Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bomb Jack - Classic Arcade Game

BOMB JACK

Bomb Jack is a majestic experience. When I'm in the mood for truly special old-school thrills - this is the game I play. If anyone wants to witness game design perfection, this is where it's at. From the dazzling title screen onwards... the game offers effervescent magic for the eyes and soul.

It really is that special. The main character is a fun creation and a joy to control. Flying around the levels feels amazingly exciting and satisfying. The expertly realised baddies are crafty critters intent on bringing you down to earth with a bang. Then you have the sensational visuals, which are eye-achingly vibrant and glorious to behold. The audio is also a delight. Fizzy, electric, upbeat, hypnotic, are a few words that will spring to mind as you play.

The gameplay offers pure easy to grasp amusement. With plenty of room for skill, it's also a game you'll get better and better at. It's one of those games that you'll always come back to, simply because it's so much fun.

Bomb Jack is an intoxicating, wondrous masterwork.

Gold Star Award

Last edited by Leon Retro; 15-03-2009, 15:00.

Used to play that alot back in the day, making sure you followed the bomb patterns to get the big bonus scores.

Comment

Originally posted by bingo83 View Post
      Used to play that alot back in the day, making sure you followed the bomb patterns to get the big bonus scores.
      Yep, there are things to learn. It's quite tricky, but.. once you get in the zone it's surprising how good you can be. The controls feel just right. It's such a satisfying game. A lot of games from that time period[early to mid 80s] aren't really my cup of tea, but.. Bomb Jack is a perfect in every department. Definitely in my Top20 games.

Comment

I played the C64 version when I was a kid and never really got hooked on it. Then I tried the ST version a while later and it was even worse. So I sort of wrote the whole idea of Bomb Jack off. Then, many years later, I ended up with the Sega SG-1000 conversion (of all things)... and it finally clicked. Graphically unimpressive, but a really fun game.

Embarrassingly enough, I've never actually played the arcade original. Well, maybe once in a kebab shop sometime in the 80's, they certainly had the game and that means I probably tried it, but my memories of the whole thing are a bit hazy. Probably should get around to it then.

Comment

I loved this game on the humble speccy, good memories.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
            I loved this game on the humble speccy, good memories.
            Same here, the speccy version was sublime.

Comment

Fantastic game on the arcade and spectrum. Narrowly avoiding enemies and squeezing through impossible gaps is a joy.

The C64 version isn't as good as the ability of bombjack to hover / change direction is less, making the game more difficult.

I take it the game loops endlessly? Seem to recall getting to about level 20.

Comment

Originally posted by jnm23 View Post
                Fantastic game on the arcade and spectrum. Narrowly avoiding enemies and squeezing through impossible gaps is a joy.

The C64 version isn't as good as the ability of bombjack to hover / change direction is less, making the game more difficult.

I take it the game loops endlessly? Seem to recall getting to about level 20.
                I've never played the 8-bit computer versions. I first discovered the game in the late 90s on mame

I'm not a fan of many early coin-ops, with only Robotron springing to mind as a great experience that I still enjoy. Bomb Jack came later than that, but.. it's still part of that gaming period, where hardware was basic, and the games were focused on scores, rather than completion.

You are right, when you say the fun comes from narrowly avoiding the baddies and managing to fly through small gaps. Once you get in the flow of the game - it becomes really hypnotic.

I reckon the visuals are excellent. They look perfect for what the game is. The sound is the cherry on top of a great package. Close your eyes and imagine you're in an arcade of the 80s. It's beautiful.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 15-03-2009, 15:02.

Comment

Working...
                X