No Gravity: The Plague of Mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Gravity: The Plague of Mind

Downloaded this from PSN (it's a PSP game), and played through the first few missions. Seems pretty good so far.

It's a space combat game along the lines of Wing Commander or Colony Wars. Seems to be strictly mission based, rather than having an open Elite or Freelancer type of structure. It's apparently a sequel to a free PC game, but I've not played the original.

Graphically, it looks really nice, if a touch overdone in terms of bloom and static effects at times (they sometimes make things a bit hard to see when you're taking damage and stuff is blowing up around you). Runs at a fairly solid 60fps too, which is nice to see.

Controls work well on the PSP with rolling on the shoulder buttons, and turning on the analogue stick. There's a bit of auto aim and a targetting system to help out. You get a choice of playing from an in-cockpit view or an external camera. I'm tending to use the external view more, as it's easier to see where attacks are coming from. My main criticism of the game so far is that it's a bit difficult to get a good overview of what's going on generally and you can sometimes be taking damage without being entirely sure what you can do about it. That might come with practice, though, as I'm only a few missions in.

Another slight criticism is that the story and mission text is slightly awkward in places. I assume it's a translation or written by a non-native speaker as it's often oddly phrased and has a few errors. There's no speech in the game, presumably to keep the download small, and the in-mission dialogue and instructions feel a bit flat as a result. I've always liked radio chatter in space combat games ever since Starblade.

Anyway, that's a few quick first impressions. Promo video here:

Working...
X