to pick up prison in mates weapons. One nice feature is that as your doing a combo it shows what you have pressed so far, and if its a "stun" combo for example, finished with a big "stun" going through it.

Gameplay is where it gets even worse. This game is just so bland. From the first courtyard peice you really have seen it all. I completed the whole demo, and for the super high price for a PSN game i would not touch this. Its just waves after waves of the same looking dudes coming at you, and all you do is hit square and triangle. Its sort of like Hunter: The Reckoning, although that was actually fun. This is just dull. Sure you can get weapons and combos but really It just doesnt feel satisfying. Its so bland. I'm sure part of this is because your character doesnt feel like he has any life to him. It is so light to control, it makes them seem i dont know, lifeless.

I cant see why the asking price is so high. Any questions ask away. Because i wouldnt waste the 1263mb download. I wish i could have it back. Dull dull dull.
    Last edited by Cuber001; 04-03-2009, 11:57.

Could't agree more. Downloaded the trial (PS3). completed it and was bored senseless. Now Deleted.

Comment

Yep will delete mine soon. Played through it twice. Same ols ****. Even worse is what the developers tried to obviously call, advancing yet have you going through different rooms, which are obviously just cut and pasted from the room before hand. Also notice the prisoners? Go up to a cell or have a look past the locked gates, they just sit there doing the same lifeless motion over and over. Nobody buy this game. At such a high price we need to show them we gamers are not idiots. Go buy NOBY NOBY BOY instead. Its so much better, at a fraction of the price.

Comment

You can acually finish the trial? O_o

I'm playing it now. I acually don't mind this, i think the combat is decent and the animation preety slick.
        Last edited by SuperBeatBoy; 04-03-2009, 14:09.

Comment

It's kinda fun as a prelude to the film coming out on Friday, but 1600 points seems ludicrous for what is a pretty basic brawler. I like the graphic novel, and I'm a big fan of scrolling beat 'em ups but this really isn't worth spending your points on going by what the demo has to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero9X View Post
            You can acually finish the trial? O_o

I'm playing it now. I acually don't mind this, i think the combat is decent and the animation preety slick.
            oh come on, ?13.00 for it is taking the urine big time!

Comment

Of course, price is definetly taking the piss. I'm not going to buy it myself at that. I do like the combat though.

Comment

This so isn't worth the price.

As a Watchmen fan who presently has a massive hard on for all things Watchmen (now there's an image for you) it was nice to see Rorschach's mask moving about but the cut and paste rooms full of cut and paste enemies are terrible.

Yes it's got higher production values and it has an old school brawler vibe but playing through six levels (at least twice if I want all the achievements) is going to make my fingers bleed.

Comment

I quite enjoyed the demo it felt like Streets of Rage or Final Fight in 3D but the price tag of 1600ms points is way too high i was hoping it would be lower than that.

Comment

Quite enjoyable smacking people in the head (similar to real life then really), but couldn't understand why you had to 'earn' moves through the demo, why not just give them to you straight away would have made it more interesting. If it was 800pts would give it a shot. Not bad, just not great, but fairly enjoyable.
                    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Great character models for the two leads, lighting is pretty good. Nice to hear they got the actors from the film into to do the voice over.

The rest is ****.

Comment

Wow. How terrible is this?! Easily the most repetitive game I've played in a long while. They're having a laugh for 1600 points.

Comment

What absolute drivel, as it was always and so predictably going to be.

Don't even give the demo space on your hard drive people.

Comment

I thought it was ... okayish. I suspect that the demo shows most of what can be expected from the full game though. Certainly not interested enough to purchase (regardless of the price). Well, maybe if it was 400 points.

Comment

I didn't think it was too bad. It's a lot less repetitive than most other brawlers. The enemies get harder as you move through the prison and you gradually unlock more moves and get more weapons. On the surface the enemies might look the same, but there are differences (the guys with the rolled up sleeves punish you if you try a heavy attack face on).

Quite good, but I've got too many games to play now to buy the full version.

Comment

Working...
                              X