Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to Chipshop 2000 in Liverpool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't remember the staff to be honest, sorry I do remember the arcade machines they had in though. Specifically Robocop and Combat School. I don't suppose you have any pictures of the store? I'd love to see it again. Oh and hi!

Comment

When I was a lad, I'd go into Liverpool city centre, head to City Software, Bit n Bytes, the one in St John's Market (I forget the name), then spend the rest of the afternoon in Aladdin's Palace arcade, trying to play SFII and some Neo Geo. Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
        When I was a lad, I'd go into Liverpool city centre, head to City Software, Bit n Bytes, the one in St John's Market (I forget the name), then spend the rest of the afternoon in Aladdin's Palace arcade, trying to play SFII and some Neo Geo. Good times.
        The one in Saint John's was Micro Bytes.
        I also remember the Robocop arcade cabinet in Bits & Bytes.

Comment

that's the one! Had a couple of small TVs playing the latest Megadrive/SFC games in stock. I bought Ringside Angel from there

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
            that's the one! Had a couple of small TVs playing the latest Megadrive/SFC games in stock. I bought Ringside Angel from there
            Yep. I remember going there as a kid. Staff I remember were the manager, Ken and Lee Whalley, who was well in to his pirating on the Magicom as it was called at that point. Or was it the UFO first? I know the pro Fighter and Wild card came later.

Comment

I always wondered where I picked up my Super wildcard. Oops

Comment

I always wondered where people got those devices back in the day.

Comment

It’s always nice to see this thread pop up every few years, from new and old members alike…

Does anyone remember the name of the import game store, that was in Cavern Walks? I remember being introduced to importing back then, where I purchased my first ‘universal adapter’ there…

Comment

Games Magik! I LOVED that place. Got SFII in there, so it'll always be special.

Comment

GamesMagick was the best of all the stores. I'm sure I've already posted this but as the company was closing, they liquidated everything. I got some amazing deals. Sure I paid a fiver for a brand new Valis III on Mega Drive.
                      The big guy, Dug went to HMV. I ended up working with Dug in HMV before he moved on the the head office in London and I took over the games department. Oh man, to think that was way back in 1997.
                      Last edited by Yakumo; 18-05-2022, 23:17.

Comment

Ah nice… Games Magik… I could never remember the name. I remember the big chap you mentioned Yakumo - nice lad from what I recall.

What’s interesting is that the store unit is still there in Cavern Walks Shopping Arcade - although I think it is now a vaping store (last I checked pre covid).

Now this might test your memory. Back when the Chip Shop was on Wood Street, there was a young lad who worked there call Ciaran, with long hair. Does anyone know what happened to that guy? He was friendly in a ‘spaced out’ sort of way…

Maybe I should re-read this thread again, as I may have already asked this question

For such a small city, it really did have some gaming boutique charm to it, back in the day… These days, to experience that feeling of a cool game store, you kind of need to create your own games den at home. Or better yet, view some of the treasure troves on YouTube.

Comment

Oh man, I remember Ciaran. I remember trying to explain to him that Virtua Cop on the Saturn was NOT full motion video . Really nice guy but sometimes his opinions on games were quite bizarre.
                          Sadly I don't know what happened to him once the Chip Shop closed down.

Comment

Here's one, I don't think anyone has mentioned City Software on Lime Street yet. It was a bit further up from Aladdin's Cave on the opposite side of the road.
                            I went yo school with a kid who's dad ran the place. I wasn't really too fond of the shop as it was more for the home computer gamer. At the time I was (and still am) in to the consoles, especially Japanese imports.

Comment

Hi, it's Roy I worked in bits n bytes, and been trying to get in touch with Kenny murgatroyd, we were good friends back in the day. Don't suppose you've heard from him lately?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                                Here's one, I don't think anyone has mentioned City Software on Lime Street yet. It was a bit further up from Aladdin's Cave on the opposite side of the road.
                                I went yo school with a kid who's dad ran the place. I wasn't really too fond of the shop as it was more for the home computer gamer. At the time I was (and still am) in to the consoles, especially Japanese imports.
                                Have a look on the previous page...

Comment

Working...
                                X