First sign of madness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ady View Post
    They say that talking to yourself is the first sign of madness. However, I recently read somewhere that doing so is in fact perfectly normal and healthy.
    I wouldn't know about that, but isn't like singing under the shower? Just an expression to make anyone else hear you?
    Now, I refrain from singing because I'm extremely bad, but I can't hide that sometimes I talk to myself when all alone...a coworker of mine has the habit of talking whatever she's doing and I won't classify her as mad.

Comment

I talk to myself when im driving on my own, its strange but when im driving I just find it a nice time to think things through/work stuff out.

I never talk aloud to myself though when others are around.

Slightly off topic, you know the kind of talking to ones self which is usually all about ones self, well I do have a mate that rings me up sometimes and babbles on like that for ages, its 95% him and the other 5% me saying Hmm and Yea and Cool, the thing is most of what he says is like hes talking to himself and many times will repeat the same things 2 to 4 times over, does my head in and seriously it can go on for nearly two hours a time, not to mention when I do occasionally try to say more than two words he starts talking through me.

Its the curse of being a bit of a quiet guy, those that are the opposite think you really enjoy listening to them talk non stop for ages, when really you just want them to shut the hell up but your just too polite to say so.
      Last edited by mikewl; 07-03-2009, 17:14.

Comment

I talk to myself all the time, I even run through scenarios in my head and talk them thru paticuarly going for pormotion interviews etc etc.

If I am slightly crazy I couldnt honestly give a feck, I am who I am. End of.

It makes us all more interesting..........

Comment

I sing that Bros song sometimes. When will I ,will I be famous.

Can't help it like

Comment

Originally posted by Ady View Post
            So you're telling me you've never so much as swore at the screen when playing a game, not so much as even a "What the f*ck!?" when a game skanks you!?

What are you, a monk?
            I don't think cursing under your breath in frustration is in quite the same league as giving a running verbal commentary of your thoughts. That is just weird

Comment

I don't really talk to myself, I find him far too argumentative for my liking!

Not really sure if it's the same thing but I talk my way through whatever I'm writing at the time to get a different slant on the words.

Comment

As a person who has a mildish form of Tourettes, I talk to myself quite a lot, not when people are about (although if I do something that causes me embarrassment, I will f*ck and splutter under my breath when constantly revisiting the thought-experience of whatever happened). Speaking to others in my circle of peeps I know, I have found that many of them DO talk to themselves when alone and a fair percentage of them feel like they're going nuts. But they aren't, and it's very common to talk to one's self, especially when one has an active mind.

When someone starts hearing voices that aren't part of their natural thought processes, voices they can't control, then that IS something to be concerned about - it could point to the start of a mental breakdown or possible schizophrenia.

As for MattyD, I think your posts on this topic are vulgar disinformation and you should apply to be a Community Psychiatric Nurse forthwith(!)

Comment

Talking to yourself is fine, it's when you start talking to other people that aren't there that you need to start worrying - and by then, it'll be too late!

Comment

I talk to myself, but then I realise thats crazy so I go back to burning things.

Comment

I always thought the first sign of Madness was Suggs walking up your drive?

Comment

Originally posted by FullSpecWarrior View Post
                        I always thought the first sign of Madness was Suggs walking up your drive?

With some fishfingers under his arm?

And why didn't Madness ever respond to Iron Maiden's 1988 release 'Can I Play With Madness'? Perhaps the answer was "No, it's bathnight and they've got school tomorrow? And BTW, get yer hair cut!"

Comment

I'm mad and I talk aloud sometimes... erm... yeah... not sure you wanted to hear that

But it's unusual for me not to hear someone muttering, cursing, or running things through aloud to make it easier to clarify. I do on occasional. For some reason actually hearing the words in my ears as opposed to just running it in my brain makes it easier to remember.
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I used to hear voices (mostly shouting and screaming) - and still do sometimes - at night.... The sounds race from one side of my head to the other... Or sometimes like an echoe in my mind. Not very pleasant really.I've never tried talking back to those voice - i suppose it's more like gibberish or muttering - but regardless, they sound very angry....

-It's actually an episode known as Twilight Zone... It used to happen a lot during my childhood, now only here and there (though admittably much more recently due to stress and whatnot)

...But generally speaking i find i talk aloud quite a lot when i'm by myself or even sometimes when people are around (- not on purpose though, things just come out!) - I refer to myself as "Mr. Adam"

*wanders off into the kitching muttering "Come on Mr. Adam, time for a cup of tea. Remember sugar this time..."*
                            Last edited by Adam Stone; 11-03-2009, 10:37.
                            ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

I used to do this a lot when I was working nights and clearing floors of a mostly empty office block. It was mainly along the lines of "what are you doig here, I cleared this floor" while adressing a mug.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                                I'm mad and I talk aloud sometimes... erm... yeah... not sure you wanted to hear that

But it's unusual for me not to hear someone muttering, cursing, or running things through aloud to make it easier to clarify. I do on occasional. For some reason actually hearing the words in my ears as opposed to just running it in my brain makes it easier to remember.
                                I always thought people who obsessively collect c64 cartridges were a bit suspect!

Comment

Working...
                                X