Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to Chipshop 2000 in Liverpool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to Chipshop 2000 in Liverpool?

I know that most people on here had a mixed experience with this shop in Liverpool, but was wondering what happened, as I went past the other day and saw that the shop had been turned into a guitar shop.
    Any ideas if it's just moved or permanently closed?
    Thanks

Whereabouts was it? The name doesn't ring a bell sorry (though I live in Southport - only work in Liverpool)

Comment

It was on Slater Street and had been there since 1993 I think.

Comment

I think it's unfortunately closed down. Used to know a guy who worked there (Dale, huge guy). I remember a friend of his telling me that it'd closed down =( Some issue with rent, I think?? Don't quote me on that one. This was a while ago and my memory is hazy XD

Comment

That's a shame. Don't suppose you know if the store opened up somewhere else?

Comment

Nice shop to visit. Pricey like. I guess the internet has bullied it into closing.

Anyone remember Aladdin's Palace and Las Vegas arcades? Used to go to AP to play SFII back in the day and LV for Ridge Racer and big screen SSFIIT

Comment

I remember going to Alladins palace to play on operation wolf!
              Those were the days!! Don't suppose you remember city software or bits and bytes in central station do you?

Comment

Originally posted by sanjeev View Post
                I remember going to Alladins palace to play on operation wolf!
                Those were the days!! Don't suppose you remember city software or bits and bytes in central station do you?
                I remember Bits n Bytes. It had a few arcades in the past too. I remember playing Robocop there and Combat School.

I remember City Software, but I can't remember where it was exactly.

Do you remember the shop in St John's Precint? The name escapes me. It was a bit more cleaner looking than your average indy, but it did stock import games. I bought gems such as Magical Flying Hat from there and... Ringside Angel

Comment

Bits and Bytes was ledge! Got loads of game in there, after it moved into Central. City Software was quality back then too- got Pitfall 2 for the 2600 in there.

There was a time just about when Chip Shop moved into that place opposite the Palace when there was loads of little games shops round that area (with bazillions of SNES carts mainly). Loads of record shops too. Big shame all that's gone. Chipshop finished a while ago. The main bloke was a raw scal- never knew his Andre the Giant mate was called Dale though. I knew one lad that used to work in there through skating. I remember one time he hung off the top of the fountain near St George's Hall by his fingertips. Mental bastard.

Anyone used to go to Computer Adventure World in Birkenhead? They had that ad over the escalators at Central for years, even for ages after it closed down. Shee-it, buying games ain't what it used to be.
                  Last edited by endo; 10-05-2022, 10:49.

Comment

went to Computer Adventure World once coz it was only place that had 10th Frame

and I know who you mean when you say "Andre the Giant" lol Did he work there or just linger there?
                    Last edited by hudson; 02-04-2009, 00:02.

Comment

I used to go to Liverpool specifically to pick up some imports goodness from Chipshop 2000. That's about 230 miles from where I live.
                      The shop must have been closed for at least 5 years though. It was cluttered and a bit pricey but had a great selection of games, systems and oddities.

Comment

No, I defo spotted it open last year sometime.

Comment

I have a feeling I missed out on a good shop here. I live about half an hour away from Liverpool and never saw this shop

Comment

It was good in its day, but with the advent of online importers it inevitably ended up being super expensive, even though he always had a decent selection of stuff in there.

Comment

I remember asking how much it would be for them to Afterburner my GBA - *two mins later* after checking Lik-Sang - "OK about ?50?" - for this I replied "I might just go on Lik-Sang".

It is cnuts like me who have killed the indie store really, and the paragraph above says it all. I liked going in there to stare at the import releases, the card colour gamebox scans, I saw the Xbox running there for the first time with Dead or Alive.

Comment

Working...
                              X