'Cancelling' mobile phone contracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

future reference:

Vodafone will only cancel your contract on receipt of a signed letter asking them to do so

i personally thought and every company i've been with wanted a letter confirming the cancellation

Comment

If you had itemized billing with 3, then it should prove you phoned them, and so they should have a record of your conversation (just in case they are lying that they have no record of your call)

Comment

That's the thing - they have no record of it, and even if they did, how difficult would it be for them to mysteriously lose that record?

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
          future reference:

Vodafone will only cancel your contract on receipt of a signed letter asking them to do so

i personally thought and every company i've been with wanted a letter confirming the cancellation
          thats not true, you can do it over the phone, email or letter depends who you get on the phone as to what they will ask you to do

and imo best way to end a contract is to get the pac code and either port it to your new provider or just port it to a payt sim card, means that you know its been done and take 3-5days not 30

Comment

My vodafone contract is up for renewal soon and I am looking round for a new deal and provider.

I have been with vodafone since the analogue days so I never seem to get a good deal when I call so I think it may be time to try someone new.

I hardly use my phone for calls at all mainly texts and I would like unlimited internet. Anyone got any suggestions of a good package to go for? I really dont care what phone it is (but have always liked nokias for texting)
            Thanks all

Comment

Originally posted by mt50 View Post
              thats not true, you can do it over the phone, email or letter depends who you get on the phone as to what they will ask you to do
              afraid you're wrong its in the terms and conditions

and i've been with Vodafone on and off for years and they've always requested a letter and it makes sense to send a letter just to make sure its all done and dusted

the pac code actually puts a 30 day termination on your account, which gives your new provider loads of time to take over your account

Comment

You can avoid writing to Vodafone, it just depends on your circumstances.

If you are moving to another supplier then ask Vodafone for your PAC, they must do everything 'within reason' to supply that to you within 2 working days of your original request so they won't want written confirmation. When I moved I wasn't originally going to take the same number but I really wasn't interested in entertaining the idea of writing to them.

Bear in mind that ordering a PAC does not cancel your account, that will only happen when you give the PAC to your new supplier within 30 days of that PAC being activated.

It's also worth remembering that suppliers are permitted to charge you a fee for supplying a PAC but Vodafone don't, or at least they didn't a couple of months ago.

It's not an absolute way to avoid having to waste time writing in but it was suitable for me as I got the PAC in the post the 2 days later and my number was with my new supplier 2 days after that.

EDIT:
                It's always worth having a look on ofcom.org to get more info.

Dealing with Ofcom is a part of my work and their site isn't always crystal clear if you don't have a background in this stuff but a lot of it is designed for consumers and is worth checking.
                Last edited by JP; 15-07-2009, 16:00.

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                  afraid you're wrong its in the terms and conditions

and i've been with Vodafone on and off for years and they've always requested a letter and it makes sense to send a letter just to make sure its all done and dusted

the pac code actually puts a 30 day termination on your account, which gives your new provider loads of time to take over your account
                  i work for vodafone mate, not saying your wrong just it can be done over the phone or via email(infact email is the best way now tbh)
                  and if you ask for your pac code that wont put you in to terminate we will give you your pac code and if you dont use it within those 30days it is valid for then your account will carry on with a 30day rolling contract.

Comment

they still dont charge for PAC codes

i was going to leave them in May, they sent the PAC and then offered me the deal i wanted in the beginning

so i with them for another 12 months

since you work for Vodafone, they've recently binned roaming charges to 38(ish) countries and the ship i'm joining deploys for 4 months to teh states next year (just as my contract is coming to an end)

would it be worthwhile staying with them or leaving as i'm currenting intending too

just didn't want to have a contract whilst i'm at sea unable to use it, but if its cheap to phone from new york using my mobile it might be worthwhile having it

if that makes sense

Comment

no cheap calls from the usa its ?1.49 to ?1.69 a min atm. though that may change later in the year.
                      you could drop to a sim only deal for 4 months(?40 total) and then when you get back get an upgrade as that will get you a better deal than just taking out a nerw deal imo.

Comment

Working...
                      X