Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all collectors and non collectors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've found the older i get the les i care about my visual quality....at 12 i nearly refused less than rgb scart..

This month ive resorted to composite and woe...RF, no problem.

Comment

^ Other way around for me... I didn't know what an RGB Scart was then. Mainly because my TV only had RF...

Comment

In many ways, I've become pickier with age - especially with things like being able to disable blur filters, connection quality etc. On the other hand, as I've realised there's more to the world than what I saw as a teenager, the more fussy aspects of gaming have seemed rather trivial compared to other elements on my life. But this is OT.

Comment

Originally posted by Cauterize View Post
          Nothing will ever beat playing the original game with the original controller.
          Maybe for the Famicom, where you want that simplicity, or the Saturn, which just has a brilliant pad, but outside of those I'd have to disagree. I mean as much as I adore my Dreamcast it's controller is an abomination. I'm also pretty sure I prefer the Wii-mote or Classic Controller to that mis-shapen piece of crap you get with an N64.

And what about PS1/PS2 games? Surely most would prefer the weightier, wireless and all around more cultured Dual Shock 3 over it's previous incarnations?

Comment

You just can't beat original hardware IMO. It's like how movie fans will still go to see classic movies in the cinema even if they've seen it on DVD - it's the way the work was intended to be experienced. Modern controllers just aren't suited to retro games. Even the Wii remote held sideways has too-small buttons. Then you have all the other benefits to consider, like having great boxart and manuals or even just having the pleasure of owning a physical cart.

Original hardware is also the only sure way to get a perfect game experience and/or range of titles given how many developers - Nintendo included - seem to see retro downloads as an easy cash-in. The emulation is often imperfect or just 'feels diffenet', and they often ruin the authenticity of the games by tinkering with them (like the redone music and transparency effects in Contra and other XBLA arcade ports). Even when it's as straight-up emulation as you'd like such as on the Virtual Console, there's still tonnes of crap to wade through and the pricing is rarely competitive against owning the actual carts / discs.

Comment

My rose tinted glasses have well and truly crumbled this year. Sold a lot of stuff and the furthest back my retro collection goes now is the Dreamcast. Pretty much everything previous to that is emulation-able and since having a child space here is at a premium, so off it went.

I got to the stage where the sight of it all on my shelves brought home how much i had spent on it, that annoyed me, just so i could mention them once in a blue moon on internet forums. Would now much rather play a game for a few quid if i fancied it, once i turn it off can't even see it. This for me far outweighs the 'original hardware' argument.

Also collecting/completing brought in a lot of ****e, the majority of which i didn't have the time to play anyway, plus if i saw something for sale here that i 'needed' () i had to get it as it may not come round again for ages. Downloads have put paid to that element.

Emulation all the way.

Comment

Working...
              X